David's Bridal / Poor Service/Alterations

1 Ft Myers, United States Review updated:

I purchased my wedding dress at David's Bridal in Ft. Myers. I decided to get the alterations done at David's Bridal. I wound up spending almost as much in alterations as the dress itself cost. Ok, that's fine, as long as it's done right. I went in in April for my alterations. They pinned me and I was told that they would be taking in the sides, the zipper and hemming it, in addition to the bussles. I went back in 3 months later for my "final" fitting. The dress zipped up past my hips and waist, but didn't even come close to zipping up around my ribcage. The first words out of the alterations lady's mouth were "What did you do?!?". Ok, I'm in the fitness industry. I work out, take good care of myself, and eat right. I've been the same size, and basically the same weight, for the past 8 years. I told the lady this, and she said that sometimes people "redistribute their weight". FROM WHERE?!?! I'm the same size everywhere else...all my clothes fit the same...I was wearing the same bra I had 3 months prior. And, what major change had my body gone through in the past 3 months that would cause me to "redistribute" my weight? So they remeasured me. Everything else was the same...except the bust. The had written me down as a 32 in the chest the first time I went in...I haven't been a 32 since 8 grade. When she remeasured me, she found I was a 37.5, which I am. She said, "here's the problem...you gained 5.5 inches in the bust". REALLY?!? 5 inches in 3 months, without surgery!!! She then told me that it wasn't their fault, I obviously gained, since they didn't take in that area. I mentioned that she told me 3 months ago that they'd have to take in the zipper. She said "oh, no, we didn't touch the zipper". I went home, checked the alterations receipt, and sure enough, there was a charge for "Taking in zipper". I called the manager, and was assured that this would be taken care of, at no charge. Later, I got a call from the alterations lady, who proceeded to yell at me, saying that she never told me that they didn't touch the zipper...that I was wrong. She wouldn't let me get a word in. So, two weeks later, I had to go back in for a refitting. Same situation...nothing was done to fix it. While, this time, she did admit to taking in the zipper, she still was insistant that I gained. She told me that even if they let the dress out to where it was prior to alterations (which had me swimming in it), it wouldn't be enough. I'm going back in a month for my next "final" fitting, and I'm worried that the dress will still be messed up, I'll be out $1000, and have a month to find a new dress.

Comments

• He
      13th of Apr, 2009

This SAME EXACT thing happened to me at the David's Bridal in Warwick, RI. They measured me two inches bigger in the bust and waist than 3 months earlier. However, it was a different lady doing the measurements.

The size 4 was originally slightly too small, couldn't get the zipper all the way up comfortable, but the 6 I was swimming in. So I wanted the 6 taken in to somewhere between a 4 and 6. I went back 3 months later (so much later because I live far away from the bride, and that's where we had alterations done) and they accused me of getting bigger, and there was nothing they could do. I had to actually put on the 4, show them that I could indeed zip it up although it was tight, and then put on the dress that used to be a 6 and show them that I couldn't zip it up at all before she actually believed me. This place is unbelievable and I will never shop there again!!!
    ~Heidi

• Me
      5th of Apr, 2013

This same thing happened to me. For my first fitting, they took the dress IN--even though I already felt like a sausage but since I don't know anything about fashion I had my complete trust in them.
    Today, I went back in for the second fitting and they couldn't zip it up over my bust. The girl took measurements and told me that I had the same measurements. She went and got the seamstresses and they came out and said NO! You measured wrong...she's gained 3 inches in the bust. Then they pulled the girl who took the original measurements aside where I could not hear them talking.
    Then that same girl took me into the dressing room where she had me take the dress off so she could re-measure me. She then told me I had gained an inch in the bust. So which one is it?? I've already paid $375 in alterations on an already expensive dress. I'm not giving them an extra dollar...even if I have to wear the dress unzipped to my boobs in the end.
    Not only that but it was the most humiliating thing in my life having three women measuring my chest trying to prove to each other that I had gained weight. NEVER AGAIN. Go somewhere else.