Datarecoverylabs.com / Rip-off

1 4772 East 355th St., Willoughby, OH, US Review updated:
Phone: 1-866-340-0111

I mailed my palm to Datarecoverylabs.com (AscendTech, Inc) for data recovery in Feb. 2009.
The company sent me an email on Feb. 26, 2009 said they have received my media. And in the email, the company state “If you choose to do a recovery we have a Data Guarantee policy which means that if there is no use-able data recovered there is no fee.”
On Mar 18, 2009, Kevin Gladki in AscendTech, Inc emailed me and said they have finished the evaluation of my media and a recovery is possible. And again they said “If you choose to do a recovery we have a Data Guarantee policy which means that if there is no useable data recovered there is no fee”.
On Mar. 25, 2009, the company said I have to pay $199 for donor parts and I paid.
After that, there was no any response from the company.
After I contact them, the company (Jack Baker) said “we are still working on the media which you have sent in to our lab” on Apr 28, 2009.
On Jun 11, 2009, I sent an email to [protected]@datarecoverylabs.com asking the situation. There is no response.
On Jun 12, 2009, I sent an email to [protected]@datarecoverylabs.com and [protected]@datarecoverylabs.com (Jack Baker). There is no response either.
On Jun 17, 2009, I called the company three times.
First time, someone picked up the call and asked me to hold. After more than 10 minutes, the phone was cut off.
Second time, someone picked up the call and asked me to hold. I held for more than 10 minutes, nobody answered the phone again.
And when I called third time, nobody picked up the call at all.
For nearly 4 months, the company never gave the update info about the recovery. And at last, I cannot reach them at all.
Later, Michael Caldwell in AscendTech, Inc told me “your media will not be possible due to damage beyond our ability to repair. At this time we will have to have your media sent back to you or have it scrapped”.
“AscendTech, Inc.” (Datarecoverylabs.com) charged me $199 for Donor Parts to be used to attempt to do data recovery service.
I asked them to show me the Donor parts and they said they trashed the parts already and could not tell me any information about the Donor parts, like the type or maker.
I asked them for the purchase receipt of the Donor Parts and they showed me a receipt issued by AscendTech, Inc. Obviously, they just made up the fake receipt to fool me and they have never bought any Donor Parts.
Then I asked them to send the data from my Palm (no matter it is usable or not) to me. They could not send the data either. Obviously, they didn’t try to recover anything from my Palm device. AscendTech, Inc just made up some excuses and took my money away.
The business in AscendTech, Inc is a total scam.

Me

Comments

• Ab
      May 27, 2010

I agree that this place is hard to get a hold of anyone.

I also agree that the people there take forever to get anything from them.

The initial price that was quoted for recovery of about 30 gigs on a 150 gig hard drive, was about $1, 500. We also had to pay money upfront to get the drive working. $245 was needed for "Donor Parts."

Customer authorized payment for donor
    parts to be used to attempt to do data
    recovery service.
    Customer understands that data recovery
    is not guaranteed and will not hold
    AscendTech, Inc liable
    in event that data recovery is
    unsuccessful. Parts fee is
    non-refundable.

If I don't get my drive or my information, The Attorney General will get involved.

I suggest everyone STAY AWAY FROM DATARECOVERYLABS.COM

• Do
      Jan 05, 2011

I had almost the same experience as mengyu. Stay away from datarecoverylabs.com!!!