Dell Canada / dell sent me a computer I did not want and won't give my $6000 back!

1 Cambodia Review updated:

Dell Canada - www.dell.ca

I read the post titled Dell Hell, and I feel like I am walking hand in hand with that customer... I cannot believe so many people are facing the same insanity with unresponsive customer service representatives and COUNTLESS hours logged on the telephone, to only be told REPEATEDLY that there is nothing Dell can do to fix the mess that THEY have created.

I ordered a computer (our sixth Dell) via telephone on August 18, 2007. I subsequently learned (on August 20) that the "BlueRay" disc drive was no longer a desirable option, as Paramount Studios was discontinuing relations with Sony. I called Dell Canada on the morning of August 20, 2007 and informed them I wished to cancel the order. I was given a cancellation number by Dell. Within the hour, I received a phone call from the salesperson whom I had placed the order with (which initially took over an hour as his command of the english language was poor at best). He was very upset and rude, wanting to know why I had cancelled the order. He did not know anything about Paramount Studios or even who they were, as he was calling me from India. I assured him at that point that we were merely waiting for the "dust to settle" and we would likely place another order within a few months. On August 31, a courier showed up at my door with a laptop. I checked the internet, and my credit card had been charged on August 28. I called Dell, and requested a refund. They informed me that they would issue a credit as soon as they had the computer back in their possession, and they would send a courier to collect the computer on September 7. They treated me as though this situation was somehow my fault. The courier arrived with labels that had the wrong description printed on them; I reluctantly agreed to send the computer back regardless of what was printed on the label. I tracked the order through UPS, and as soon as it was received by Dell, I contacted them in regards to my refund/credit. I was informed at that point that the credit would be placed on my MasterCard immediately, and I should have the money back within 3 - 5 days, 10 days at the absolute maximum. Finally on September 17, they said they PROCESSED the credit that day, (or so their system says, I have NO proof) and it could be up to 10 business days from THEN before it would show on my credit card. I have called Dell almost daily from Sept 24 on, informing them that I have not yet received a refund. On October 2 a customer service representative told me he would file a "missing credit report", and that I would MOST CERTAINLY have my credit within 3 - 5 business days, October 10 at the latest. It is now October 11, and I still have not received a credit on my credit card. Dell refuses to rectify this situation; I have repeatedly requested to speak to a manager, to no avail. Customers are not allowed to speak to anyone in management! I was finally put through to a supervisor today after threatening to go to the BBB and my lawyer. I was treated very poorly by this supervisor, and informed that this was NOT Dell's problem, and there is nothing more they can do. This call centre supervisor also informed me that the information I was given on October 2 regarding a missing credit report was incorrect, and the representative I spoke to that day did not know what he was talking about, and never should have told me what he did. As far as Dell is concerned, this is not an issue that they are even willing to follow up on, as their records indicate a credit was issued. This treatment from Dell is absolutely unacceptable. I requested hard copies from Dell of the credit receipt and they refuse to produce them. Twice I was given a phone number to call that was incorrect; it was merely another call centre. I requested a phone number for the administration/accounting department at their head office and have yet to speak to anyone who can give me that information. I have now contacted my credit card co., and they are sending out paperwork (via snailmail) for me to fill out and mail back, to file a dispute over the charge. MasterCard informed me that Dell should have sent me a credit note/invoice long ago with the appropriate information on it. I am tired of fighting to get money back that was NEVER supposed to be charged to my credit card to start with! AND... to top it all off, there is interest accumulating on this balance now, as I am way beyond my grace period, I requested compensation from Dell in regards to all of this trouble and the interest expense, and they informed me that they are not willing to offer any compensation whatsoever, as far as they are concerned the issue is closed.

If this company values a six time customer, then maybe they would like to offer an apology as well as some compensation for the countless hours this has stolen from my job and my family. My husband had his credit card refused in Lima, Peru when he was traveling on business, because I was unaware this $6000.00 charge was on our account. That is embarrassing to say the least.

I have promoted Dell computers to friends and family members for over six years. I have been directly responsible for ordering six computers, as well as helping three family members order computers from Dell. I am genuinely sad that I have been forced to break off relations with this company.

Update (Oct 12/07): I just called a long distance # the Dell Customer Support supervisor gave me (they do not have a 1-800 # for anything related to head office/accounting etc.) IT IS UPS IN ONTARIO... not even a Dell number. UNBELIEVABLE!

Va

Comments

• Ri
      30th of Jan, 2008

I am currently in a similar fued with Dell. I even sent a courier letter to their head office - and no one has bothered to contact me. Every time I call I get India - and the person that was supposed to help me originally is in Ont. They can't transfer calls - and provide NO HELP at all. They owe me a few hundred dollars for a defective item I returned. They tell me that UPS lost the item - or doesn't have any record. I told them I fail to see why this is my problem. Here I am, 42 days later with no refund, and countless calls to Dell, and NOT ONE phone call has been returned with a status update.

30th of Jan, 2008

Call your credit card company immediately and have them duke it out with Dell but you must do so very quickly as there is a window of time in which to dispute.

Hopefully you have a receipt from UPS -that will help your case.
    I am in the US and complained to my state attorney general, Andrew Cuomo who recently filed suit against Dell on behalf of NY customers.

I am not sure how it works in Canada but if your province has the equivilant of a US state attorney general, I would call that person immediately.

Good luck from Dell Hell in NYC.

• Su
      19th of Jun, 2008

I had nine ink cartige that wouldnt work on my printer, they told me i needed a new one and i said i want one that i can use the ink i had.So she send me dell 969, well the ink doesnt work on it.So i called them and they said sorry but they wont take the ink back.Next i said then im returning printer i got the run around for three weeks and of course my thiry days is over and say they cant take it back.Im so mad and none of them speak proper english.Im very disgusted in them.

4th of Jul, 2008

I am having the same problem. Every time I call Dell I get India, its driving me nuts, I can’t seem to get anyone to help me. They are the worst people to speak to. I have been trying to deal with them since February 2008 to get my money back on some items that I sent back. Now they are saying that they don’t have the shipment and they can’t see the return and that the return was set up as an exchange, so they sent me stuff, which they didn’t. This is crazy. Where is Michael Dell is my question? And why can't you get in touch with someone from the head office in Canada? Is he running scared and hiding under a desk? Drinking or snorting all the money that people are giving him for their frustration and not running his company?

I need to know how to get this problem solved and get my money back. I find it very weird that they have so many complaints and no one that rectifies them. This makes me wonder who’s running this business. They are supposed to be trying to become leaders in the industry and instead have systems that are far outdated and not accessible to their representatives or their customers. They are weak competition if you ask me and need to take a lesson or two in running a company. This has got to be one of the worst cases of Customer Service that I have ever seen or had to deal with.

Is there anything else that can be done in order to solve this problem, rather than writing it here? Has anyone figured out anything or spoken to anyone that has helped them?. It would be really helpful. Thanks

• Ob
      4th of Nov, 2008

I would like to file my experience with Dell Canada.

I have been using dell computers since 2001 and never had any issues. The technical support was great until I bought a Dell Inspiron 640M from Dell in 2007 with complete care warrantee. Within a few months, the wireless adapter started to have problems. Dell technical support was contacted. They tried to re-install the driver and fix the problems for weeks and finally told me that I must send the laptop to the depot.

My warrantee include a technician visit to my home for repair. Dell refused to honor the warrantee and insisted that I must send the laptop to the depot. They claimed that an empty box has been sent to my house through purolator which was never delivered. Finally dell agreed to send a technician to my house as per the warrantee. Since than dell technician has visited to my house three times for various hardware issues.

Yesterday, the frame for the LCD monitor separated and you can practically move the LCD out of the frame. Dell technical service was contacted. Initially they refused to entertain the complaint and atlast advised me to send the pictures of the LCD screen. At this point I explained to them that this laptop had so many hardware problems since I purchased it and is now falling apart. It is about time, dell must replace the laptop. I was told that dell will make a decision whether the laptop qualifies to be repaired under warrantee.

The next day I received a phone call indicating that the screen is probably damaged intentionally and is not covered. Later a discussion was held with a very rude Support Manager who advised me to hang up since dell cannot extend any assistance. I asked him the contact information for Dell corporate office. The response was that Dell has instructed the call centre to handle all compliants at their level and as a policy Dell Corporate office is not interested to contact the customers.

Now I am stuck with a dell laptop and a company that is not willing to honor its warrantee.

• Nl
      20th of Nov, 2008

I've placed in an order for a Dell laptop at the beginning of september, and over two months later---no computer yet. Everytime I phone, I get, as usual some paki or indian that offers no help at all.I've even threathened to cancel the order. It seems that by rerouting our calls to some third world country, they're not only saving themselves money, but the hassle of dealing with who feeds them: the customer!
    Looks like I'll be shopping for another brand real soon.

• Pu
      29th of Dec, 2008

Four years ago I ordered an XPS from Dell Canada and was happy as a bear in a honey farm. The system ran great, the customer service was fantastic and the technical support was very knowledgeable.

Last October of 2008 I ordered another high-end laptop from Dell and received something less than what I paid for. I called Dell and they said they would send the proper system and to hold on to the one I had till the new computer had arrived. After a couple of weeks the order status did not change so I contacted Dell and was told that the model I ordered was no longer available. They offered me an alternative system and I reluctantly accepted. After several weeks of calling and checking online at what the status of the order was (almost all of the month of November) I was told that it would arrive on or before December 2nd, 2008.

On December 1st I called and was told that they had canceled the order. They also had the nerve to tell me that I had violated the thirty day return policy and could not return the computer that I did not order! Nevertheless, I kept records and recorded my phone calls with the very poor English speaking customer service people (who get very upset when WE don't understand them) and they withdrew their threat.

At this point I insisted on returning the laptop computer that I DID NOT order and insisted also on getting my money back. On Boxing Day morning I was awakened at a very early hour and asked if I had received my package yet!? Apparently they sent something to the courier terminal with my name on it...

FOOL ME ONCE, SHAME ON YOU, FOOL ME TWICE, SHAME ON ME! I said that I wanted my money back and never again will I deal with Dell. Dell has a 15 to 20 day refund policy and it has been 25 days since they received the computer I returned to them (the one that I did not order). Every time I call customer service and give them the reference number I am told that they will put me through to the proper department and nobody answers. I figure that twenty minutes is plenty patience (!?)

In addition to being treated poorly I am paying interest for nothing and my cell phone bill is much more than nominal because of all the minutes I am put on hold. Many times I am put on hold because the representative is asking someone else what to say or what to do since they are unable to answer the query or take action! Why didn't he or she just hand over the phone?

Dell made a bad decision moving the customer service to India. Customer service isn't even a word in that country and if it is then it doesn't have any value. It seems like everyone for them selves or something. Bad business decision. I am still content with my present Dell but I won't buy another. And yesterday I was told that I will be responsible for furnishing and equipping, of all things, a cybercafe! Dell and its subsidiaries, (Alienware) are not on the list.

• Le
      19th of May, 2009

CANCEL A DELL ORDER. I HOPE THIS WORKS. I ordered a Dell laptop this Friday and and tried to cancel Monday morning (Saturday they're not open). I was told that it was already in production and it couldn't be canceled. Once they ship it out, accept it, and they will send the appropriate packing labels to ship it back. Here is the loophole that may help ALL of us with this no cancellation policy. Call your credit card company (VISA, MC, AMEX, etc.). They told me NOT to accept it but get the tracking number from Purolator. Keep it handy because it'll show that it has been shipped back to Dell. Then they CANNOT charge you for the computer and it will NOT show up on your credit card statement. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

• Bi
      27th of Jul, 2009

waste idiots working there specially the team leader Behzaad habibi

• Bi
      27th of Jul, 2009

unprofessional idots

• G1
      21st of Nov, 2009

I completelly agree with all of you guys. I spent with DELL countless hours - technical support - customer service - technical support, and on and on... They have 1800 number and you talking to deaf.
    Our computers ( at Business) all from DELL. We cannot afford to go through stupid troubleshotting, when we have to work. But... DELL regulations are insisting on trouobleshotting, which is waste of time. Their troubleshotters - kids who are sitting in India or somewhere else and reading an instruction.
    Their service is complete crap. After beeing with DELL for 7 years, we are changing computers, and will never deal with DELL again.

• St
      3rd of Dec, 2009

Yeah, I totally agree to what all of you have been saying regarding Dell Canada's poor customer service and technical support. I solidly recommend that everyone avoid this company like the plague and take their business elsewhere!

I placed my order over a month ago and it still hasn't arrived. They never responded at all to two separate emails that I sent. And when I phoned last week, they couldn't tell me at all when the item was actually going to ship. This company has no idea at all how to properly treat customers, and they have gone steadily downhill over the past year. Well, the good news is that today I finally cancelled my order. Never again Dell, never again. You have lost my business for good.

• De
      10th of Oct, 2010

I tried to place an order with employee shaik khalilulla (emp #4161397) he was rude and pushy. I planned on "building a $1700. Within minutes he had a big lcd screen tv on my tab which I had to fight with him to take off the bill. Finally he wanted my banking or credit card number. I told him I was going to talk the final price and "computer build" with my family to be sure it had all we needed. He rudely laughed at me and argued as to why i wanted to discuss the final outcome with mt family. I argued continually and finally hung up. I called back thinking I just got the bad apple comission based employee. I got another east indian and politely said I speak english and would like to talk to an english speaking person, he could not transfer me to one so told me he would speak slowly. The second sales man was very polite and helpful so i placed my order and awaited a call from another person to get my personal information and confirm the order. Every time this person called we got disconected. After 4 hours of playing phone tag, i called Dell to try and confirm the otder, they had no record whatsoever that anyone had spoke with me. I tols him the situation and that I was going to try and place the order myself online. He said that was fine just to cancel the order next time they called. So I did. the rude indian Shaik khalilulla called back wanting personal information again, I told him cancel the order I am doing my own online, he argued that he could give me a better deal than online, I repeatedly told him to cancel the order and finally hung up on him. Afew minutes later he sent me an e mail confirming that he placed the order! I have since sent complaints to Dell and first thing monday morning I will be to my bank to ensure no payments can come out, I will be calling dell again until I am satisfied my order is canceled, and if there are any promlems i will immediately be contacting the better buisness bureau of canada, they are listed in the blue pages at the front of each and every phone book.

• Co
      14th of Jun, 2012

My husband and I are kind of in the same situation. The service is really rude. All sale rep are Indian, whom I have difficulty to understand what they said. My husband placed an order for a TV and a cable. His billing address appears on this credit card is his parent's residence. The shipping address is to our residence. They tried to call my husband to verify this, but unfortunately his cell phone was out of battery that day. They automatically canceled our order, but already charged our credit card. However, the cable arrived in front of my door, and on their website, both items were written as shipped. We called and verified. We were told the order was re-stated. On their website, it showed 2 times: the previous and now, without indicating any cancellation. Plus we got charged 2 times on our credit card. When we called, they say credit will be automatically adjusted in 5 business days. The very next day, someone else called again and said that we still have to verify our identification in order re-state the order. We said we already did the verification over the phone and we already received order confirmation. The sale rep still insisted that the order was cancelled and returned to the warehouse. Clearly, they don't know what they are doing. The next day they delivery the cable and the TV in front of my door in 2 different time. Clearly it's their fault for sending us twice the cable.
    Today, they called us again saying very rude that if we don't return the cable, they won't refund us the credit. This is so outraging. They don't have right to do that. We may accept to pay for 2 cables rather than going through hassle of returning, but at least they have to refund our TV cost, what we got charged twice. Without a proper communication, they indicated right away if we don't return the cable, they won't refund us the credit. Hey the cable cost 20$ while the TV costs us more than 1000$. I'll return the cable today, and wait for extra 5 business day. If Dell is still not processing my credit. I'll report them to BBB or a lawyer note.
    Anyway, at the bottom line, I won't return to this website again.

• Im
      28th of Jun, 2014

FORGET about the BBB - go to your state's ATTORNEY GENERAL'S DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS (each state's is called something a little different) and file a complaint. Several states have filed successful suits against Dell and got rewards from the Court in the millions of dollars.

• Cj
      12th of Jan, 2017

Thanks guys for your reports. I *was* in the market for a new Dell Inspiron - but life is too snort for dealing with i####s when things go wrong. I shall take my business elsewhere.

• Cj
      12th of Jan, 2017

@CJB999 'snort' = 'short'!!!