David's Bridal / Color hassle and rude service

1 East Brunswick, NJ, United States Review updated:

I went with my two bridesmaids to get their dresses at David’s Bridal. They advertise that they can get any style in any color. Except when we actually picked out the styles we wanted and asked for the color (Periwinkle) we wanted, we were told that the color is being discontinued and they can’t order it for us at all. We will have to call other stores ourselves to see if any of those stores carry the same styles in the sizes and color we want or we can get whatever we can from the clearance rack. No way was I going to put myself through that. I figure I don’t absolutely have to have that color anyways so I switched to a darker blue (Serene). Except that was a hassle too. The styles that we picked didn’t come in Serene so we had to change dress styles. Since we’re matching the color of the bridesmaids’ dresses to the groomsmen’s vests and David’s Bridal has some sort of affiliation with Men’s Wearhouse, the lady that helped us pick out the dressed told us that “absolutely, they [Men’s Wearhouse] have a lot of vests in Serene.” All of this took over an hour when they advertised how easy it would be to shop there. And the lady helping us was horrible. It’s no fault of ours that their selection of styles doesn’t come in all the colors they advertised. Yet, she repeatedly told us that we were “killing her” and seemed annoyed when we ask her questions. She seemed to have no computer competency at all and everything we asked her she had to fiddle for a long time at the computer to find out.

In any event, after my bridesmaids paid for their dresses, I went with my fiancé to Men’s Wearhouse to get the tuxes. When I told the gentleman working there that we have Serene dresses from David’s Bridal, he had no idea what color I was talking about! They don’t carry the color Serene at all despite the lady at David’s Bridal assuring us that Men’s Wearhouse have “a lot of vests in Serene.” The closest color that came to Serene was…PERIWINKLE, which they had plenty of and the gentleman told me that it wasn’t discontinued and we can still order vests in that color any time we want.

So back I went to David’s Bridal. The lady that “helped” us pick out our dresses wasn’t there so I spoke to someone else. This lady was just as unhelpful. I very politely explained the situation to her and her response was “what do you want me to do about it?” I told her I just wanted to know what my options were considering that an employee at David’s Bridal made a mistake and sold us dresses in a color that wouldn’t match anything at Men’s Wearhouse. Her response was: 1) why don’t the groomsmen just wear black vests? 2) She double-checked and they can magically order Periwinkle again despite not being able to a few days earlier 3) I shouldn’t have to settle for any color I don’t want (hilarious, since she then repeated that Periwinkle was being discontinued soon and I need to make a decision soon about the color of the dresses). Her tone during all this was rude and condescending. I finally told her that I don’t want those options. I just want a refund for my bridesmaids and we’ll look for dresses elsewhere. That’s when I found out that they won’t do refunds. They won’t do refunds for dresses ordered in April that won’t arrive until July! It wasn’t until after reading all the complaints against David’s Bridal that I realize their employees are just trained to make a sale and hook their customers in at all costs.

An

Comments

9th of Aug, 2007
    David's Bridal - Incompetance!

I live in CT, am getting married in St.Louis and have a Maid/Matron of honor, and 3 bridesmaid who live in different states. So I can't even blame my bad (and their bad) experience on one store. All 4 David's Bridal stores have proven above and beyond that they care only for the bridal sale, have no computer competence looking up bridal info for other stores, nor do they care about keeping appt. with the bridesmaids. They overbooked one of my bridesmaids because a BRIDE decided to come in and they concurred that "yes", even though you had an appt, "a bridal visit overshadows that". And you want to know why, eager consumers? Because the big money is the DRESS. Once they get that one you, forget about the rest of your bridal party. And their alteration costs are obscene. I had my French Bustles (3), and dress taken in, and hemmed/steamed at a local shop for 125$ (and that's in CT where everything is expensive!!). DB wanted 300+ for this job. I wouldn't have given them the money even if the "other" alterations place had charged me the same 300$. Not one more dime of my money will EVER go into DB.. Each one of my bridesmaids had to call me while in the store, b/c the girls helping them couldn't even find me in the system. One girl, when she did find me, didn't know how to read the comments sections under "notes". she almost got my bridesmaid into my maid of honor's dress!! NOW COME ON!! the whole point of going to a chain like DB is for uniformity and convenience. I go into the store, tell them what all my girls are wearing, and my girls go into their respective stores, drop the bride's name or phone number, pay for their dress, and you re done... NO. NOT EXACTLY HOW IT REALLY WORKS.

I would highly advise any new brides to really REALLY take a look at their local bridal boutiques as you will get one on one service and much better care. This day is about you feeling like the only princess and when you are standing on that little round platform at David's with about 5 other bride-to-be's all around you, and 2 salespeople fluttering around all of you like frenzied birds- well - you just don't get the same fuzzy feeling. I'd like to write a letter to someone at David's, but am not sure who or how. I think they are franchised so a lot of good it will do...

• Li
      8th of Jun, 2008

This was awful!! At first, I thought, "Hmm...David's Bridal has these nice fliers with nice pictures!" Once at the store, NO ONE HELPED ME, and the dressing rooms, for some reason, looked and smelled like a filthy Texaco latrine! Any way, I am five feet, six inches tall, and my friend, who was with me, stands at a mere five feet. After the woman who was supposed to "help" me disappeared to talk on her cell phone, my short little friend had to help me into these billowing wedding dresses! AND THESE DRESSES ARE CRAP! Made of - I can't even explain. So cheaply made, the details are horrendous. It looked and felt like a the kids at the local high school made these dresses in their home economics class. And I am NOT exaggerating. How can they charge $500 - $1800 for such poorly-crafted crap? After trying on about three dresses and feeling completely disgusted, my friend and I high-tailed it out of there, with some of the employees looking completely baffled as to why we were making such a dramatic exit. The next day, I called the store and complained about the ### service. They asked me if I wanted to reschedule or if I wanted a "coupon" and I said no way. Why hasn't this store gone out of business yet?

I finally got my dress at Brides by Demetrios, and my brides-maids' dresses are all from Bill Levkoff. IF you're looking for excellent quality and gorgeous dresses, check out these vendors, and you won't be disappointed.

• Bo
      18th of Feb, 2009

I can't believe someone else posted this comment. Unfortunately, my fiance did not come across this posting sooner. Now, as the groom, I am still hunting for that stupid "Serene" color tie and vest combination. Mens Wearhouse does not have it, heck they don't even what it is Somerville/Coambridge, MA area. Go figure it. In fact, MW is recommending me to rent Navy Blue for Serene color Bride's maid dress. Thats the way my wedding is going to be ...Lesson learned - Don't order maid's dresses until you are sure you can find Grooms men accessories.

• St
      25th of Feb, 2009

My fiance also went to David's Bridal. What a three ring circus. When she picked out the colors of the gowns she was also told to go to Mens Warehouse since they can "match" the color. Another three ring circus. The salesperson, a 18 year old high school kid had no clue what he was doing. We left there and went on the computer and found ROCHESTER FORMALWEAR in Maple Shade NJ, just down the street from David's Bridal. They Had the exact color of the gown in a vest and tie, Persimmon. The store has been in business for over 100 years and is family run and operated. They said if they didn't have the color they would special order it if it was available, not in our case, but they go the extra mile to take care of their customers. They had tuxedos in stock to try on so there we could see what we were getting, not from a catalog. We were sorry we went to Davids but were stuck, they would not make a refund, but ROCHESTER saved us.

• Ad
      25th of Feb, 2009

I had an appointment with David's bridal and was a couple minutes late because I didnt know where it was and dont carry a cell phone.
    I was told rudely that they woud take me as a walk in basis and it would be a couple of minutes. I waited 30 minutes while they took every other person who walked in after me, not having an appointment, and waited on them. I got hot and left the store not to return!!

• Mu
      27th of Sep, 2009

I will never go back to the David's Bridal in Tupelo, MS. My sister made an appointment and went to see what should could find. Upon arriving she told the sales woman what she was looking for. She wanted something very simple without and pearls or sequins and showed them a few dresses in their catalog for examples. They brought out every dress under the sun that was far from my sister's description. When my sister asked if she could go look for a dress herself the woman rudely asked her if it was the dress she was unhappy with or the price! I was stunned and shocked. I tried to remain calm after this comment and went and picked out a few dresses my sister had in mind. When I showed them to her the sales lady yelled at me and said those were discontinued dresses. My sister agreed that one of them was exactly what she was looking for except the size was wrong and the woman told us it could not be altered and proceeded to walk off and take on another client right in front of us and even removed my sisters clothing from her dressing room and gave it to this other client. I was fit to be tied! It took my mother and my sister to get me out of there before I tore into this woman!

• Ca
      27th of Oct, 2009

I am an employee of the Men's Wearhouse. And our product DOES match David's Bridal! But it's our RENTAL product!!! NOT items that you can PURCHASE and keep. Sometimes you'll luck out and find a tie that matches or something. I have called the David's Bridal down the street from us SEVERAL times and asked them to QUIT telling people that our purchase product matches their colors! Because we have customer's that some in upset bc they want to buy something that matches and they can only rent it. SO the problem does NOT fall on the Men's Wearhouse side, you can hate us all you want, but it's David's Bridal that need to specify and tell the customer the correct thing. And STAN what does the salesperson being 18 have to do with anything?? Yeah I don't doubt that maybe they didn't have it all together, but I have worked with this company for over 6 years, and I started when I was 18. So the age doesn't really matter, it was probably the person's personality or their knowledge (or lack there of) of our product!