Custom Machine Shop, Inc. / Fraud and cheating

1 436 S. Krome Ave.Homestead, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 305-242-5057

Last year (June 29, 2007) I took my 2005 Trophy Walkaround to a local marine dealer, because earlier in the day when I was out on the water, the alarm sounded on the engine (Mercury 150hp Saltwater Optimax). I immediately shut the engine down to prevent any damage. When the mechanic checked the engine out, he discovered a small crack in the power head, which meant the engine needed to be rebuilt. I checked on the internet and found Custom Machine Shop. They are anything but custom more common.

When I spoke to the rep on the phone, he explained that a COMPLETE rebuild would cost no more than $3, 450 plus shipping, and turnaround time would be about 10 days. I was thrilled!!! That price was better that anyone locally, even including the shipping charges. So I made arrangements with the marine dealer where my boat was located to have them remove the engine and ship it to Custom Machine Shop in Florida. That's where the pleasantness stopped.

After about two weeks, I hadn't heard anything from them so I called. I was told the mechanic assigned to my engine was not there, but would return my call. He never did. So the following day, I called again. He informed me that the engine had just arrived, and it would take 10 days, as he had said previously. Again after the 10 day period past, I called to inquire about the status of my engine, and was now told that it needed a new crankshaft, 2 cylinder rods, and an injector replaced.

Suspicious about the additional charges, I called the dealer that checked out the engine, and he indicated there was no damage to the crankshaft.

Anyway, to make a long story short, it ended up costing me over $6, 000 to get my engine repaired and they did not ship it back until near the end of the season (August 29th). The summer was almost over, and they had RIPPED ME OFF. I promised not to let them get away with it. So, I've alerted everyone I can about them. Military retirees, members of the American Legion, Boat U.S. members, Masonic members and Shriners.

I filed a complaint with the Attorney General's Office of Florida, but to no avail. Thanks https://www.complaintsboard.com for this opportunity to out these bums.

Va

Comments

• Pi
      14th of Jul, 2008

Not uncommon to find additional damage during rebuild. Website seems clear about what is covered for quoted $3450 rebuild price. If your dealer did a teardown and could certify no damage to crank- then you should have pursued a fraud claim. Otherwise, you are merely speculating about what you call overcharging.

• Sc
      21st of Jul, 2008

CUSTOM MACHINE SHOP INC. IN HOMESTEAD FL, 436 KROME AVE HAVE BASICALLY SCREWED US TO, THIS COMPANY AND ITS OWNER AND WORKERS ARE NOT PROFESSIONALS AND SHOULD NOT BE IN BUSINESS!!! HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BE VICTIMS OF THIS COMPANY BEFORE SOMETHING IS DONE ABOUT IT ? I FEEL FOR YOU!!! THESE PEOPLE ARE JUST PLAIN RUTHLESS AND DISHONEST AND I PLAN ON TELLING EVERYONE ABOUT THEM AND THE WAY THEY CON INNOCENT PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO COMPLY WITH THEM IF THEY WANT THERE BOAT BACK . DONT BE A VICTIM DONT USE CUSTOM MACHINE SHOP INC. IN HOMESTEAD FL 436 KROME AVE PHONE NUMBER 305-242-5057 TELL EVERYONE!!!

• Ne
      24th of Jun, 2009

I agree, Tom at custom machine shop Inc. was so happy to have my buisness. He was very fast at getting a freight truck to my door here in Washington state. Then it all started. First it was the crank, it was another $600 for that and 4 weeks later and many unanswered phone calls later it was finally done and on the way.
    The first 6 hrs of idleing was good, the very first time I took it up to 3200rpm the 95 evinrude 150 looked as if it were gonna burn to the bottom of the lake. Turns out it is the regulator/rectifier. I call Tom, he says " we dont cover electrical but i will see if we have a used one around for you" after a couple weeks again and no phone call, I go buy it myself.
    Second trip to lake... get it on plane and runs very rough at all rpms but idle. after doing some research I find a washer has been left under the flywheel and damaged the magnets on the flywheel and the stator wires were cut. Which explains why I only had spark on 4 out of 6 cylinders and why the regulator went out. That was in march, it is now june 24 2009 and that promise of "we will find you a used one since it is our fault and our warranty doesnt cover electrical"
    I still have no part nor a boat that will run and I cant even get ANYONE to answer the phone.
    Bottom line, they want your money but dont want to make anything right for the customer. THEY SUCK!!
    www.completeoutboardengineoverhaul.com is there website. Dont go to it!

• Ri
      6th of Jun, 2010

It is 6/6/2010
    Custom Machine Shop is the most RIP OFF boat motor repair shop in the business.
    My boat has been repaired ( LOL ) by them 4 times. It never last for more then 2 times out and sometimes during the breaking in time, my boat breaks down. Every time its been fixed by these clowns in mechanics clothing it never stands up to their repairs. Their word that " every things alrght now " are nothing but lies.
    This will make 5 times for me. Their shabby machanics is putting a bad word out for boat repair shops every where.
    In two years these clowns haven't been able to fix anything and at the cost of $6, 000.00, something or someone should step in and close these jokers down.
    It started out the same way with me. First it was going to be $3, 500.00, and it ended up being $6, 000.00 It will cost me another $1, 500 to correct all the mistakes Mercury found in their crapy, B.S. machanics.
    THESE ARE NOT BOAT MECHANICS, BUT THEIFS AND CON - ARTEST THAT HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE AS TO WHAT A BOAT MOTOR IS ALL ABOUT.
    I am so disscused. They came and picked up my boat and dropped it off the first time but after that I was on my own. It is 140 miles round trip from my house to their shop and never once did they offered to compensate me for their failer to properly repair my motor. They wouldn't extend their gauranty on my contract, even though my boat was at their shop 80% of the time from the first 2 years of my first repair. For as long as they had my boat it was like if it was theirs.
    They take forever to get back to you. Forget about repairing your boat on time. THATS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN WITH THESE LIERS.
    Well here we go again. They aren't answering their phone ( which is par for the course with them ) and their number has been disconnected.
    I, along with everbody else, should THANK GOD they aren't answering.
    I know I will be out $6, 000.00 so I hope from the bottom of my heart that this post will help some poor soul from committing the same mistake of going with C.M. Shop for any boat repairs of any kind.
    STAY AWAY FROM THEM. THEY ARE A CANCER TO FAIR REPAIR SHOPS ANY WHERE.

14th of Jul, 2010

I repair 2 motors with them and after 80 hours of fishing one engine gave up on me and when I called them, they were very professional and my engine was pick up by them in Naples Florida and repair at no charge and it now been 8 months and both motors have been running 100%.
    For those out there Custom Machine Shop is and it always been a responsible company and for those of you reading those negative comments remember there is always 2 sides to a story.

14th of Jul, 2010

I have repaired and also recommended my friends to Custom Machine shop in Homestead and I have never heard of any bad issues with this company and I been dealing with them for 15 years

14th of Jul, 2010

This negative comments are probebly the work of a competitor that's trying to steal there work and it's most likely that CROOK BIG JIM from North Florida.
    Custom Machine Shop was a good company that has always stood behind there work. I have a boat rental business in Key West Fl and they allways took care of me so I tell of you that this company had been in business since 1996 (14 years) and there is a reason for that, and in my book was good service. If they were so bad it would never had lasted so long.

21st of Oct, 2010

Any info on this company - still open or not?? My motor was repaired by them (3.0L V6 Mariner 225 EFI) and seems to run well. I'm now 2 years on rebuild with no problems really, but would like to know if they are still in biz in case I need warranty work.

I will say- during the rebuild they emailed a pic of a burned crank, and said a needed a new one. I said "Fine, just send me the old one with my rebuild since it can't be used for anything." Never showed up. Kind of wonder how many times they sold that same crank?! Just speculating tho-

I guess in the future I would use Kenny Simon in CA, or someone local.