DazzleWhite and Vibrant White / Scammed, help me out?

United States Review updated:
I foolishly signed up to two scam websites after seeing an offer on CNN's website. Dazzlewhite and Vibrantwhite.
I learned it was a scam and since called and canceled my card, although I'm rather confused why the bank representative said it would be marked as "lost".

I am calling tomorrow (calling now says they re closed) to all the website's numbers and affiliated numbers to try and cancel the Dazzlewhite and Vibrantwhite orders, including telling them I will report them to the BBB and FTC for unauthorized charges to my account if they should try to charge me the $59 and other charges many have reported.

However I am not very familiar with banking and wondered how my canceling the card will affect all this? It was done before any charge was shown on my online banking site, will I still see the charges? Can I in any way be held responsible for them being unable to charge me the amount I supposedly agreed to? Are they required by law to cancel any membership towards a canceled card account or can they use it as an excuse to try and save up months of charges and then claim I owe them the money?

Likewise I have some other charges that automatically go to the card (Boingo Internet and Phantasy Star Universe for example). Will they see that my card is canceled and automatically cancel their service, after which I simply renew the service under my new card if I so wish? Or can they use the canceled card as an excuse to pile on charges if I don't call in and specifically cancel.

Thanks for your time in helping me through this.

N  1st of Sep, 2009 by
Although I can’t address your original inquiry, I can certainly shed some light on Boingo’s policy regarding cancelled credit cards.

When a credit card in our system goes to an expired state, we continue to maintain the account in an active status for 60 days. During this period, the account continues to accumulate monthly subscription charges (usually up two (2) months). If you call to update your credit card information during this time, we will apply any past due charges to your new credit card. After 60 days, we change the account status to inactive, and the past due balance carries forward with the account.