David Lloyd Leisure Clubs / It is a Scam

England, Surrey, United Kingdom Review updated:

Under the current economic climate, I find amazing how David Lloyd snub their 'Potential' New Members. They already have a very bad reputation with current and ex members and they are trying to cancel their membership, however I had never heard before when they deliver poor customer service at the signing up process. (Which I do not even have to mention that they did not manage to sign me up).
I joined DL on a trial membership on Saturday 13th April for 7 days. At the time I was informed that the trial membership fee would be deducted from the Joining fee should I decide to join as a full member after the trial. So Monday 23rd of April I make my way to DL Raynes Park to finally join as a full member, even if their 130 pound monthly fee for a 3 month contract seems a bit too much.
Upon arrival I was informed that the regular new membership member of staff was not around so they send someone else instead. This someone else was totally unprepared (did not know what kind of membership I was interested and even admitted himself that he should had read my file). Then told me that I would have to pay the full joining fee since the 7 day trial was over. I argued that it finished on Saturday and I turned up at the club on the first working day. He was adamant that I had to pay the 30 pound joining fee (even though I had paid 25 for the trial and I was never informed that i would have to join within the 7 day trial (which makes the trial not 7 days but maximum 6 days)
I was prepared to pay the monthly membership fee of 130, plus 50 for the group tennis coaching plus 140 for the personal trainer which I had already had a session during the trial week.
So it was not for the 30 pounds that I refused to join, but for the principe behind it.
If this is the way they trea potential new members who are willing to give them a reasonable amount of money, I dread to think how they treat they existing members who have already set up their direct debit with the club and they have a secure income.
Stay well away from David Lloyd they are a con!

Ty

Comments

• Um
      9th of Feb, 2010
    David Lloyds Leisure - Membership contract
    David Lloyds Leisure
    England, Nottinghamshire
    United Kingdom

Ive got the exactly same problem! im at university... no credit experience... visited David Lloyd Leisure with a view to joining. They were very persistent is me joining. Made me fill a form, which I DIDNT KNOW was the contract AND i wasnt told it was the contract, which would make me a member and legally binding woth the agreement. The woman just said 'hey just sign here for me, and thats all we need'. So I just signed it. not knowing what it was. i just thought it was normal procedure. next day get a phone call to pay for 12 months. i was very shocked. told them the situation... wouldnt listen... asked to talk to the manager... he wasnt of ANY help. He just said 'you have signed the contract, you have to pay'. Im a university student, who has been lured into David Lloyds disgusting sales techniques, and not having the money to pay for the gym (as it it horribly expensive!). They are now saying if i dont pay then they with send collections to come and get it. Im not sure what to do? I am going to write to them explaining the situation because as far as I know I dont need to pay anything.
    I totally agree with the other comment on here, BY ANY MEANS AVOID DAVID LLOYDS GYM! THEY TRY AND TARGET VUNERABLE PEOPLE (young/students) WHO DONT HAVE MUCH KNOWLEDGE OF CONTRACTS ETC, GET THEM TO SIGN AND TRY AND GET MONEY FROM THEM. I THINK IT IS JUST DISGUSTING!!

• Al
      4th of Dec, 2012

I am also having problems with David Lloyd. The management don't acknowledge emails and even though they stipulate you can downgrade or even cancel membership if your employment suffers (e.g. redundancy) or there are medical reasons, they do NOT allow you to go through the process. They refuse to accept acknowledgement of letters, e.g. if you provide a letter from a doctor which costs between £10 and £15. While you are trying to deal with a management team that avoid you like the plague, you get automatic online reminders that payments are overdue. When you call to get advice or guidance on the payments, the service is inept and they promise to sort out and call you back. They never do. Time ticks on and they ignore written correspondence. They hope you will go away. My daughter has seen behind the scenes, she's helped out at the club with part-time coaching and gets strong feedback. You'd think that having a child who does that and having been a regular member for a number of months, they would bother with you as a valued customer. Well, we know what goes on now. And we've heard all the moans from the reception staff about the management. Yes, even the staff have a good whinge to customers about the policies and procedures! DO NOT SIGN UP!!! It's dire folks!

• St
      20th of Sep, 2018

i had my account suspended for 2 to 9 months due to injury, 3 months later they re start my membership and take money from my account. when questioned about this they claim i did not tell them how long i needed it suspending for so they have the right to re start it. stay away these money hungry dogs have a big law firm standing by to take your money at any cost. David Lloyd want your money so dad they will stop at nothing