Dealtree Inc. / Bad service

Note: This is a review regarding the Dealtree managed Best Buy Trade-In program.

I wish I had stumbled across this site prior to utilizing the Best Buy Trade-In program. As another reviewer wrote, "I should have known this was a too good to be true program".

I purchased a new HP laptop from Best Buy on Thanksgiving Day. Found the Trade-In program and decided to send in my wife's 2-year old Lenovo laptop. Based upon the trade-in calculator, I was to receive a $152.00 Best Buy gift card. After using DBAN to wipe the hard drive, (a process that took 10 solid hours to complete), I packaged the unit, printed the pre-paid shipping label, and sent the laptop to them. So far, so good.

Now the problem begins. A day after Dealtree receives the laptop they claim the unit has $0 trade-in value because it is not working. They state the unit is "intermittently powering off". Impossible given that I had just run a 10+ hour disk drive wipe on the system without any power problems.

I called Dealtree and asked to speak to a manager. Instead, I was routed to a voice message system. Left a message, suprise, no return call.

I e-mail them and request that they ship my laptop, (note that this is still my property), back to me. They indicate it will cost me $27.00 to have the unit returned to me. Classic "bait-and-switch". Now they are holding my property hostage and refusing to send it to me until I pay their ridiculous shipping costs (sounds like extortion to me). What is more interesting is that one of the replies I received via e-mail from Dealtree customer service implied that "they don't have to return the unit to me since it is now their property". Umm... no, read section 8 of the Best Buy Trade-In Terms & Conditions... it clearly states that the device does not become the property of Dealtree/Best Buy until we reach agreement on a trade-in value. I clearly disagree with $0.00.

Despite multiple attempts to speak with a supervisor, nobody ever calls me back and I am never allowed to speak with a supervisor. I paraphrased the latest reply I received from Dealtree below:

Dealtree Customer Service: "I have spoken to the Trade In Manager and she informed me that you were emailed previously in response to an email you sent them. Here it is again. Please do not call us again regarding this unless you are calling to make a payment."

Those are their exact words as contained in an e-mail I received. Note that I received this e-mail immediately after speaking with this Dealtree customer service person requesting to speak with a supervisor. After I gave this gentleman my contact information for the 4th time, I proceeded to ask when I should expect a return call. I was met with a "click" and then a dialtone.

I hope others stumble across this site and this review before attempting to do business with Dealtree. Based upon all the other reviews here, it would appear that my experience is anything but an isolated case. Very disappointing.

Lastly, they do business on eBay, (selling the items others are trading in), as dealtree-auctions and 2ndturn. I wonder how many of their items are devices like mine, where they essentially held the unit hostage.

Seller (and buyer) beware. Recognize that once you send your hardware to them, you lose all leverage. There is nothing to prevent them from "finding any defect they so choose", refusing to give you the value they quoted, and then forcing you to pay to get your hardware returned to you.

Don't make the same mistake I did. I'm still fighting to get my laptop back.

Je

Comments

• Gl
      7th of Jan, 2009

Don't make the same mistake I did. I'm still fighting to get my laptop back.

• Da
      23rd of Jan, 2009

Thanks so much. About to send in my old Kodak for $52.00 but after seeing this I won't bother. Appreciate your taking the time to post info on dealing with Dealtree
    Dana

• Go
      3rd of Jun, 2009

I had almost the exact same experience when trading in my Toshiba Tecra M2 laptop through the Toshiba Trade-in Program. Toshiba has been notified but has taken no action to date. They claim they only referred me and cannot take responsibility.

• Aj
      14th of Jan, 2010

The exact same thing is happening to me right now with a practically new Nintendo Wii I sent in for the Best Buy Trade In Program. This thing worked perfectly when packaged (and packaged good it was) and I got the email stating a Trade In Value of $0 because the unit was not working. After I called and complained they said that they would test it again but of course had the same results. Now they want $27 to return the item to me. I live only 20 miles from their distrubution warehouse where the item was shipped to. So, now they are either going to keep my Nintendo and re-sale it or make money off the shipping. This is the Biggest Rip Off ever and I plan to contact Management at Best Buy about this SCAM. DO NOT USE DEALTREE!!!

• Bo
      11th of Aug, 2010

I had the exact same problem, except it was on a desktop tower I sent in. They said the power button was broken despite the fact I had just turned it on the day I shipped it to get some files off it before I sent it! i am still fighting dealtree as well.

1st of Sep, 2010

Stop me if you've heard this before... I sent my old Toshiba HD DVD player to Dealtree/BestBuy after the site indicated I'd get a best buy gift card in return. The day before I sent it I was watching a DVD on it just fine. So I get the email from them that the disc tray door is broken and does not open. Surprising, considering I wrapped the unit in bubble wrap and packaged the unit in a a laptop shipper w/ the Styrofoam top and bottom - and used the shipping label THEY provided.

So I get it, they don't want to pay me money. Fine then. Lesson learned, just send me back my HD DVD player and we'll part ways. No chance. They now want to charge me shipping to get the unit back - shipping that costs more than the quoted trade in value. Shipping both to and from - even though they offered prepay up front.

If they just send me back the unit then no harm done, I'd just walk away. They've stolen my HD DVD player so now I have to post this message everywhere and tell everyone just because the guy that opened my box decided he wanted to take home an HD DVD player.

Next time stick to Craigslist and local selling. Avoid Dealtree and any of their scams under different names. So I'm out an HD DVD player, but karma will catch up with Dealtree soon enough.