Dell Computers / do not buy a dell computer unless you want to be ripped off!

I think it is important for anyone who is considering buying a Dell computer to know what they will experience if the computer does not work properly. I bought a XPS laptop computer. It did not work well from the beginning. It would shut down without warning and I would lose whatever I was working on. I began calling Dell Customer Support about 17 days after I received the computer to try and resolve the problem. Over the course of three months, I called 18 times with no luck. I asked them to please send me a computer that worked, to fix the one I had or to refund my money. I was told that they would not refund my money because it had been longer than 21 days since I ordered the computer. I explained that I began calling 17 days after I received the computer. It did not matter. The week that my computer was being built and shipped is included in the refund period. I was told that the warranty did not apply because the problem with my computer was a "software problem". (It was not a software problem, it was a defective motherboard). I reloaded Windows two times, and jumped through numerous tests, etc, and no one was willing to take care of the problem. Dell's Customer Service does not give you their name or extension so you have to restate the problem every time. On two occassions I was told that they would "escalate" the problem to a technician that would personally handle the case. They said that someone would call me and assured me "that the problem would be resolved". No one ever called. It was only after I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau that I received a call. This came after 18 phone calls and approximately 27 hours of my time spent on the phone with Dell Customer Service. After three months, they finally sent me another computer. BUT HERE IS THE WORST PART!!!!!! They sent me a refurshibed computer because they said that my computer was no longer being made!!!!! I told them that I paid full price for a new computer and could have saved several hundred dollars had I bought a refurshibed one. I also explained that when I began calling about the problem with my computer three months prior, the computer was still in production. Dell did not care. They sent me a refurshibed computer that I paid full price for with no upgrades!!!!! The new computer works better than the last one but still has some quirks. Since this has happened to me I have started talking to other people and have found numerous people that have had the same problems. I think people should know how they will be treated by Dell

DO NOT BUY A DELL COMPUTER UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE RIPPED OFF!!!! IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM THEY WILL REFUSE OT FIX IT!!!!!

Te

Comments

• Pi
      20th of Feb, 2008

I am going through the EXACT Same Story you just told right Now!!!

I will NEVER Think about buying anything from dell AGAIN!!!

11th of Mar, 2008

I bought a Dell had it no time before the hard drive messed up they replaced it and I continue to have problems and everytime I called I get someone I could not understand their language. I stay out of work several days trying to get my computer fixed and it finally quit and guess what warranty was out. I took it to a computer shop to get it fixed I was told it would cost me more to fix it than I could buy a new one. I paid double what a computer would cost I got it through a promotion from Bellsouth so I decided I am not paying them another penny which it was like maybe 2 to 4 month left . All together I paid about 1500.00 for it. So now they are trying to sue me and now they say I owe them over another 1000.00 you know what I do not care they can do whatever they need to I am not paying them another dime.They are crooks please please DO NOT BUY A DELL you will be sorry. Even I company would not buy from Dell we have HP and that what I have now.

• Ke
      5th of Jan, 2009

Every word you are reading is true! What can be done? Seriously!

• Ke
      5th of Jan, 2009

If you pay over $3, 000 for a computer that is a lemon - why can't we do something about the money we spent on it - esp. if it is less than a year old (or more for that matter!) How long should this computer last w/o problems?
    Interesting enough - no one knows at Dell knows what a lemon is! (like the lemon law on cars in the US).

Do we call the BBB (Better Business Bureau), hire a attorney, send the computer back - and/or order a new one and send the one that doesn't work back within the time frame???

that actually sounds good ?? what do you think would happen?? Kathy

I would love to hear from you. I do have another complaint about the same computer on this site somewhere. XPS M1730

• Wh
      6th of Jan, 2009

Same thing I am going through right now with my Dell computer. It won't work half of the time, I can't even get on their website with the computer to have them help fix it. This is my second and I should have learned from the first, it was a mistake to buy another. I have had to download the software twice now.

27th of Jan, 2009

Same crap. I was one of the few that have consitent good experience with Dell( a laptop for work and another desktop for at home)...UNTIL TODAY! I had inherited an old 4600i from my mother-in-law after she passed away. Shortly after recieving it the desktop's hard drive crashed. I called dell up and asked for the compatible replacement drive. He told me wich one was compatible and they had in stock. Got and it didn't work. In fact now the cd drives didn't work as well. Tech sent me new restore disks, still didn't work. After a few phone calls and nearly 4 hours on the phone, the tech had gone cover to cover in his "what to do" manual. He said it must be the motherboard too now.

Ok do you have replacement motherboards? No we don't make them for the 4600 anymore. (this process had already taken about 3 weeks. So I buy dell refurbished boards from 3rd party, still same problem, still doesn't work. I finally decide to get a new PC form the company I bought the motherboard from.

I was within 90 days of purchase and thought I'd call to see what dell would do -maybe I could exchange the never working drive for memeory for my existing pc or something. New technician, he checks the drive and says, your problem is that the drive isn't compatible and we don't have compatible drives for your pc anymore-it was too old.

No problem he says, I'll document all this and transfer this to customer service, would you like to buy that memory now?? No I'll wait to talk to customer service.

Over an hour later and having to go to a "manager" for customer service. (right) I'm told you didn't ask for a return within 21 days, so you are not eligble for a return period. Even though the day I discover they sold me an incompatible drive and I bring it to their attention, they so no, I should have asked for a return on the drive when he said my motherbaord was bad too.

I reminded the brainwashed "manager" with "full authority to make this descion, and there is no one above me" that in the current economy and business climate, that he might not want to take this $120 stand for the attention it would recieve. In addition was he really willing to lose a customer that had already purchased 2 pc's and had bought parts for all three because I followed the techs determination that it was the motherboard now and I didn't ask for a refund on the wrong drive sold to me in the 1st place. He simply responded, I have already made my descision.

BYE BYE DELL!!! It only take sone bad experience to lose someone and 250 of their closest friends and business associates. It only cost them $120 too.

• Ka
      28th of Jul, 2010

Agree!
    Never buy a Dell.
    Our desktop is only two years old. The hard drive went and then something with the internet went. So far we have spent $120 and we still do not have a working computer.
    The worse is that we were told that this is completely normal for your computer to have all these problems after only two years.
    We spent two hours on the phone with tech support, paid money to have this person help us and it still does not work. After paying them money to help us, we were told there is nothing more they can do and now we have to pay to have someone come out and look at it.
    Never, never buy Dell!

• St
      12th of Mar, 2011

3 Dells computer in 3 yrs and ruffly 5, 000 $ later "Still NOT WORKINN"

• Vi
      12th of Mar, 2011

hhhh

• Ar
      1st of May, 2012

I had a small problem with installing an update to Stamps.com on my Dell Inspiron 560. I called Dell and spoke with "Christopher" ID 237851 who "recommended" the, $239 service package to fix this. I accepted, under the condition that he actually fix the problem. He assured me he would. Two hours later I had to leave for work and he said it would be fixed when I returned. When I returned a few hours later, I had to go into msconfig to get the PC back into regular mode, among other things. The PC then took forever to start up and the only way to get internet access what to unplug and replug in my connection to the Verizon FIOS router.
    I then spend an hour on the phone with Nupendra (197198) and had to leave and then another hour and fifteen minutes later. All to be told, "the only way to fix your problems is to reinstall windows" and loose all my programs! He accepted no responsibility for the damage to my PC dell has done.

• He
      1st of May, 2012

Dell is not worth the money. I had bought a new laptop and within a month the hard drive failed, within 9 months it went through 7 hard drives. finally they sent me a replacement, which was refurbished. I was ticked, when i had ordered I told them I needed a good system because I made my money online, they swore up one side and down the other that their laptops were the best. They are such liars, once they get your money you are screwed, they have you by the balls and squeeze. I swear no more dell computers for me, no way no how

• Br
      1st of May, 2012

The Dell laptop I bought as a gift has had zip, zero, nada problems. It was a discounted bundle and has outperformed the two pricier laptops that were purchased at the same time.