Days Inn / guest complaints

I have worked as a General Manager for several Days Inns for 20 years, and have over 30 years of experience in the lodging industry. I have to say that these complaints are appalling. I have no doubt that they are true. There are disreputable managers & owners, and crappy rude employees all across the board, whether at a high priced chain or budget chain. There is no excuse for rudeness, ever, even when the guest is calling me or a member of my team everything but a child of God. There are things we can't control, but we do the best we can under the circumstances, and always try to make it right for the guest. I can't control when a storm comes through and takes out the cable, or the hot water tank explodes, or hail damages a guest's car; if you leave your laptop & your purse on the front seat of your car and go to sleep, I can't control a crime of opportunity; my security guards walk all night but can't stand guard over just your car. There is no excuse for a dirty room. There just isn't. Even if the owners of the property aren't doing their part & providing the tools to keep the property in great condition, a manager is still responsible for cleanliness. There is always a way! We have routines in place for preventive maintenance, for bedspread washing, carpet shampooing, mattress flipping & replacement, drapery drycleaning, etc. We keep our grounds clean, trash picked up & lawns mowed. We always, ALWAYS try to put our best face forward for our guests. It should be said then, that guests lie; that's a sad fact. I have been told that an ice machine doesn't work, they want their money back; I will walk to the machine with the guest...guess what, it works! I have even been expected to refund a room charge because the guest didn't understand that I can't control mosquitos flying and biting outside. I have been told all manner of tales, most of them scams. My staff is trained to go out of their way to make a guest comfortable; then the guest calls the complaint hotline and says their room was dirty, had no pillows, whatever, but that guest never said a word to the staff after arriving in their room, and never said a word at checkout. There are procedures to file complaints with Days Inn; understand please that each property is individually owned, franchised from Wyndham Worldwide/Days Inn; do not blame all Days Inns for what happened at one. Call the Days Inn hotline, register your complaint; it will be handled either by the property or by corporate staff. As for guaranteed reservations & non-refundable cancellations, I would remind you to note whether you are booking through a 3rd party reseller such as Hotwire or Expedia; they have policies for no-refunds because they are deep-discounting; at the property level, we cannot fix something they screwed up, and we can't match their rates; just because you saw THEIR rate online doesn't mean I can give it to you; you have to book THAT rate through THEIR website. Please read everything carefully before booking online, make a paper printout of your reservation with the confirmation number; without that number, I can't do anything to help you with a situation. Also, if the signs say "no smoking" or "no pets", please abide by that; we get complaints all the time when our guests ignore OUR policies and diminish the experience of the next guest. And please, if you do have a problem, please present it in a civil way, face to face if possible, immediately, so that it can be handled immediately! I can't fix a burned out light bulb 20 days after you check out and decide that this one thing "devastated" your vacation. Thank you for allowing me to have my rebuttal, and on behalf of the other managers/owners who actually give a crap about the business of hospitality, I apologize for the awful things you have encountered.

Comments

• Fb
      7th of Sep, 2010

there is a hotel situated on the A1 south bound Barnsdale bar wentbridge pontefract, they call themselfs former travelodge, but when you walk in the hotel all you can see is days inn logo's all over the hotel, so is this one of your hotels or not i was rather confused.

• 19
      22nd of Feb, 2016

I have stayed at days inn. In Easley sc. For 25 days my first week was horrible my room smelled roaches were in my microwave an shower they moved me I was bitten by a spider so they moved me again an this room had bed bugs I have been bitten by them so I ask to be moved again they wouldn't an told me I had to keep that room they weren't gonna clean it up an I had to sleep on the same bug ridden sheetz I have photos an video of the bugs on my pillow an where I had been bitten the first day I told the lady behind the desk to sign me up for Wyndham rewards she said she did but I never received my free night an now they wouldn't even let me come back it is raining in south Carolina an cold an I'm out in the rain I feel that I should talk to a lawyer but thought I would reach out to someone who can either refund my money or give me a couple nights free at another hotel in Easley I mean it is only fair after the WA I have been treated please someone contact me at billygoodine7@gmail.com or 8645679630 thanks for your time an may God bless u for your services.