Cyber-defender anti-spyware anti-virus / computer spyware scam

United States Review updated:
BEWARE OF CYBERDEFENDER!!! I fell for their "free" download... it showed a bunch of problems, which it wouldn't fix without more information. I made the mistake of giving them my info... the whole time, looking for a dollar amount that they would want. There was no dollar amount listed. I was considering buying the program if it was reasonable... but the only thing they mentioned was "free". So... in order to get rid of a lot of problems that they found in my computer... I went forward with the paperwork... as soon as it was done... the receipt said $79.!!! OH, NO!!! I got on the phone, right away... I talked to some guy who was just learning English... in India... he said "don't worry... I am going to take control of your computer and see what's going on"!!! I told him that I had 30 days to change my mind... and that I do not
want their program on my computer.. he gave me a phone number which never is answered... you get a recording that all of their people are busy... and to call later or go to the web for their support. We never did get to talk to anyone past that first call to India. I was pretty pissed by then... and sent them an email, saying they are sneaky and I have 30 days to change my mind, and I wanted my $$ in full! They sent one email saying to give them a chance, and that I did have 30 days... and they would also give me a gas card worth $40 (which I never received). Then, I emailed them for days and days... I only got an automated response saying they would respond within the next 72 hours... (that never happened!) I finally got one nasty email, saying "its true that you have 30 days... we will refund $14 to your account... but the other $14 for the cd was not refundable..." WHAT CD??? And.. it was $79, ... not $28!!! Past that... my husband spent 6 days trying to call them...on a long distance number... always, he got a recording to go to their support on the web and email them. Finally... (we felt so lucky that day!!!) He got a line where he was waiting for the next representative!!! It felt like progress, for a while.. until... we had time to think about the fact that it was long distance... he waited on hold for 2 hours and 30 minutes... finally, he hung up. Then we started looking, for other peoples experience with cyber defender... and found so many people with the same story... some of them were even worse! I am so glad that I never let them have control of my computer, like I have heard of other people trusting them like that... giving these crooks access to all their accounts and password info... THESE PEOPLE ARE FLAT OUT CROOKS! Don't fall for their scam.

A  29th of Jan, 2009 by
I am experiencing the exact same issues as Kat! If at all possible DO NOT use this company! I don't know what their deal is but to me it feels like a complete rip off!
A  4th of Feb, 2009 by
I am experiencing the same problems also on my first call I spoke to a Raul who could speak very little english and had to keep repeating myself he keep telling me it was not there program that was messing up my computer which there was nothing wrong with it till I downloaded and activated there antivirus and was told by him he would call me back in 10 minutes that 4 days ago 3days ago I called there support number and was told it would be a 30 minute wait which quickly turned in to an hour I finely hung up speaking to no one I emailed after that and requested a refund and still have heard nothing from after hearing it could be up 30 minutes wait on the phone and take upto 72 hours for an email reply I pretty much figured either they had a lot of tech problemes or it was a ripoff I tend to chose the later this point and recommend not purchasing this product from now on I will check on complaints about products before I purchase them Gyber-defender is defiinetly A RIPOFF!!!
A  27th of Feb, 2009 by
I've already posted twice because I was stupid enough to give them control of my keyboard. On top of what I already posted, after a 2+ hour argument, they said they would refund all but $100.00. They have installed 2 programs on my computer since I tried to cancel. I don't have my money, $299.98, or the program but I just got an email today suggesting I contact their support team to get help with the program. Meanwhile they obtain info from my computer and left it in much worse shape than when I got the program. If I can't get a refund, I want to see them out of business. They are crooks.
A  15th of Mar, 2009 by
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I would cause them some grief, organize a bombing of their phones and computers. Of course want to stay legal...of course very few laws on this and doubt they would call police as they sound like criminals!
D  17th of Mar, 2009 by