Debt Collections / Telephone Harassment

1 San Antonio, TX, United States Review updated:

TAM called me back in 2004 at work referencing an alleged debt from 1996. They said I owed $438 from an apartment complex I left. I figured they were trying to stick me for some kind of damages, but they returned my deposit, minus $15 because I used the toilet while I was waiting for a walk-thru. I asked TAM why after 8 years I am being contacted and they said they have not been able to find me. Hmmmm I have always had a published number... I asked them to send me documentation of what and why I owe and I will look it over. They said they didn't have to show proof of anything and that I owed the money and if I didn't pay them they would drag me into court and I would have to pay their attorny's fees... After being constantly harassed by phone at work, I read up on the debt collector's act and wrote them a letter, sent it registered mail asking them to produce the proof of debt and to cease calling me. It took about a month AFTER they signed for the letter to stop harassing me. Now we are in 2009, nearly five years later. Like a bad case of herpes, it cropped back up. They have once again began their telephone harassment, calling me many times a day, ignoring the previous letter I sent them and violating the debt collection act even more. I did file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commissionand am in the process of once again sending them another registered letter to cease and permanently stop the harassment. WOW after nearly 13 years and they still harass me for something I dispute owing and they keep getting away with this.

Comments

26th of Feb, 2008
    Debt Collections - Asking my child Questions!!!!
    Premier Recovery Incorporated
    Alexandria
    Virginia

These people have been calling for my husband everyday all day. I mean they call about 10-15 times a day. Everytime they call and ask for him I tell them he is not home because really he isn't, he doesn't get home until well after 9pm. I ask them do they want to leave a message and they insist on not doing so, so I looked up the phone number, since then I know why they don't want to leave any message because they are a collection agency. But what really p*ssed me off today, my 8 year old son was told by me to answer the home phone, because I was on my cell phone when it started ringing, it was them. My son politely told them that he wasn't home, they started asking him does he know when he will be back and when does he usually get home...all the while my son is continuously saying he is not home, please call back. So I took the phone from my son, and in my rage I hung up on the guy. The guy had the gall to call back(this time I answered) and say "Uhmm, I was talking to someone and you hung on me." I said to him first of all you don't have any business asking my child any da*n questions, if you want to know something ask to speak to an adult and he tells me that I shouldn't let kids answer the phone, and I told him that my child has more common sense than your stupid a@@ could ever, then the guy who is a "real professional", started yelling at me over the phone, so I let his A@@ have it and then hung up on him again....I wonder if he'll call back! It's been 20 minutes now and my phone hasn't rang...man I wish I could sue them! And the funny thing is we don't have any past or current debt!

• 0 Votes

Go to BuddHibbs.com and research your options there. It is a great web site and very helpful to consumers being threatened and harrased by debt collectors. He may have a report on that collections outfit on his site. It was and still is a great help and education to me. I wish you luck!
    Never ever give debt collectors any information over the phone.

• Sh
      19th of Mar, 2008

I see. Im a debt collector but for in house collections, i am not working for an agency. Regarding the man who called you that time, maybe he just want to ask what time is the best time to call for your husband. But regarding the yelling thing that he did, thats what you can call harassment and you can file for that.

30th of May, 2009
    Debt Collections - I'm billed for an account I never had
    ER Solutions
    PO Box 9004
    Renton, WA
    Michigan
    erspay.com

I have been billed for a cell phone account I never knew I had.
    here is no paperwork to substantiate this cleam.