Davison Inventegration / we were trained to rip you off

1 Pittsburgh, PA, United States Review updated:

As a former Davison salesperson, I truly feel it is my duty to tell people just how heartless this company is and feels about the general consumer out there. It amazes me to see their web site and all the smiling and palm pressing & the 'wonderful' stories on the site about how great they are, all the companies they work with, all the happy customers, blah, blah, blah. The only thing is, I was on the inside for a long time and saw as well as heard first hand what really matters. We didn't make any money from royalties. What we made money from (and a lot of it) was you, the everyday person out there who believed enough in your idea to send it to us. Oh sure we sounded regal on the phone with a fancy BS title and a slick sounding recorded voice mail "Mr so and so the Director of New Products can't come to the phone", and to be honest with you folks we didn't even know who the woman was on our own voice mails. That was something you better learn quick at Davison...do not ask a lot of questions. The money & commission check was the key. We turned a blind eye on a LOT of shady/potentially illegal things going on there for one reason. Cash. At that point in my life that was the only thing that was important to me & we got it in spades. We would tell people that we were " thoroughly" searching for manufactures or that your product was made for the "specific manufacturing demensions of the corporation we are presenting it to", all lies lies lies. We didn't care less if your grandmother broke her neck chasing kids out from a burning car, if your payment wasn't in our office when you said it would be we would make your life miserable. Not returning calls after 5 voicemails from the paying customer or leaving a humiliating message for the inventor with one of their family members, whatever the case may be...it was a great scam, I mean the best writers in Hollywood couldn't have written better scripts than we used. Yes, we had to follow a mandatory script. If you had a rebuttal, we had a page to turn to to answer it, and they were all good. They were written by Frank Vescio and Anthony Valkanas, who also train the sales people. Valkanas used to sell Volvos for a living, so of COURSE he was qualified to be a Vice President of New Products (insert sarcasm here). Anyway people, we never met any of the design people, we were not allowed to call them interoffice, we as "Directors" never had one bit of input on your product and it was never "presented" to them, it was mass mailed just like the Pennysaver classifieds you get with your junk mail. So people take heed---you will get taken for 685 + they WILL tell you they have to develop it for 8, 000-15, 000. You will get ripped off and will be made a fool of.

Comments

• Ex
      11th of Oct, 2009

I worked there too. Watch out for a few of these people who still work there scamming would-be inventors. They are:

Gary Humes
    Erik Champagne
    Ben Choffel
    Gary Yarber
    Greg McKita
    Dan Simbeck
    Mike Salati
    Jon Brenza (a chia-pet is smarter than this guy)

• Le
      6th of Nov, 2009

Wow Davison, this is a great start. I think what we will begin with then is an explanation from the staff on what the $10, 000, 000 settlement was paid for then. I think it would be unfair for someone to have to pay such a hefty fine if there was no wrondoing that was taking place. Can you answer this for us? We await with baited breath...

• Le
      6th of Nov, 2009

Hey Davison, why don't you start upping the ante and paying out rewards to the tune of $685? It would certainly be nice for you to start giving out the same amounts that us inventors have been giving you. Now THATS a great start.

• Li
      7th of Nov, 2009

WANTED
    DEAD OR ALIVE

BOUNTY OFFERED
    Crimes Commited:

People expressing their right to freedom of speech - One count
    Speaking the truth about what they really know - One count
    Having a set of ethics and morals - One count
    Feeling horrible about leading inventors on - One count

These horrible acts will not be tolerated by Davison management.

• Fo
      9th of Nov, 2009

While searching this site for information on Microsoft I came across my name and am absolutely shocked to say the least. I am not sure who you are (who posted the original comment), and frankly I do not really care. To fill you in I know longer work for Davison, however I do not appreciate the insult; I worked very hard for my clients for 9 years and also believed in what Davison is doing for inventors. It’s a tough industry to work in and invent in, but it is obvious to me by your negative feelings that you just didn’t have what it takes.

• Sh
      9th of Nov, 2009

You are 100% correct. I didn't have what it takes to keep taking peoples money for getting absolutly nothing in return. I cared about these people who I had built relationships with, shared a laugh with and received birthday wishes and holiday greetings from. I couldn't bare the thought of taking from these people any longer. And just for laughs, I won accolades from sales management in every monthly category for a #1 performance (just in case that was what you were referring to). And the fact you worked there 9 years and didn't see what I and dozens of others saw leads me to believe that you have a handicapped plaque on your rear view mirror, because you must be visually impaired.

• Pe
      28th of Jan, 2010

where is ben choffel? is he still there? i heard he is now the jr sr lead extraspecial double whammy superduper idea coach. listen to him! you will have more money coming in from inventors than you know what to do with! just keep telling the inventors the project is "transitioning smoothly" into the next stage. that will keep them at bay for a bit while you enjoy their cash. always worked for me. by the time you get back from barbados on some poor snook inventors cash, you can just tell them when they ask where have you been and why havent you returned my calls, that you were "meeting with your design team on how to better create your product to the manufacturers capabilities" lol. that line from ben choffel always worked. Go BEN CHOFFEL!!!

• Fa
      14th of Mar, 2010

Cheif Consumer Advocate = more bureaucracy.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me embarrassed to be an American.

Why would a company that's doing the right thing need one?

All the rewards you posted are less than half of the fees people are swindled out of in the first place - big deal. If you really care, up the ante and post a phone number. You'll get calls...lots of them.

Quit the white collar doublespeak and just tell people the facts: Davison makes loads of money on fees, and precious little on royalties.

• Ts
      27th of Apr, 2010

They already have $25.00 from me, saying I can make payments. As I am on Social Security. I do not know who or what to believe now. Medical area mine, and several doctors are estatic, and now I find this after not being able to find anything at all against Davison with the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania BBB. I even checked with the Washington BBB, and nothing against Davison there either, no complaints, just a big green check mark. But all BBB's I did check with did ask if I wanted to make a complaint. These are the only complaints I have ever seen, here on this page. Can anyone show me the link to the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania BBB, showing any complaints? As I stated, I checked and could not find a single one. ?????? But still I am in fear now, because I do not have all the money that I see here, rather read here, that they ask for. And no way could I ever get that amount either. :((

• He
      3rd of Jul, 2010

Tsis please do NOT deal with Davison as you will lose all your money. I have lost my $695 but no more. As far as I know all companies will have upfront fees that is not refundable. Its really is a scam company and most of their products that are licenced are their own products. The rest are just design packages for companies that hired Davison for design only not the product. Always read everything 3times. They never admit to anything for clients. The salespeople (Directors of New Products is what they are being called) are trying to make their own living anyway they can so they will tell you anything that will get more money out of you so that they can make a living. Normal people like you and me trying to do their job. Its the Davison Company that make the rules and rule number 1 is to get as much money from us as they can. BBB gives them an F and if anyone still believes they have a chance then go see a lawyer or just type in Davison Scam. Watch your credit card as I have heard that they will keep taking money out unless you contact your bank to stop them. Everybody tell yourself this: How much can you afford to lose cause any company that thinks your product is licensable will NOT charge you anymore than the first upfront fee. SO BEWARE OF BEING ASK FOR MORE MONEY. ITS MEANS ' WE ARE SCAM ARTIST '. Unfortunately I will have to save up the upfront fee which is non-refundable to try a more respectable company that I researched but at least this time they will tell me the truth about whether my product will be able to be licensed or not.

• Ne
      22nd of Jul, 2010

I hired Davison who is an inventor promotional firm to help me bring my idea from conception to market. I have paid excess of $9000 in July 2009 and was last contacted by my representative Michael Grando in March 2010. At that time, I was told my actual product sample had been manufactured and was in QA and I would have a provisional patent application within 2 weeks. I never heard back from Grando and began calling leaving voicemails and sending emails. Finally I spoke to the receptionist who advised Grando was on medical leave and Gary Humes was handling my design. I began leaving Humes numerous voicemails and have also left voicemails with the Vice President and still have not received a response regarding my inquiries on my product.

Since my concerns, I have learned Davison had been sued by the FTC for practices that are still being used today in which I am a victim of. For example, I was told they had great contacts with companies, more specifically, Cuisinart with which they would be presenting my design to. I am learning that they do not have solid standing here. When I told them I had another company in mind I was told that they were the experts in this area and had done all of the preliminary research to target this company. I even asked who their contact with Cuisinart was and was told that it was a confidentiality matter and could not be shared with me. I was also told that very few people's ideas were accepted by Davison as they were selective on the applicants received but mine was being accepted for further development.

• Ki
      17th of Aug, 2010

I must say I do agree with the person who wrote this. As soon as they said they wanted me to pay $10, 000-14, 000 I ended it there. I called another place and was explaining what was going on and before I even said the name of the company they knew who I was talking about. They said Davison is NOT even licensed to do half of the crap they claim to be doing. I was also told, they do NOT present your ideas to a company (one thing they're not licensed to do) You see their name..RUN AWAY!! Keep your money!

• Bo
      21st of Aug, 2010

April 2009, I entered a contract with Davison where they agreed to build a 'Product Sample' of my invention and ultimately present it to a corporation for possible leasing. They were to run my idea through their 'exclusive process' consisting lof a series of stages from 'brainstorming, to concept models, engineering, , packaging, design, and ultimately to a corporation. This was to be accomplished by a design team, engineers, and other professionals from start to completion. Jason Michalski was my 'Senior Idea Coach' and Marketing Director of New Products. My contract stipulated I pay 60% of $11600 to bring my invention to compledted design stage 'Integrated Product Rendering'. Then I was to give my signed approval for them to build the 'product' fgor presentation. July 2010 I finally received the completed design of my idea. I was totally shocked. The 'rendering' had no resemblance of lmy idea at all. The design they sent me was a variation of what was already on the market (and already pantented). As a result I had the most exhasperating conversation of my life with Jason on the phone expressing my disappointment and disbelief that my idea was totally disregarded. He acted shocked and his response was was as if from a script . He told me that his team worked hard to 'solve the problem' that I presented. I told him it was already invented and on the market. He said "no it's not'. I told him it was in pictures resulting from the patent search they sent me. He said "it wasn't. He told me to calm down, and to not yell at him. I told him he deceived me from not being up front with me all these months by telling me the project was "coming along" and his "design team was doing a wonderful job". I told him I had doubts that Davison had the engineering capability to produce my invention. He became angry telling me I was "knocking" his company and that Davison has products all over the country. He told me to fax him the portion of the rendering I was unhappy with and send it to him and they would start all over again. I told him I was unhappy with all of it and the whole Davison company and hung up. I decided that they were not going to get another dime from me and was going to find a reputable company to persue my dream. Since then Jason has left email s inviting me to come visit the company and messages to the effet that we needed to continue with the project. Unbelievable!!!

• Lf
      31st of Aug, 2010

I am so happy I found this board. At this point I am getting almost daily phone calls from them, actually just spoke to my "director" and electronically "signed" the contract, but to date I haven't paid them a penny, and now I will discontinue my association with them.

I had a feeling it was a scam, but I do have a couple of ideas that I believe have merit. Can anyone recommend a bonafide, honest company that I can float my idea to?

7th of Sep, 2010

I HOPE THAT THESE COMPLAINTS ARE OR ARE NOT LEGITIMATE.
    WHICH IS IT ?????? I'M ONE OF THOSE WHO IS AFFECTED BY THESE
    COMPLAINTS SINCE I DID INVEST LOTS OF MONEY IN MY IDEA !!!

• In
      3rd of Dec, 2010

The employees at Davison don't give 2 [censored]'s about your invention. The salesman (director) is just making a commission, the designer is just making a per-project commission passing your idea to the guy in China who works on your engineering and graphics and has no idea what's going on, and you just get a crappy end product. Oh ya..the China people...they never tell you that part do they. LOL.

• In
      3rd of Dec, 2010

This place is not so much as a scam, but more of a misleading parasite. They don't tell you that they send your idea to China for development. They don't tell you that the director/salesmen makes a commission on your idea...don't tell you that the so-called designer gets paid on a commission to hurry though your idea...your whole invention idea is just a hamburger to be flipped for someone's paycheck. Your life's dream is just someone's hamburger. Sorry. I used to work there. It sucks. Do your research before buying. If you spend the money, it's your fault, plain and simple. Sorry.

3rd of Dec, 2010

We are happy to address your comment.

If you are a former employee you would understand that China is a major player in the world’s economy and that large product design and engineering firms having locations in the United States, like Frog Design and IDEO, have established offices located in foreign countries like China. We invested in China to establish an economic means to help save consumers money. As a matter of fact, in over 22 years in business, our prices have rarely gone up. We’ve been able to achieve economies of scale by working here in the United States and in China. (We’re pretty sure that the people in China desire the right to want to better their lives as we have been able to achieve here in the US so we don’t really understand why you would want to strike out at our Chinese employees. They are good people who believe in quality, integrity and our mission to be able to provide the most cost effective product design approach ever created.)

There are even design firms establishing offices in Mexico not to mention many have offices in Europe. As well, I think we all know that most major manufacturers here in the United States have offices and manufacturing plants in China and other parts of the world. It’s simply good business and saves the consumers money.

One additional fact that bears mentioning is that every product sample that is made, is assembled and packaged in the United States. There’s not really that much more to say except that we wish you the best with your career.

CCA

@Davison's Chief Consumer Advocate Hello, conmen

6th of Mar, 2018

@Davison.con I see Davison conned a minister in this thread, $10, 000, ouch! real low life's!

6th of Mar, 2018

@Davison.con When I pressed Gary Dafor (Senior Director of New Products) why my new kettle, a copy and pasted picture from Amazon already on sale had none of my design he said "we don't do any development that cost money!" These are his words. So I guess my 13K just went into your pockets. Nice, I wish I could do that sell a picture from Amazon for 13k. CU low life.

6th of Mar, 2018

@Davison.con P.S. can I sell the picture back to you as I would like my pension money back! I should be retired but had to go back to work!

• Th
      24th of Jul, 2011

I just submited my idea to Davinson Athony Valkanas, is helping me I have not paid my $750.00 yet because I had been busy but now reading all of this I am confuse. So, what's now ... what company is good? how to knos if a company is Real?...Can somebody heal???

6th of Mar, 2018

@thomas2011 Please, keep your money, the pockets of these conmen are full enough! Don't do it! I see you posted 2011, am I too late?

• Co
      23rd of Apr, 2018

@Davison.con So they keep your idea, submit it elsewhere & claim it? Along with any royalties, while dragging more money out of you? I've submitted a dam good idea too! Please reply to farriscory8@gmail.com

• Me
      27th of Jul, 2011

I have worked for this company and I disagree with all of this. I never once lied to any of my clients. I was straight forward and direct with them. In-fact my client were fully aware of the entire process and the entire cost that would be involved to bring their product to life from the very beginning. And I was trained by Anthony Valkanas. He never told me to lie or scam anyone. Davison is a great company and they truly believe in their clients and their process and they have helped many many clients fulfill their dream of seeing their IDEA come to life. I suggest that you do a little more research! Go to the stores and see how many products Davison has helped get there.