Defender Direct / Misleading Information

1 305 N Market StShreveport, LA, United States Review updated:

OK... This company misleads potential employees and customers. The website claims that employees would receive a base pay and then work for commission. During my interview the "area manager" told me there is no base pay and would only work for commission, only two hundred and fifty dollars for a weeks worth of out of state training and have to do ride a longs for three weeks and only be compensated twenty five dollars a job!!! You have to use your own car and insurance. He did say you will get thirty five cents a mile for compensations. The manager told me that I would not receive any pay for a month to a month and a half. Now for the really fun part... When people order a security system (ADT) or Dish network, the customer pays a install charge... then the technician is told to get into the house and install the key pad then tell the customer what "package" was ordered, usually bare minimum components, now with no other choice (payed install fee and hole in wall) the customer has to buy more to make it worth the install, and the technician gets paid only if the customer falls for it. I would not work or give any money to this company for services.

Jm

Comments

De
  7th of Jul, 2009

Sounds like you did not listen well. This company is fantastic and treats people with respect. I will not go into any detail about pay scales of employees, but they are honest and trustworthy. Sounds like most of the complaints are from former employees who are upset they do not work for the company no more. If Defender was so awful, how come they have so many satisfied customers? It is so silly to bash someone with no backup information that is correct. It's sounds like a boyfriend-girlfriend breakup where someone can not let things go as they should.

De
  29th of Oct, 2009

I am a current employee and it sucks to work for this company but the pay is decent for these hard times.

Ju
  19th of Mar, 2010

the equipment that is being sold by Defender Direct can be purchased at a fraction of the cost from many vendors. I mean a fraction 219 dollars for a motion sensor that can be purchased for less than sixty dollars from anyone else. Don't forget that you are never told about additional package costs until the hole is in your wall. This was company policy as long as I worked there. You are corect the money isnt bad but looking at myself in the morning got difficult knowing that I was ripping off people who flat out didnt have the money. If you do not plan on spending 400 additional dollars, at least, dont deal with them. As this is the absolute minnimum upsell average that an install tech can maintain without being on some kind of performance plan leading to his dismissal.

Ha
  31st of Mar, 2010

I've worked at Defender for over 5 years and love it. I feel bad for some of these folks that have had bad experiences, but remember this is a Complain Board - soyou only see upset people. Defender has thousands of employees and like millions of customers... there are going to be some people that aren't happy. In a bad economy Defender has given a bunch of people a chance to makea livin and I've seen them give back to charity as well. They built over 25 homes for the poor in Mexico last year and gave millions to charity too. I don't want to disregard anyone's bad experience, but want to let everyone know that most of the people I talk to around work are very happy and thankful to work at Defender.

Ro
  9th of Aug, 2010

This company sucks! They lied and told me as a new customer i would receive a $100 visa card to use for signing up...what they FAIL TO mention is that you MUST send ina copy of your contract with a $4.95 shipping and handling fee for your card. Well i did all the things they asked me to do and STILL to this day have receieved NOTHING! they lie to get you a sa customer then renig on what they promise! I hate ADT and will never do business with them again!!! EVER!!! I ADVISE YOU TO FIND SOMEONE LOCAL WHO WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU AND YOUR PROBLEMS!!!

Rob Jenkins
318.762.8590

Da
  1st of Dec, 2010

Worst company and public relations I have ever seen. It's so bad that I was in awe that people are allowed to have a business like this. The police or government should really be involved honestly.

On
  1st of Jan, 2011

It truely blows my mind that company like Defender that goes out every day and services customers to Protect their families from society and the different crimes that happen if this was a perfect world we wouldnt need police or prisons and judges and laws but lets get real CRIME HAPPENS I have been with Defender for 3 years and they are ever changing to do the right things for their employees and most importantly their customers they have a process in place called the Personalized Protection Plan which clearly states at the bottom (and no not in small print) That I accept or reject the recommendations from my security advisor that means they have a god given choice to protect their family according to what we recommend or not .You know its pretty amazing that if someone decides to go with the advise from a trained expert and protect their family with what was recommended and it turns out to save their life or their childs life then it was worth the money they were charged .And now you would put comments like Defender is a great company.And on the other hand if they reject our recommendations and something was to happen to their family now we would be called a terrible company and people would say they never told me I should have that (be real thats what would happen) And as far as the cost of the equipment profit is not a dirty word and its ok to go out and by a flat screen tv or a Lexus or a number of other things and pay the mark up for that without any problem and none of that could maybe save your families life I quess Im very upset to see comments from people in sales and other fields that didnt make it at Defender because they didnt really understand its not about upsells it about educating and caring about people enough to let them know what really hapeens in the real world ( crime) Oh and another thing I didnt see any body mention on how much defender donates to charities and how involved in missionary trips they are. Oh thats right most of the bad comments came from people that didnt make it at defender because to them it is all about the money and the lack of caring about people for those I will prey for that you never need a security system and for those with positive feed back always understand you can replace a tv but you cant replace people You may think that your system is not good because it never went off but did you ever think its doing its job every day and you dont even know it who is to say that at 330 in the morning someone didnt look in your window and see the sticker and that shock sensor sitting on the window and thought twice about breaking in to you house you or I cant answer that can we.

Co
  9th of Jan, 2011

One who cares for Defender---- How is the wine, , , u quote all the traning videos and the cow tow, , , be there for a year or two and see home much YOU are cared for, , , , that would be, , , 0000000, , get back to me when ur upsell average is below 200.00, , , , when u get every [censor] job, , , and u cant pull out of talking people into that simon 3 upsell, , , , , , , , , , , Does Defender know that there is a thing called a simon XT???

Fi
  11th of Jan, 2011

I'm considering employment with Defender Direct so trust and believe what I'm about to tell all of you who chose to listen and care to read! I've spent all of my adult life protecting people lives with the best and least fire/security equipment out there. With 18 years almost 2 decades of service I have found that Negativity of former/present employees is a behavior trait that EVERY KNOW COMPANY OUT THERE HAS! Fact I've worked for both Tyco companies ADT and Simplex/Grinnell and it don't get any better than that, but out there in both the commercial/residential world in some locations their name is MUD! Even being sued for lose of Lives/Property! All of which has been well publicized. So my point is clear life happens and laws protect it all, so find a company do your very best, learn Everything about the business and you will find there basically operate the same with one with more incentives than the other...so do your research before bad mouthing a company because they all are Great and in there own special ways so pick and chose or get out of MY Industry which I Love and respect so much because its all about the people we serve and not those who doing the servicing. This is Your slice of HUMBLE pie eat it well cause we all have to rather being called out or self induced in every industry!

Co
  16th of Jan, 2011

You dont give a flying [censor] about people, , , you install Simon 3, , which have been discontinued 3 years ago, , I was told by management the Simon XT was a piece of [censor], , , I pushed for Simon XT's and cameras, we started to install Napco Cameras for 2 months, , , right down the shitter, , , , Defender gave up, , Right John Lawson????????? I recommended SimonXT with GS 3060--- told me its a piece of [censor], , guess what, , i was let go, , , fell into something called Alarm.com with Simon XT... You look it up... Look up FrontpointSecurity.com... and compare that with defender, with Frontpoint you can control your alarm system fro your cell phone, , , for 35.00, , , with ADT protect your home its between 44.99 and 57.99... If u have a cell phone, , u can control, , ,

He
  11th of Jun, 2011

Defender suck use them befor they use you take the 5 day vacation to Indi let's them put you up for five days let them pay for your meals every day then when get about two or three paycheck quit because they will fire you while your in training if your not doing so well I miked this company and they desevered every bit of it if your in sales and your % gets below 20 get that last check and bail.

At
  14th of Aug, 2012

The people saying that those who have issues are just cry babies thatcould not do that job. Well I could do it, and was good at it. So please tell me how this is okay...
My days changed last minute, as I was leaving, being told I had to come back in the next day, when I was off, and had plans.
Marcia, the CEO, has a neice that is a manager, Hulm giving his kid a summer job, a VP that made two of his daughters managers, Marcia's ex husband was given a job where he just yells at poeple all day, a manager in one office his wife is a manager in another office. Hulm hiring his brother in law in, and pushing him to a higher level that those starting with him, then giving him perferd calls over everyone else. Seeing a trend?
How about the person who was called at 10PM and told they were being transfered, and had to be 100 miles away for training by 8am the next day?
The managers getting in trouble for routing the calls to their friends, and leaving other people hung out to dry.
Making people pray before meetings.
Changing someone's hours at 8pm the night before.
Managers who had to have three different girls report them for sexaul harrasment before anything was done (they moved his desk)
Forcing people to go to church.
Dragging girls into the office, and then sending them out in tears.

Le
  24th of Aug, 2016

I agree that this is a complaint board, but if Defender is really doing a great job then there will be no complaints. I, too, experienced false advertisement and manipulation by this company. In fact, I am looking for a lawyer now who can file a class action lawsuit against this company. I have a copy of the flyer that I responded to and did not get what was in that flyer. The company charged my credit card without any invoices or my knowledge. Now, they are charging me for county permission which I don't need. I am in the military and used to have ADT already. When I responded to the flyer I thought I was calling ADT to just reactivate my account and then I was told that a new equipment (free) will be installed for $104.00 and I will get $27.99/monthly service charged. But I ended up getting charged a total of $471.49 and a monthly charged of $56.17 because I was told that I needed a landline? This was not even in the flyer and I already had ADT before connected to a landline? So, I had Verizon checked and was told that I do have a landline connected to the alarm already. My house is only 5 years old and pre-wired but Defender put a hole on my wall with a wire running through the garage, not so professional. Anyway, I could go on and on but reading all the comments here and also at another site, consumer's affairs, I think that someone do need to start a class action lawsuit against this company. I believe that if fully investigated it will reveal that they have been conning and manipulating consumers...