Debt Collector / harasement

1 MA, United States Review updated:

They keep calling me about a debt in someone else's name. I pick up the voice mail every day. Finally, as per their message, I call to tell them that I am not the person they are looking for and to take my phone number(at my business) off their list. They say it is not in the system so it must be a secondary number and I have to do a bunch of stuff to get my number off their list! This is harassment, pure and simple. Why should I have to do a bunch of work to prevent the calls from coming in.

Ji

Comments

• 0 Votes

Keep careful records. Keep all voice mails. Record the calls if legal in your state. Send complaints to your state AG and the AG of the state they operate from. File a complaint with the FTC.

Get a good lawyer. (consumerjustice.com). Sue the debt collector. Once you have sued them, whether you win or not, you will be place on a list maintained by webrecon.com of people who have brought lawsuits against debt collectors. Most of the big debt collectors screen calls against this list and it will help stop future calls to you from collectors trying to collect on someone else's debt.

In your case the debt collector is trying to collect from the wrong person. You have told them it isn't you and have asked them to stop calling. They are violating the FDCPA and many other laws.

There is also the possibiltiy that this an attempt at criminal extortion if they are demanding paying from you through the use of threats. You may be able to swear out criminal charges against the debt collector and company officers.

Go for it.