Customer Compensation Lottery / Scam

1 1722 Routh Street Suite 1500, Dallas, TX, United States Review updated:

I just received same check and letter yesterday on3/26/2012 in South Carolina, so they are still up to the scam. The letter said the check was from a Company called Customer Compensation Lottery, 500 Clinton Avenue, Bronx, NY 10455 but it was mailed from Canada and the letter was signed by Denton Morgan. the check was drawn on a real Bank called Amegy Bank out of Porter Texas. The bank will not tell you if the check is any good. Personally I think its one of the meanest things you could do people in such a hurting economy. It gets peoples hopes up but then they slowly come to their senses and realize "something is not adding up."

The elderly however may not figure it out so fast and that is sad. The check looks so real too. I took the check to my bank and they told me it was a scam and then I took it to a Kmart store manager because the story was, this was a lottery that Kmart, Sears, Lowes, Best Buy, Home Depo, JC Penny and so forth were doing and that out of 100, 000 people 20 people had won, 50, 500.00.

He looked at it and said they were "not" participating in any kind of lottery but also said that he had never seen one look so real before. He told me to take to the local newspaper. Seems likes these America businesses would have some legal recourse for them using their names or even implying their names in such an unethical scam.

Furthermore I agree with one of the posts I read on here ...I would like to know "why" and "how" are our American mailing addresses are getting into the hands of these foreign scamming parasites? But of course with technology it may easier than we realize. I think they are trying to target older people. I am 47 and just got my first pamphlet from the scooter store. Which I think is a little early. And I got my first letter from AARP, and now this scam! Just makes me wonder if they aren't somehow hacking into the websites or files of Businesses who target older people and somehow getting peoples addresses that way.

Furthermore, if they are crazy and mean enough to send this kind of stuff...what's next? I think we need to be very cautions in opening any mail anymore, especially from people or business we do not recognize.

Comments

• Je
      15th of Dec, 2011
    Customer Compensation Lottery - Fake
    Customer Compensation Lottery
    Tiffin
    Ohio
    Phone: 567-207-8914

I also received a check for $3500.00 claiming that I had won a consumer lottery and that this is part of my winnings which would total $50, 000.00. It is on a check that looks very legit..carries the Wells Fargo Bank on it and says that it is from the Southwest Independent School District. I am contacting the BBB on this, have also tried to call a Ray Martins at 1-647-829-7556, the number comes up busy, that just made me laugh.
    These scammers need to be caught. I am a single mom and to receive a check in the mail like this at Christmas time I do have to admit that part of me just wanted to cry for happiness because I thought "yes my children are going to have a great Christmas", then came back to reality. What horrible people to be doing this especially this time of year and how bad our economy is. Please don't get caught up in this scam.

• Dg
      6th of Apr, 2012

Go to 411.com and see what you can find free on the itnernet. Millions and million of folks. If you have a publihed phone number, they gotcha.

• Le
      11th of Apr, 2012

I've also been scammed by this C.C.L. bull crap. I to would like to know why they or how they got my maling address in name. Funny thing is I do remember going to walmart and filling out a slip for some drawing so I thought it was legit. Now to find out the name of the agen JERRY MONGOLY 1-647-818-7784 was lying the whole time good thing for me I recorded the calls at the time of speaking with this man, . I am a single mother, full time student and a hard worker. My bank has closed all my accounts with them. I am very pist off and don't know what to do no .. It is ashame and embarassing that Im going through this headache.

• Hu
      16th of Apr, 2012

I just received a check for $3, 500 also from "Customers Compensation Lottery" the letter is from Denton Morgan and drawn a check from Prosperity Bank in "Bronx, NY" they also say to call Jerry Mongoly but it is a different phone number 647-686-0065. I thought I remembered filling something out at Best Buy a while back so they almost got me. I just kept thinking that it seems to good to be true! I started googleing the Bank, I reverse checked the phone number using whitepages.com. There is no bank by that name anywhere in New York the phone number comes back as an unlisted landline. The check looks so real there is even a water mark on the back of the check just like the security features says there should be. I am also a single mother and I do not make much money at all. What these people are doing is evil! I put them in God's Hands and I pray that He will somehow pay these people back for all of the people they have hurt.

• Ly
      16th of Apr, 2012

I got the same letter, check and even some emails...I'm so ticked off at the links ppl would go to see others suffer. Sucks given the economy right now. Oh well life continues ...

• Kh
      27th of Apr, 2012

I got the same letter and check in the mail today. Check is from USBank. I have a USBank down the st from where I live, how convienant.
    I called the number, it was an Indian guy so maybe I was calling India, who knows, but the letter ddint look right, it didnt feel right, so after depositing it, then they want you to take $2500 out so once the check bounces the consumer will now owe the bank the $2, 500. I read these articles and now know its a scam. If it looks to good to be true, then it is. I tore my check up. Were all needing extra money now & days, but dont be gulible, check stuff out first.!!!

3rd of May, 2012

Thank You for your post. I too recieved a check in the amount of $3, 500 which was drawn on a US bank cashiers check. I have contacted a local Los Angeles branch and have already emailed the check and letter to the branch manager. Stay tuned!

3rd of May, 2012

I just spoke with a local branch manager of US Bank here in Los Angeles. He ran the numbers on the cashiers check and indeed it came back as a good check but a fraud. Please be protect yourself.

• Pd
      5th of May, 2012

Just got the same letter as mentioned above verbatim. Called The number for Jerry Mongoly 1-647-219-1099 to call him on his scam (that’s putting it politely) but no answer at that number. Perhaps he is shutting down his scam operation due to his cover being blown like this. Would like to know where to report this and if that will help. Thanks. For everyone: DON’T FORGET: IF IT’S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS!

• Wo
      24th of May, 2012

Just this week I received a check and letter from this same Customer Compensation Lottery. I was pretty sure it was a scam when I opened it and read it but the check looked so real that I decided to take it to my bank to deposit it and just see what happened. I gave them a copy of the letter and they too thought the check looked very real. It seems as though they have changed their address and phone number a bit. The address on my letter was 500 Washington Ave, New York NY. The agents name was Dan Usman phone #1-647-818-8178. When I called to talk to Dan, that was clearly not his birth given name if you get my drift. The name Dan is far to American to match up with the accent on the other end of the phone. Funny thing is, letter addressed from New York but postmarked from Canada and the check had an address of Nassau Bahamas.
    When I asked my bank where who I should report this to, they told me the BBB. It has been reported to them already and that was how she found out it was a scam when they researched it. I hope and pray that no one is taken advantage of this crime. And that this dirt bag is found and shut down for good. He needs to be behind bars and the key needs to be thrown away.

• Rm
      24th of May, 2012

Funny thing is that my ex-wife had one come to my house and I'm a single dad, yes I have custody... lol Anyway my daughter opened the letter and I took it from her so that I can give it to her mother next time they see her. So I read it, curious... and the check is written from the same bank name as the one my company has accounts with and we called our contact person at Suntrust bank here in FL, the account number is a real account and it had enough in the account to cash it, but they aren't allowed to tell you how much is actually in the account... I wonder if they can get scammed by the people that get these letters/checks and have these people not make the call and just go to a local bank that the check is drawn from, walk in, have the check cashed and pay the fee the bank charges to cash checks without an account...! Wonder if that would work...!

• Tm
      2nd of Jun, 2012

I just received a check in the mail for $3750.00 dated 5/25/2012. The letter that came with the check has the same verbage. The letter claims I won some drawing at WAL-MART, SEARS, LOWES, HOME-DEPOT, STAPLES, IKEA etc. Now I know for a fact I didnt fill out anything so I know this is a scam. The crazy thing is the check looks sooooo REAL! Has the watermark and all!!! Here is all of the check info: The letter was signed by Doris Mantell /The address is 500 Washington Avenue New York, NY 11220 / Phone# 647-219-3137 / The check is signed by Jennifer Fisher / The bank name on the check is ColeTayloy Bank, Yorktown in Chicago, IL (whichi is no where near me in PA) / The company name on the check is Mid-Sate Supple division of Yellow Thunder corp in Wautoma, Wisconisin. I just want to warn other people. I know times are hard, but don't be tempted to ruin your banking relationship by depositing these phony checks!!!

• Mo
      4th of Jun, 2012

I received the same letter and check as everyone else here has. I'm always skeptical of any form of letter inquiring me I've 'won' something, but this letter and check had even me thinking "Well maybe I really did win something. I always fill out whatever is necessary for any contests I come across!". I even started to get excited thinking I would be able to go back to school while living on the money. I also am a single Mother of 4 and have been unemployed. Again, it was the check and the lack of information for the scam to be a scam that made me think there was a 'possibility' it was real. Once I returned home I got online and all I had to do was type in Customer Compensation Lottery, and immediately I knew it was a scam. :O(. My letter was also postmarked from Canada, the address CCL was under was 500 Washington Avenue, NY 11220, and the check is from a Royal Bank located in PA. I was also advised to call the same number starting with 1-647... It's really all the exact same information EVERYONE here has received, but they appear to be changing banks, and their address by the smallest amount. As well as their number by just a few digits. All the names of who you should call seem to be a man by the name of Dan or Jerry. Mine is a Dan Usman. I was 'awarded the same amount - $3750.00 - and told to use $2500 to "pay the taxes I would owe on the $50, 500.00 I would be winning altogether". I was instructed to "forward the $2500 to the address provided" in the letter. After I googled CCL, so many links appeared, under them saying words such as scam, and as soon as I read everyone's story that was exactly the same as mine. It's unfortunate, but these days there are hundreds of thousands of scams going around. We must do the work ourselves and check to make sure any check we receive via mail is the real deal. I personally have never received any money through the mail that I wasn't already aware of and waiting for. So as someone else noted - if it seems to good to be true, it probably is! I so very much it weren't in this case! Good luck to all of you.

• Je
      5th of Jun, 2012

well i got this thing today and immediately thought of going to walmart. then i called and talked to a Mr Dan, who spoke with an accent the number is listed as coming from Canada that is 1.6478188178, for the same 3750.00 and wanted me to post to my checking account then call him back to get further instruction to pay the taxes, then he would send check for the rest of my winnings of 50.500.00 right...like the government would not immediately notify me of what my taxes would be on this winning because they would want to know where i got this money. i'm laughing because i almost fell for this and cashed it... the truth is each address on the check is incorrect, from the company that is paying out the money to the bank that handles the pay-out to my own personal address on the check then the envelop address is correct. it took two calls to get a person on line . that's when i knew it was fake.

11th of Jun, 2012

hey guys i have one right now drawn on bank of america and seriously i thought my problems are over for the, moment. yes the story resembles all them youve posted and looks like its the same guy behind the scam. the check looks so genuine but he wants me to send him 2400 dollars from the check as some tax amount. here is the deal the check could actually be drawn from a real account through forgery and the second you send this guy his money youll be left dealing with the law. my advise would be dont even take it to the bank it could have life long consequenses. still have the check and the letter with me incase somebody wants to confirm. johnson kiurire. acworth ga.

• La
      11th of Jun, 2012

Hello. I just received one of the letters stating I won 50, 500.00 with a check of 3, 700 Of which is to be deposited. What a scam if I ever did see one! I half to be honest, for a second I was like yes. The letter came from customers compensation lottery with the address being 500 Washington ave New York, NY 11220 signed letter by Doris Mantell also a phone number to call MR Danny Usman... The check came from WTG Logistics, Inc. just a little info for anyone out there who has received the same letter.

• Nv
      12th of Jun, 2012

got mine today. pretty obvious it was fake...just by the nature of it, the letter coming from canada and having a return address of walmart on the envelope. The letter was pretty poorly written for something of that nature, semicolon after ATT (for attention) instead of a colon, and their names like danny usman, doris mantell, the check coming from some faurecia emissions control tech company and so on. I do easily see how people are falling for it though, especially elderly. Another thing I noticed was no expiration on the check. usually they put a valid for 90 days or a year or something. Well, now I've given them enough info to make changes to their scam so it can look even more real. Ha.

• Tr
      12th of Jun, 2012

Just got the scam letter today in Colorado. Who in the heck would send this out? Same info, Danny Usman, Doris Mantell, don't believe this one folks!

• Rg
      13th of Jun, 2012

I just received my check today. I thought the good lord had answered my prayers as my transmission is gone out and need to have a refurbished. Look again, and something just really didnt feel right. tried to call he number to see what they said, and because I have a straigt talk phone, I couldnt make the call. The lights go on and I fire up my computer and behold... the same story by lots of people who are only looking for some relief from the turmor in their lives and these sick people are trying to take what little money we have and put us into a worse money crisis!!! I have called the papers and tv and I am letting them know what is going on and begging them to pass this on to other papers/ tv stations across this great nation and see who can bring this person down... I just pray we all get to hear the boom as they fall, and the clank as the door of justice close behind them... GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND I PRAY THAT WE WILL ALL HAVE A REAL GOOD FORTUNE COME INTO EACH OF OUR LIVES!!!

• 38
      7th of Aug, 2012

I just received on in the mail today. My envelope had walmart on it with a PO Boc from Orangeville Ontario. The check amount is $2, 550 with a company name of Global Logitics and Transportation. It is drawn on Illinois National Bank in Springfield, IL. I knew it was a scam when I opened it. I knew I could get more info if I googled it and holy mackerel did I get great info from you guys. Thanks confirms it all.

• Bl
      11th of Aug, 2012

I received one today, based out of NY, but Hornell. but what really is a red flag, is the check itself. It is written on Global Logistics and Transportation. Hold the check up to the light, you won't find a mark like real checks... I really hate JUNK mail... Scam no information going out from here... there is NY, IL, and Canada, for one check? $2, 500.00 would be grand... grand theft!!! Don't try it, it will cost you everything... TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE...

• Td
      12th of Aug, 2012

I received mine in the mail yesterday. The letter I got said similar things to the rest. With the exception that its from a different address in New York and the Bank is very well known Hunington National Bank. That's what really made me think it was real. My family banks there. But like others I got on the computer and researched the companies. The check is from a cleaning supplies distributors in Ohio called Betco Corporation Ltd in Toledo, Ohio. RED FLAG #1!!! Why would a company from New York issue me a $2500 check from a company in Ohio...They're changing the phone numbers and names as well. The address is 550 Webb Ave, Hornell NY 14850 from Ray Mantell and Doreen Hawkins. Almost got me.

18th of Aug, 2012

I just got one in the mail today too. CCL - 550 Webb Avenue - Hornell, NY. I have filled out serveys for WalMart and thought it could be real. And then I jumped on good old "Google" to see what this was all about. Betco Corp LTD was on the check. Along with Huntington National Bank. And on the letter the names were Ray Mantell and Doreen Hawkins. The envelope was post marked in Canada and in the return address field was RBC Royal Bank. And this check looks SO real!! They almost got me as well!!! I hate the thought of people doing this to others...makes me SICK!!! I could REALLY use this money that the letter and check promised. I am a stay at home mother of 2 and a part time student. I could make that money go a very long way!!
    I REALLY hope that no one has fallen for this!!!

• Pr
      24th of Aug, 2012

I just received the same letter and check on 08/23/2012. I called Mr. Mantell and he gave me the same speech about depositing the check and then calling him back. The question I have for everyone is why hasn't anyone contacted a lawyer about the situation?

• Mm
      24th of Aug, 2012

I am contacting a lawyer... trouble is these letters come from many different places and notice the stories... then the return address is different from the address in the letter which is completely different than the address of the company the check comes from... this guy is mixing things up too much to follow we all just need to keep reporting it. I have noticed that "MR. RAY MANTELL" is my contact agent on my letter but the Promotion manager is Doreen Hawkins... but if you look at the signature of Doreen Hawkins it doesn't say Doreen Hawkins... the signature isn't very legible but you can clearly see where the person signing brings the pen back to cross T but there are no L's in the name... and the first name looks (again by the way the pen would write) to start with a letter D... not an R... so between the 2 names given the signature is clearly a 3rd name... (also differing from the one on the check.)

• Ed
      25th of Aug, 2012

Iike all of you i received a letter about some winnings these people really think we are some stupid Americans to fall for this scam they have been trying to get me for 2 years now the first had some mistakes but this one is looking so real i thought it was so so so real but after further investigation you have so many different addresses like the check have been traveling (from Canada or the u.k.) so please smart Americans don't fall for this scam.

• Na
      27th of Aug, 2012

I just got a letter from C.C.L stating i had won a winning of $22, 500.00. I received a check for $2500.00. So i call Mr Mantell and he told me $1500.00 would have to be paid to the government and i was to deposit the check and to call him back and he would give me details on how to received the rest of my winnings. I asked him if this was a scam and He said "no ma'am i have been working for this company for over 7years. He couldn't tell me anything else so right then i was not to comfortable going to deposit any check. I will be contacting a attorney regarding this.

• Ex
      31st of Aug, 2012

just got the same letter tonight, right when i got excited about it. I thought ya i better lokk it up on google cause it seem to good to be true. Damn people need to get a life and quit harrassing people.. Thats so freakin rude.. well karma comes around in all diffrent ways, they:ll get whats coming to therm..

• Io
      23rd of Sep, 2012

I have just received the same check ($2, 550.00) from CCL-550 Webb Ave- Hornel, NY. I called my daughter-in-law and she suggested I go online to check it out. All I got was letter after letter, telling me that my suspicions were right. IT'S A SCAM!!! My letter also mentions legitimate companies like Walmart, Ikea, JCPenney, Walgreens, etc., etc., etc., My letter was basically the same as the others, just different names and numbers. When I tried calling the number, I got a recording that the customer I was calling was not available, please try your call later. I was almost on my way to the bank, the check was so real. I am also a retired, part-time student on a fixed income and can't really afford this in my life. It would have been nice, if it was real. To all out there, especially senior citizens, don't rush to the bank, the consequences aren't worth it.

• Gj
      13th of Oct, 2012

Oct 13, 2012
    i was out of town a few days, so happy too be home except for the full mailbox, got the letter yesterday, i am always careful of
    these kind of things. it is sad we have so many evil people in the world, my husband passed away May 26, just 5 months
    ago. . i pray no one fall for this scam
    gjsandland

• Bo
      21st of Oct, 2012
    Customer Compensation Lottery - fake checks
    Customers Compensation Lottery
    Illinois

I read several complaints on your website which told me this check is not any good that I received. It appears in the letter I received with this check of $2, 550.00 they are wanting my bank information to send me the remaining balance. The used the Wells Fargo Bank and the stores used were Best-Buy, Wal-Mart, Sears, Lowes, Home-Depot, Zellers, Staples, Ikea, Master Card, AMEX, CVS, JC Penney, Walgreens & K-Mart. According to the letter I was one of 50 winners in this drawing. I also love the name they used for me to contact. Mr. Ted USMANDELL. That even looks fake. It is too bad they can't appear to be stopped. I just wish I knew how they got my address.

• Ro
      21st of Oct, 2012

Oct 21, 2012
    Way up in Lancaster, California.
    So thankful for the heads-up on this one, don't fall for it. The checks do look real. Watermark and all. What gave it away for me was the "Please do not use this check before calling the agent" part. HA.

• Ta
      22nd of Oct, 2012

Well, they're still at it! Just got mine today--and, YES--the check looks SO REAL--I had to inquire too. That's why I typed in "Customers Compensation Lottery", in google... and, NOT to my surprise--there were all the scams! 550 Web Ave. Hornell NY is the address... and, the contact person is--MR. TED USMANDELL (very similar to one of the names above)... and, the # is 289-892-2606. The person who signed of on the letter is--Doreen Hawkins, also listed above. The check amount is $2550.00--and, the total winnings were listed as $22, 500. I pretty much knew from the beginning that it was a scam--I mean, come on... who just gives away money like that??? LOL--though I WILL admit... something in me was HOPING that it could actually be true! hehe Oh well... back to the REAL WORLD----------------struggle! Good luck everyone... :)

• Te
      10th of Apr, 2013

Well, its April 9, 2013 and just got the same kind of check in the mail for $2500! Taking it to the police in the morning!! I want these crooks caught!!