Dell Inspiron 5100 / about every eight to nine months, the computer would overheat and randomly shut down

1 United States

I bought a Dell Inspiron in 2003. Over the years, about every eight to nine months, the computer would overheat and randomly shut down. I would lose information. My email would get messed up because of it. Each time, tech support would send someone out to replace the faulty fan. It occurred again 1 day before my warranty expired. When I called tech support, I was told that they had to look into the history and would call me back. They never called me back. When I called to find out what the deal was, they told me that they didn't have a record of my call (which is amazing because I received an email requesting I fill out a survey on how the call went). I was also told that my warranty had expired and that I could either (1) pay for the thing to be fixed or (2) send it in to tech support and they'll fix it and send it back...my work computer...gone for a few days! That is about as helpful as throwing it out a window. I WILL NEVER BUY A DELL AGAIN and I hope now one else does.