Delia's / Manager Refuses to Sell

1 8687 North Central Expressway - Suite 2104 Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: (214) 363-9359

The day after Christmas I was with my family at Northpark Mall in Dallas. The store window was full of 75% off signs. I saw a sweater in the store on a mannequin. When I went in to look at it, it was also on clearance for I believe either 60 or 75% off. The only sizes left on the shelf were extra small or extra large. The one on the mannequin was a medium and one of the sizes I needed. I asked if I could have the sweater off the mannequin.

Having worked in retail I know that mannequins are not usually dressed in clearance clothing and I thought the sweater would be coming off soon anyway. I was told that "corporate policy" restricted employees from selling clothes off the displays. I asked to speak to a manager, thinking that he/she would see the folly of refusing to sell an item when a consumer was ready to purchase. The manager, JP(?), repeated that it was store policy not to take clothes off the displays. When I asked him why he wouldn't want to sell clothes when given an opportunity, he told me that all the clothes on the displays were already sold. I asked for the phone number to the corporate office and he told me they would be closed. I stated that I would call them on Monday and he gave me a number that was answered by a Home Healthcare Agency.

I had never been in the store before, but having several young women in my family I could easily have become a regular shopper. Now, however, I will not purchase anything from dELIA's and I will encourage my friends and family (one of whom, I just discovered spends almost $3, 000 there annually) to avoid them as well.

Me

Comments

• Ri
      22nd of Dec, 2009

Everything that those store employees was correct. I have worked at Delia's for over a year. That is the policy EXACTLY and you are just the kind of customer that we do not appreciate. Some things are just out of our control. You should be bigger than that and realize that we cannot just do whatever you want, especially if that means us breaking policy. If you would have worked in RETAIL AT DELIAS you would have known. Maybe not having clearance items on your mannequins was how it was done, but not at Delia's. Shut up and stop complaining because this is just you not getting your way, not something that is actually legitimate.

• Rh
      27th of Dec, 2009

Next time you go into a store and they don't have what you want, ask if they can either order it in, or if another store around could send it over for you. Most stores will do that. Or just buy it online. Remember that the employee's are doing their jobs, so respect them.

• Ni
      2nd of Nov, 2010

I think that the comment from "Rightingthewrong" is apropos the complaint lodged by "MeJo". Was the hostility and belligerence really necessary? Wouldn't it have been just as effective to state that as a Delia's employee you happen to know that the company policy does in fact prevent you from removing clothes from a mannequin?

I do not support the ideal that "the customer is always right" however I do believe that people should be shown so propriety and a modicum of courtesy. The question was a legitimate one. If you are in fact a retail store why not sell something when given the opportunity? The answer may be something as banal as to ensure uniformity of display windows at Delia's shops but to assert that the customer was somehow disrespectful for questioning a store policy is completely ludicrous.

Delia's will not be getting my business moving forward either as I ordered from them online and requested express shipping. When one item was backordered (and therefore would not have been delivered with the other item) I requested a partial refund of my delivery fee because the merchandise total had changed therefore lowering the cost of the delivery. It took 3 calls 2 hours and 4 CSRs and a manager to finally honor the terms they have outlined on the website. Ridiculous.

• Mi
      4th of Dec, 2011

I had to laugh ... your friend spends $3, 000 a year at Delia's ... but you will tell them your sad story of not being able to buy a sweater off a mannequin, and they will stop shopping there. Really? Obviously your friend likes shopping there, and has never tried to strip a mannequin before. Have some respect for the mannequins! Don't you think they are uncomfortable being stripped naked and having to stand in a store window for all to see???? If you told this story to your friend, they probably think you are a nut. and will go on shopping wherever they like to. On the other hand, I don't believe you have a friend. Period.