CyberDefender / spyware can't uninstall

1 CA, United States Review updated:

Now I'm getting nervous. I posted a comment and it's not here. Someone said they managed to get the program off their machine. I was stupid enough to buy the program hoping to keep my computer safe. I see my original complaint now so I'll cut to the chase as best I can. The program quits after 1-2 days. They offer a 30-day "no questions asked" guaranty. After 5 days, I called to cancel. I spent 1 1/2 hours trying to get a refund saying that I wasn't satisfied and that should be enough. No way. I told them the program had quit twice and they repaired it twice. That was all they were willing to do--repair it again--no refund. I had used the tech support part of the program to ask them to repair it twice. Their records show they helped me with viruses--nonsense---they put them on my machine. They kept me on the phone for 3 hours with nonsense technobabble while they did who-knows what to my computer during those supposed repairs. They finally agreed to a refund if they could do a system restore back to the point of purchase. All I know is the most blatant damge is repaired, that now I can download only occasionally, can't install plugins or anything else, can't listen to music, and they gave me back the Trojans they supposedly removed. Mainly I can visit websites and email. That's all.

They left a file on my computer. One day, I clicked uninstall and let the computer work on it for 3 hours. Then the Cyberdefender wizard popped up and unistalled the program.

A couple of days later, after cancelling, they claimed my account was still active and sent me instructions on how to repair it. Worse, they reinstalled not only the original file I spent 3 hours ridding myself of, but also a toolbar, without my authorization. I try every day to uninstall both, but the Cyberdefender Wizard arrives immediately and tells me the programs are uninstalled. The're still there. I got a new firewall and found that info about me was going through the firewall to cyberdefender. I call that spyware. I'm now waiting for the 3d promised refund.

My bank has always been good about helping me with this sort of problem, but they closed this case so fast it made my head spin. I posted a comment here because someone actually succeeded at uninstalling the program and I left my email address hoping he could tell me how, but it's gone. If he or anyone can help, my email address is metta.hansen@gmail.com. Make sure I see cyberdefender complaint board or I won't open the email. This company advertises everywhere, but Mozilla Firefox rates them yellow--caution. I say RUN! Don't even think about trying even their trial version. Read the posts of those who did. For the record, this is a sugar-coated version of what they put me through and it's not over yet.

Comments

• Tr
      4th of Mar, 2009

hansen@gmail.com is not my email address. It is at the end of my post.

18th of Mar, 2009

EVERYTHING THIS PERSON IS SAYING HAPPENED TO ME TO WITH CYBER DEFENDER .WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ? WHAT CAN WE DO?THIS IS NOT FAIR TO US THIS IS OUR MONEY THEY SHOULD GIVE IT BACK.THEY WERE NOT TOLD THEY COULD TAKE THIS MONEY OUT OF MY ACCOUNT.THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO B FREE YES IT WAS FREE ALRIGHT 450.40 AREN'T THERE SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP US. I CAN'T GET THEM OFF MY COMPUTER THEY CONTROL IT NOT ME. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO ME NEXT.

18th of Mar, 2009

Mary May--you have a problem. Read all the posts here on cyberdefender: they slipped with one person and said, "don't worry, we'll get our virus, I mean program, right on your system." It is malware, and my computer completely crashed--it's only 3 mos. old and pretty much ruined. Whatever virus they install seems to elude all detection and causes gradual continual degradation of your system.

If you install the comodo firewall in advanced mode (disable your firewall first), you'll see all your info going directly to cyberdefender--that's how I found out it was also spyware. As a beginner, I then put comodo in beginner's mode. This was just an eye-opener for me, it won't help you but cyberdefender gets really defensive when they find out you know that--no refund though. If you do that, it's just for your info: you can then go back to whatever firewall you use or just take my word for it.
    Most companies online won't do business with me because I changed my credit card number over this. Only cyberdefender and google had the original number, but it doesn't match the number that the companies (whose sites I have never clicked on) have for me. Definately do that if you haven't already, but I wonder if it's safe to use my new card with the few companies who don't buy personal info, since everything I do goes to cyberdefender. Someone else in this forum, who had never clicked on cyberdefender had money taken from her account.
    I clicked uninstall on the cyberdefender file and let it run for 3 hours, then the cyberdefender wizard uninstalled the program, but within 2 days, cyberdefender reinstalled it and another. They're even harder to remove. I have had to reload my operating system 3 times, but it is hopeless--my brand new computer is dust and I am out $200.00 to cyberdefender for nothing--I said they offered a 30-day satisfaction guaranty and after 5 days I was dissatisfied, so they rewrote their guaranty and backdated it to 2005. If you call for a refund, the abuse is really incredible. Any promise of a refund will not be kept. They've gone so far as to use fake names. Once you get involved with them, they refuse to allow you to stop being their customer even though you're getting nothing for your money.
    I still get their unwanted daily phishing alerts: I am unwilling to risk opening them.
    I am a beginner so take my advice on that basis: if it's not too late, you might be able to do a system restore to the date they installed the program. The other option is to reload your operating system, but since that was the last straw for my computer, I'm not sure it's a good idea. The file is gone, but my empty C drive thinks it's full: I can't do a system restore or download programs.
    Banks are supposed to help with issues like this: some do--I will be changing banks. I don't know what cyberdefender tells them, but it seems to convince them not to help. Try anyway.

20th of Mar, 2009

I contacted my bank again ie Cyberdefender. This time, I got results. I got an immediate and full credit. The banker started a conference call with me & Cyberdefender: it didn't help their case that they didn't respect her time and kept us on hold until she had to move on. Visa will now take the money from Cyberdefender and will also levy fines against them. Then Cyberdefender called me back with their favorite fallback offer: We'll give you all but $100.00 to cover the tech support we gave you. That isn't how a trial period works. Further, the tech support I got was stupidly signing up for their program, and calling them twice in 5 days to repair it. After 5 days, I tried to cancel. They called the repairs help with viruses. Get all the info you can together before you call the bank. And let them do most of the talking after you give them the facts. I also ran copies of all the complaints herein, should I need them. I didn't, but it seemed prudent.

I didn't do a clean install on my computer to get rid of the file, but because the first time they promised a refund, they put trojans back on my machine. My 3-month-old computer is pretty well shot, so it's a small victory.

DO NOT OPEN THEIR EMAILS! And it is vital to find a way to get that file off your system. If you read my previous post, you'll see that my success was short-lived. I wish you the best. I wish there was a way to report thieves like this--I believe installing malware and spyware is against internet rules.

• Fa
      31st of Dec, 2009

I agree wholeheartedly with everything already posted here I hope that someone can sue them and put them out of business that would make my day.

• Cy
      21st of Jan, 2010

CyberDefender Corporation would like to apologize for any difficulties you have encountered with our company. CyberDefender operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and we have technical support staff located all over the world. We recommend that you contact our headquarters office at 866-793-0454 during normal business hours in Pacific Standard Time. We will be happy to help you resolve any issues or problems you are having.

All CyberDefender products can be uninstalled using your Windows Control Panel and opening Add/Remove Programs. First, you will want to exit out of Early Detection Center by right-clicking on the red box in the top right-hand corner, or right-clicking on the red EDC icon in your lower right-hand toolbar.

Then, simply click

Start>
    Settings>
    Control Panel>
    Add/Remove Products

to open the menu listing all currently installed programs on your computer. Locate CyberDefender and/or MyIdentityDefender entries from the list and click the Uninstall option to remove the software. An uninstall wizard will walk you through the complete uninstall process.

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer after uninstalling to complete the process.

Alternatively, you can go to your Control Panel and open your computer's search function. Do a search on the search term "CYBERDEFENDER." Delete any files that come up.

VERY IMPORTANT: Restart your computer to complete the process.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further assistance.

• Rh
      9th of Feb, 2010

I'm working on a friends machine with Windows Vista on it. I have tried to remove Cyberdefender four times now using the unistall. The first time it went a way i had to go into safe mode to remove it. It reinstalled itself in a matter of minutes after the uninstall. After that I have tried both in safe mode and in reg mode to remove it and it will not go away. The unistall wizard comes up and says it is complete, but after reboot CD is still installed. By the way, does anyone know where the cyberdfender files are located in the folders?

5th of Jun, 2011

I do understand why people would trust CyberDefender.

There is very few details on there website on what this program actually does. To me it looks like a registry scanner.

Registry scanners are sometimes too "automated" in the way they removal left over registry entries and can cause system damage if registry data is improperly selected for removal by mistake.

The add/remove may still leave traces, it is the vendor that creates the uninstall program so they decide what gets removed from the system when its called.