DCS -- Collection Agency / Rude & Disturbing Phone Call

1 GA, US Review updated:
Phone: 209-858-3742

I had just arrived home. Shortly afterwards, I had a phone call to which I answered from a Nebraska #: [protected]. I knew immediately that this was a collection agency as I have been receiving serveral calls such as this over the past month. I answered "Who is this?". The person on the other end responded "This is SERENA BAYLOR." She wanted to know if I knew my next door neighbor the Williams. I responded harshly by telling her I live in an apartment and I keep to myself. Then I proceeded upset and asked her harshly why she called my phone # for someone else to which she replied she was trying to reach a Kevin Williams, then apologized, and hung up in my face. I called the # right back initiately to ask for her supervisor after I asked questions about her company DCS like who they were to which she replied she only wanted to know if I knew my neighbors. I repeated that she should not have called my # to which she replied I should not have answered the my phone if I did not want to take the call. She hung up a 2nd time. At that point I was furious. I called back time and time again to speak with her supervisor to which she continued to hang up the phone in my face. Finally she answered, said I did not need to speak to her supervisor, and told me not harrass her any more with my calls because she only called once. ONE TIME WAS ONE TO MANY! I left her 3 messages bc she finally turned her phone off to direct all calls to her voice mail. First I told her that she should never call ANYONE to ask for someone else and then get mad that person once they are upset for her company calling in the 1st place. The 3rd message explained why I felt and acted the way I did because I do not owe any of these creditors who call for other people and they have the nerve to call day after day and on top of that early in the mornings waking me up when I need to be sleep. After this ordeal, I think she--if not all her co-workers (I can only hope)--will think twice about calling a neighbor of someone that owes her company.

Comments

• 1m
      Aug 12, 2009

These collections agencies are using any tactic they come up with to harass people. They do google searches for names, addresses, and phone #'s of any one related to people they are trying to contact. How do I know? I googled my name, and my full name, physical address, and home phone # popped up on the screen. So I suggest everyone who gets a new phone # to pay the extra fee for a private # b/c it may prove to be worth it. These creditors call 7 days a week. They do not just call one time but continuously. Frankly, even if I knew my neighbors, I am not the one to pass ANY info.

• Me
      Aug 12, 2009

I don't really get your situation here? So a lady called asking you if you knew one of your neighbors? Alright that would be a little strange. Okay, so why would a collection agency bother doing this? I don't get it? If this was a collection agency then why would she not have allowed you to talk to her supervisor? If this was a collection agency then why would she had turned her phone off (obviously a cell phone) and direct her calls to her voicemail? What collection agency uses their cell phone for work? Please explain?! This doesn't sound like a person that works with a collection agency. If in fact you don't owe any money to any collection agency then why bother calling the number back? Sorry I'm just confused at this one!

Aug 20, 2009

This is actually a standard practice in all collection companies. I used to work for one of the major collection companies. The reason to call neighbors is actually to cause anger in the person they are trying to contact and get them to call in. Think about it you have neighbors you dont even know come and give you a message from this company, you call in to yell basically, but now they got you to call them and know that if they leave messages with neighbors you will call back. there is a whole team in collection companies that do nothing but find alternative phone numbers for people, houses next door, neighbors, friends possible relatives, you name it, they are getting numbers for it.

• Ju
      Aug 20, 2009

I agree with married 1006. I used to be one of the "skip tracers" described. We would call the neighbors, past employers, friends if we could find them...whatever might lead us to the 'deadbeat' person who was not paying their bills.
    I didn't last long at this job. It sucked the life out of you and I don't like to lie for a living.

Nov 15, 2010

They just contacted my neighbor and asked for my twin sister that co signed for my nephew! I am so upset I don't talk to my neighbors and to have one delivered a number from a Geigh who said it was urgent is unforgetable! I AM SO MAD AND I TOLD THEM I AM CONTACTING A LAWYER!!!

• Ge
      May 24, 2011

I went to school in 2001. Which The school was brought out by another school. Granted I have not made many payments.. I have made attempts to set up a payment plan. I told her I could do 150 a month she told me that fine with a down payment of 3 grand.. I told her who has 3 thousands dollar on hand.. And said if I cant do that no more reason to talk.. Then hang up the phone... The funny thing is I havn't use anything from the school or and she talking about garnishing my wage.. [censored]t any that much any way... Some one give me advice...