Dell Financial Services / unresolved account problem!

1 Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada Review updated:

I bought a computer from Dell last summer for 1815.77 and financed it for three months of free interest. Big mistake, as this means dealing with Dell Financial. I paid through Visa in full in Oct. of 2007. Visa paid Dell Computer. Dell Computer still has my full payment. Dell Financial (DFS) went into my bank account and took payments in Nov and Dec. Dell Financial won't trace this payment and backdate it. They are also rude to the point of being abusive. They just say they aren't Dell computers and blame me for paying the wrong company. I spent a lot of my time at the bank getting them the confirmation number and Dell reference number (at their behest) but they wouldn't do anything after I did.

I finally, after much frustration, found a Dell Computer rep. (it wasn't easy, but he was on the BBB website as a contact). He has traced the payment. He wanted the same information I had already given Dell finance. When he found the payment, he said it had been flagged by Dell Finance because they don't accept transfer balance payments. I guess they make more interest that way.

I am still waiting for this refund. Instead of refunding me the total, Dell charged another 1815.77 to Visa account. Apparently this was reversed and it should be in my credit card account one day soon. When they do refund it, I am supposed to pay DFS. For certain, Dell finance is going to try to charge me interest on the total as though I hadn't paid in full on Oct. 2. I am going to face months of problems. I have already received calls and a letter regarding my Januray payment.

I don't like dealing with DFS at all because they're so rude. I am probably going to need a lawyer to deal with the ###. I've already spent hours and hours...

The moral of the story is don't do Dell. Not ever.

Comments

• Tr
      15th of May, 2008

I got a computer through Dell financial services. I lived out of town at the time so used my friends name and address. Dell had my SIN number, my bank info, and my email address. I find out 2 months later that somehow Dell said that its not under my credit but my friends

After dealing with that situation I got an email from Dell saying its under me and that its not a problem. Few months later Dell phones my friend cause I missed a payment. They told him its under his credit and to go to the police and file a fraud report because I used his SIN number and agreed to put it under his credit because I was declined. Even tho After I got the computer, I bought a car, got a $1000 credit card and a $3000 loan from my bank because of my "Amazing credit for someone my age"

Long story short Dell said they fixed the problem but didn't, refuse to do anything about and also am thinking of getting a lawyer. Apparantly my friends credit is screwed because of this and he can;t get anything on credit because of the balance on the computer. If Dell would have said they didn;t fix the problem, I could of found a way to pay this off ASAP. And not have him go to the cops to file a fraud report so his credit can go back to normal. Frustrating.

• Ba
      18th of Dec, 2008

I am having the identical problem. I paid Dell Computers instead of Dell Financial. When purhcasing a Dell computer you get so much paperwork, and I mean pages and pages from Dell and Dell Financial Services.
    Then of course it is almost impossible to get answers from people who can barely speak English, and who can barely be understood.
    I purchased, and paid for this computer in September. Four payments have now come out of my bank account on top of the full payment amount I submitted to Dell. After endless frustrating converstations with Dell Computers in India, they finally issued a refund cheque to Dell Financial in my name. Dell Financial says no such thing exists. I have the email, case number and receipt number from Dell Computers, but still Dell Financials says it doesn't exist.
    I have just forwarded Dell Financial services the email I received from Dell Computers, and am now waiting to see what the next screw up will be. I have advised them that if the money is not refunded to me, or my Dell Financial account by Dec 31 I will be starting litigation in small claims court.
    Never, NEVER, NEVER deal will Dell, or Dell Financial services.

10th of Jul, 2009

I have the same problem right now. I am going to send a money order to them and send it Registered Mail. I am then going to my bank to stop payments to them after I pay them off. Did you ever get this dealt with? Did you get your money back...worst thing is there is no live person to deal with. My original cost was 1850. I have paid on it almost two years...55 dollars a month and only have paid off 200.00 of the totallllll...scammers...wish i read this before I bought...

• Ca
      7th of Aug, 2009

I have 2 accounts with Dell for 2 different computers.
    I have been dealing with them for several years now, and have already paid off 2 other computers in full, and had no issues or problems with payments. My account was actually in very good standing.
    In June of this year, I was in a position to pay the entire amount off for the other 2 accounts, so I checked online and by phone to find out the total buyout amount. I sent 2 bank certified cheques to them for the total amount as of that date. I was a little slow getting them into the mail, as I work odd retail hours and don't drive, so it's hit and miss trying to get to the post office during open hours.
    About 2 weeks into June, I called Dell to notify them that 2 cheques for a total of X amount were on the way, and that I had put a stop payment on any more payments coming out of my account. That`s when he informed me that there was still $24 owing. Apparently, in the time since I had checked the buyout amount and had the cheques drawn up and mailed, it had passed the interest period, so there was still $9 left on one account, and $15 on the other.
    I realize it`s my own stupid fault for forgetting to send the payment right then, because, as I said, I can't always make it to the post office, so it slipped my mind, and the next thing I knew, I was getting notices that 2 more autopayments had come back to them, and I was receiving daily, multiple phone messages to call Dell Financial. That in my opinion, amounts to harassment.
    I was finally able to call them. They informed me about the bounced payments. I said, "Yes, I know. I already told your company that they couldn't take any more payments from that account, as I have put a stop payment on it."
    I offered to make a payment then and there using a credit card, but they don't take credit card payments over the phone. The girl said that she was going to check and see if they might possibly waive the interest, since the account was pretty much paid off, and the interest was simply because of bad timing. She never did get back to me.
    I got another round of daily, multiple calls, so I called them back and asked them to please stop with all the calls, as I was very tired of it. That particular day, I had 6 messages from them on my voicemail, but it's possible that was spread over 2 days.
    I also told them that I had been given the impression that the interest was going to be waived, and I was told, "We do not waive interest."
    I finally sent them payment by cheque, for the full amount, but it has obviously taken a while to reach them. I got home late last night to 3 messages from them on my machine, and again today, I had 3 messages. Just after I had checked my messages, the phone rang long distance. I picked it up but there was just silence, so I hung up. The phone rang again about 5 minutes later. This time, someone actually came on before I hung up again, and it was the same BS all over again.
    I told her that this was nothing but harassment, plain and simple.
    I mean, I can understand that they want the rest of their money, but it's only $24. They already got almost $1, 700 from me, and it had already been established that I had based that amount on the total I was given as of that date, and the $24 is just interest. As I said, it's not like I have been a total deadbeat in the 5 years that I have been buying from them and have purchased 4 computers and 5 printers, as well as an external drive and numerous accessories and ink cartridges. I will never deal with Dell Financial again.

• Ze
      3rd of Sep, 2009

I need help really bad!!!

I bought a laptop of the dell website using my mums mates credit card because my mums has a limit. I waited 2 weeks for it to come and started to get worried, so i phoned dell and they said that they hadn't received the payment even though money equal to the cost of the laptop had been taken out of the account under the name dell. Phoned them again and after some very rude conversations i figured they would be useless talking to and im gonna be stuck on this for awhile.

I have a theory that maybe because i ordered it during a deal that the price has increased therefore the money i paid was received but wasn't enough.

my second theory is that the money went to the wrong company as discussed above.

If anyone has any idea as to whats happened or what i should do next please respond???