Cyberdefender / My Identity Defender / fruadulent company - beware!!

1 CA, United States Review updated:

Avoid Cyberdefender and My Identity Defender at all costs!

This is actually spyware/malware that will install a trojan virus on your computer that will a) display a "you've been infected - download this software" type alert, b) will sporatically restart your system on it's own, and c) will block you from going to any types of tech support sites, spyware removal sites, competitor sites, etc. The block comes in the form of a googlish search result page proudly diplaying their logo at the top. All links direct to their site.

I called tech support to have this "software" removed. The techs were the most unprofessional customer service reps I have dealt with period. Disrespectful, challenging and pushy.

They will not help you unless you a) sign over control of your computer to them (while they copy your files on the back end to obtain personal information), or b) pay their $99 premuim service. One of their techs actually slipped their tongue, saying "Sir, I will help you remove the virus... I mean our software".

Their "free help" includes walking you through add/remove programs in the control panel, and resetting internet explorer to factory defaults - very simplistic procedures. Beyond that, they say they need you to relinquish control of your PC to them or pay the $99 fee. I imagine they are able to trick many people who are less computer savvy.

I am appalled that this company is in business. This is a complete fraud to scam you of your money and obtain important personal information.

Comments

• Dj
      12th of Nov, 2008

I knew from the start that something wasn't right with this program, I currently have it on my work PC, and It's driving me crazy. I typed in My Identity Defender and I immediately saw this site, when i tried to view the page it sent me to a completely different site with streaming videos. I went to my boss office and I am currently using his PC and it's the only way I could view the page. I don't know how to remove the program and my boss seems to think that it is working properly, how do I prove to him that I am actually right, and How the Hell do we get it off my computer. Thanks For the Posting Otherwise I wouldn't have any evidence at all!! Any ideas I will check back

Thanks

Ms Managment

• Tr
      5th of Mar, 2009

Finally. Now I know why my computer turned itself on at 3 am. My experiences with them are already posted. They are much worse than you say--not an insult to you at all--it would take pages to go into all the details. I found your comment about the slip of the tongue, "we will remove the viruses, I mean program.." very interesting since their programs are also spyware. I can't believe they can keep advertising all over the net. And there's the woman who gets charged having never even visited their site. How many people have been screwed without knowing anyplace to report them? I don't think there's any skullduggery low enough that these people won't stoop to.

• Ca
      17th of Apr, 2009

I agree. These are desperate people trying to use their intelligence in an evil way. I am a Christian and am Praying that people get together and Totally STOP this scam

I have done a file search and deleted many of their files. When I want to get it off internet, I simply go to Windows Task Manager and close it from there after my computer is up and running.

I have called them, but when I called, all the information of my husbands was off ( credit cards ), because we had just changed internet companies. I just tried to download a Java update for on demand movies through Amazon and it turned session off.

Presently, I have Fiddler ( Internet Explorer Repair Software ) and it showed me cyberdefender bumped me off my session. How dare they. This is a break in my Constitutional Rights of Privacy. I DID NOT give them permission to do this.

I hope that people keep sending in their Honest Opinions of these people. Somewhere in all of this, there may be a Lawyer that gets their computer zapped AND BINGO, our Voices will get Heard.

Cathy

22nd of Apr, 2009

I just got this off of someone's system. Search for cyberdefender in the registry and remove whatever you find. then go to the user's home and search, including hidden folders, for cyberdefender. Remove the folder it lives in. Then preferrably do a registry cleanup. Finally, go to Add/Remove in the control panel and when you start an uninstall, you'll be told it is already gone and it will be removed from the list. This made a HUGE difference in regaining system performance, too!

• Ph
      29th of Jun, 2009

I dont have this program on my system and after reading these comments, I never will have it so they have already lost a customer. I have found that programs such as System Mechanic do a wonderful job of finding and removing files tha are left behind from programs such as Cyberdefender. Especially if you have removed the program but have unwanted files that are still present on your hard drive.

I would also consider going to every website that you can leave messages and be sure to give your dissaproval of the Cyberdefender program. Free speech is a great tool when dealing with ### such as these people...SO USE IT.

• La
      26th of Dec, 2009

A friend of mine's grown son has gotten this on his computer. He has special needs so the computer is one of his main forms of entertainment as he is not able to live a life like others his age. He doesn't fully understand about what to download or not to download so this is not the first time he has encountered such a problem. This time this may be one of the worst programs he has gotten on his computer as it just seems to still be there just when you think it's gone...WHAM, it's BACK! Shame on Cyberdefender for taking advantage of people and mucking with people's personal computers without permission!! MyIdentityDefender is a bogus piece of CRAP!

25th of May, 2010

On behalf of CyberDefender Corporation, we apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered with our products and services. We are dedicated to giving our customers an optimum experience, and would be happy to work with you to solve any difficulties with your refund. Please feel free to contact our corporate headquarters at 866-793-0454 or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com.

Cyberdefender/ My Identity Defender

19th of Jul, 2010

All CyberDefender products can be uninstalled using your Windows Control Panel and opening Add/Remove Programs.

First, you will want to exit out of Registry Cleaner or Early Detection Center by right-clicking on the red box in the top right-hand corner, or right-clicking on the icon in your lower right-hand toolbar.

Then, simply click

Add/Remove Products

to open the menu listing all currently installed programs on your computer. Locate any CyberDefender and/or MyIdentityDefender entries from the list and click the Uninstall option to remove the software. An uninstall wizard will walk you through the complete uninstall process.

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer after uninstalling to complete the process.

Alternatively, you can go to your Control Panel and open your computer's search function.

Do a search on the search term "CYBERDEFENDER"

Delete any files that come up.

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer to complete the process.

If the trial or paid software still does not uninstall, you will first need to make sure the program is completely closed. If the small icon is still there in the lower right corner, you will need to exit first (right click & select EXIT).

If there is no option to uninstall when the program asks why you want to uninstall, there is an issue with your DPI (dots per inch) settings.

To change DPI settings, right click anywhere on your desktop & select

Properties>
    Advanced>
    DPI setting

Your DPI settings should be on Normal, not Large. If you change it to normal, try uninstalling again. If you still don't see the uninstall option after changing your DPI setting, you may need to restart your computer for the DPI settings to take effect.

Once you’ve got the correct DPI setting in place, simply click

Add/Remove Products

to open the menu listing all currently installed programs on your computer. Locate CyberDefender and/or MyIdentityDefender entries from the list and click the Uninstall option to remove the software. An uninstall wizard will walk you through the complete uninstall process.

All Cyberdefender products are removable by the steps described -- I myself have installed and removed our product from any number of computers here in the office. However, if you are an Avast user this might still not work, as Avast is notably antagonistic to our program and may stop some of its scripts from running. This may be true of other antivirus software applications as well, so you may want to temporarily exit out of any other antivirus software running on your computer in order to remove our free trial.

The last resort I can suggest is to try to remove it in Safe Mode.

First, unplug your network cable.

Then turn off your computer and restart it.

Once your computer has come on, but before the Windows operating system logo appears, tap your F8 key repeatedly -- this will start your computer in Safe Mode.

Then make sure you have exited out of Early Detection Center by right-clicking on the red box in the top right-hand corner, or right-clicking on the red EDC icon in your lower right-hand toolbar.

Then, simply click

Add/Remove Products

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer and allow your Windows operating system to boot up normally after uninstalling to complete the process. Then re-connect your network cable, and you should be good to go.

If you have taken all of the above steps and still cannot remove this program, and it is not showing up on your Add/Remove Programs menu, you have probably mistaken a rogue antivirus program for our product.

You can find a list of the names of rogue antivirus programs here:

None of the listed programs are in any way affiliated with Cyberdefender.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our corporate headquarters at 866-793-0454 or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com.

CyberDefender Customer Service

19th of Jul, 2010

“Talked to tech from Cyberdefender last night about My Identity Defender on my computer and all the troubles it is causing. He said that it is a virus that has nothing to do with the company. I thought he was going to help me as he walked me through several steps and took over my computer and got into my files. After searching my files he said he found the virus and suggested several options such a Geek Squad that can fix the problem for several hundred dollars or they have a plan for a couple hundred dollars. I am very worried about what this company is up to and what is going to happen next.”

From joksaw’s description, it appears that he may have had a pre-existing virus, malware, or rogue antivirus infection on his computer when he called our customer service helpline. Seeing as how we are a computer security software company, customers calling us with computer infections is a VERY common occurrence, and our technicians assist with these situations sometimes multiple times an hour. Joksaw may not be aware that some viruses and rogue antiviruses are very complex forms of malware, and at this time there is NO antivirus software on the market that is capable of removing certain viruses, Trojans, rogue antiviruses, or computer worms on its own. A rogue antivirus in particular must be manually removed by a trained technician, or by means of a system restore.

Our computer security software can remove a great many viruses, and we add more fixes and patches to our database every day. However, if there is a pre-existing infection on the customer’s computer, it can be difficult for our antivirus software to work as intended, as some malware is actually sophisticated enough to try to block computer security software scripts from running and prevent its installation on an affected computer system.

CyberDefender will always assist a customer calling into our call center to activate their software at no charge. However, any customer wishing to utilize our technical support services beyond activation of his or her subscription is asking for much more involved service from our company than just support on a software subscription, especially if he or she calls in with a full-blown virus or rogue antivirus infection already existant on their computer. Our company offers both software and technical support packages for sale, and a software-only subscription does not include unlimited live support on any and all technical problems that arise after purchasing the subscription, or that pre-existed on the customer’s computer before s/he made the purchase.

There is no reason to be worried about a simple diagnosis of your system – we do those for customers every day, and they are an entirely routine procedure for us. We do not “get into anyone’s files” in an invasive manner – we perform a diagnostic scan of the customer’s computer to find out what viruses or malware are affecting its performance. This is rather like a doctor asking a patient to disrobe for an examination; it has nothing to do with invasion of privacy and everything to do with trying to help.

If you require any further assistance, we would be glad to help, but we cannot find your account based on just the online nickname “joksaw.” Please feel free to contact our corporate headquarters at 866-793-0454 or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com, and please be sure to give us your full name, date of purchase, and the email address you used when you made your purchase. We will be happy to assist you.