Days Inn / cleanliness, unprofessional staff, health hazards

Memphis, TN, United States Review updated:

I booked a room at Days Inn & Suites by Wyndham Memphis East for August 3-5th and by far this has been the worst hotel experience I've ever had to date.
I arrived at approximately 9:40pm on the 3rd with plans on exploring the city nightlife and Beale Street for a couple hours that night, attend the wedding/reception the 4th and leave first thing on the 5th. As a first time visitor to this historic city, I was excited at the prospect of doing some exploring, albeit for just a few short hours that night. I unpacked, hung my clothing and prepared to shower, but decided to use the toilet first. I sat and promptly slid sideways to the floor, toilet seat and all. Imagine the shock and indignity of it! Like any guest would, I called (9:54pm) the front desk, explained the situation and was offered to have someone to fix the toilet (30-45mins later) or change rooms. I decided to switch rooms, repacked my belongings and trudged back to the front desk.
Once I arrived at the front desk I was once again asked exactly what was wrong with the toilet to my confusion. Was he not the same person who checked me in and did I not speak to him not 10 mins previously? I will admit the question was surprising because I was so detailed in my account the first time but explained again. His response was "OOOOh that's always been broken!" My response was "And you book this room knowing this?" His response to my shock was "No one ever complains." As he continues searching for a room to relocate me to I stand there stupefied at the blatant indifference of his statement. After a few minutes he hands me a keycard and I head to my new room with hopes of recuperating my night plans. It's now 10:20 and the first order of business is to finally use the toilet (after checking that it was securely bolted). To my relief it was, proceeded to unpack and get ready for my long awaited shower. I turn on the water, look up and to my repulsion I see mold. Not a few spots of newly formed mold but the kind that had taken weeks or months to take root. I call the front desk once again (10:29pm) and told them about the mold and my need of a new room.
To my dismay, I was informed that they had no rooms available and they wouldn't have any available till the morning. With no manager on duty (he wasn't expected till about 6am) I had no choice but to wait till morning to change rooms. By now the excitement I felt at exploring Memphis had dissipated so I decided to stay in.
After a shower, probably the quickest I've ever had in my life (I figured the least amount of exposer the better), I attempted to go to bed. The first thing I notice once I pull back the sheets is the pink stains on the pillow, I turn it over and I see black marks. I move on to the second pillow and it's so dingy I'm nervous about touching it. The third pillow is more of the same stains. I decide to check the rest of the linen and find various stains and smudges and several hairs. I walk down to the front desk and was told again they would get me a new room first thing in the morning as they expected several guests to leave early. I return to my room and evaluated my options:
1) Try to find another hotel all together even though I had already paid for the two nights (which I couldn't afford)...Or,
2) Wait till morning for a new room and/or try to get a refund (their policy is you can't get a refund if you stayed in the room past 15mins).
Either way I needed to speak to the manager so I decided to wait. I slept fully dressed and upright in the chair. Worst night ever! Promptly at 6am, I make my way to the front desk almost giddy with the prospect of getting a "clean" room and sleeping till it was time for the afternoon wedding. I was informed the manager wasn't expected till around 7am. I'm still not too discouraged as there's free continental breakfast right? The only offerings for breakfast was yogurt a few pieces of half stale toast, muffins that looked like they'd seen better days, dispenser juice, dispenser cereal and a jug of milk that would expire that day (exactly how long had they been working on that jug of milk?). Once again I have to decide if I want to risk leaving for breakfast and not get first dibs on the managers attention or deal with it. From my experience thus far on the sheer uncleanliness of the rooms, I was not about to eat anything that wasn't packaged prior to me opening it so yogurt for breakfast it was! Promptly at 7am (actually 6:59am because I was so ready to get this resolved and wanted the managers attention first), I called the front desk. The manager still hadn't come in to my irritation but was told they would have him call me as soon as he came in. When I asked about another room, I was told this couldn't possibly happen before 11am. So why was I given the impression that it would be early morning? I went back to my dirty room and my sleep chair and decided to wait for the manager. After a restless upright nap, I reach for my kindle and was greeted by not one but two roaches just kicking back on the night stand. Like it couldn't get any worse!! I went back to the front desk (7:52am) and was told that the manager still hadn't come in (I thought he was supposed to come in at 7am?).
Now he's not sure "if" the manager was coming since he's off duty on weekends. REALLY!!! So the assurances I received previously that I could speak to the manager and I would be getting a room first thing was just night clerk blowing smoke up my behind?! And when I asked about the room it's now 11am before I can get one? I went back to my room dejected because there's nothing I can do now but gather my things for my 11am move. At 11:53 I called the front desk again as I hadn't heard anything from them and was informed by a new person that they couldn't get me a room until around 3pm. Isn't check in at 2pm? I responded that I was told by the previous clerk that I would be able to get a clean room by 11am since they would have rooms available by then. The new clerk informed me that they were unable to accommodate my request (like I was just asking for an extra blanket) and no explanation given as to why. And if check in is at 2pm, why would I have to wait till 3pm for a clean room? I realize at this point that they had no intention of following through with the promises made and asked for a refund.
The clerk advised me that she was unable to give me a refund but I was free to seek accommodations at a different hotel. So essentially I'm being told to either stay in the dirty room or go elsewhere. I opted to call Travelocity, since I booked the hotel through them, and lodged my complaint. They were very understanding after I explained the situation and even called the hotel directly to seek a refund on my behalf. I was refunded what I paid for the second night but they refused to refund for the first night despite all of the issues I had and promises made. The Travelocity agent stated that the hotel clerk said in no uncertain terms that they had no mold and had no roaches and that I was lying. So now I'm a liar, right? By now I'm back at the front desk and asked the hotel clerk since she believed I was lying I could show her the pictures to prove my case. She of course backtracked and said she never told Travelocity I was lying but said she didn't see the room so she couldn't say. Hmmmm. Travelocity stated they couldn't force the hotel to give me a refund of the previous night but they did help me find accommodations at a nearby hotel. In all, I will be posting this any where I can, hope everyone see's this and never stays at any of this hotels locations. After all these years of staying in Days Inns I will never step foot in any location ever again.

• Updated by DanJar, Aug 08, 2018

I do believe @teareoa spends hall his/her time contradicting bad reviews. It's hard to take someone like that serious but the world is full of idiots, we just have to tolerate them like an incontinent pet.

• Updated by DanJar, Aug 08, 2018

Hmmm...you mad huh? Did I per chance touch a nerve? You really have a lot of time if all you do is troll complaint postings with these idiotic comments. However, I'm wondering if you are an employee of this establishment since you staunchly defend a hotel you probably have never visited. I am truly entertained by you!

Da
Aug 06, 2018

Comments

• 9w
      Aug 08, 2018

yes you are correct in your observation

• 9w
      Aug 08, 2018

he trolls and spews his opinion as fact this person