Curves / the gym with the ghetto ethic

1 NY, United States Review updated:

This is a letter I sent to the company because of strange practices I'd encountered..anyone out there with similar experiences? I was so shocked because it seemed (here's to advertising) so open and friendly...not.

Hi. I have been to two places here in brooklyn, one on Norman Avenue and one on Grand ave, in attempts to try out the club and see if it worked for me and a friend. I don't know if it's because I'm in shape (that's honestly the impression I was feeling) that they seem to discourage me at all from joining or if it's some sort of "secret society" but they weren't at all interested in trying to work with me. What is this about?
I called ahead on the second one just to ask and make sure it wasn't as shadey as the first and it seemed nice enough when the lady on the phone said if I came in she would give me a free week pass. I asked if there was a good time and she just said they were closed from 1-3 and then I asked when they were closed and she said 8. So I showed up at seven and told the girl at the counter (apparently a different person) that my friend was running late but I could go ahead and she started in with talking about how I needed a certain amount of time to do everything (45 min...I had an hour, by the way) and throwing various other excuses my way as to why I couldn't do it then (this had happened in pretty much the same way at the first club as well). She apparently wasn't interested in keeping my business. Is this common with your clubs? My friend and I really were looking forward to this kind of workout as we liked the first time we tried it and just wanted a period of time to see if it worked for us in our schedules. However, it seems like none of your clubs have a work - or even business - ethic. I don't want to waste my time on bad employees or shabby business and I generally report directly to consumers' unions when meeting with bad business practices, as I don't want other people to have to endure stupidity either, but I wanted to check with the corporation first to see if these were simply uncompliant clubs (they are franchises). Please feel free to write at your leisure, as I will wait a few days before reporting to my normal consumer agencies. Thank you.

Honestly what's up? These people act so strange like they're selling drugs behind the scenes or something...why discourage people from paying for your business?

He

Comments

• He
      27th of Mar, 2008

• Se
      28th of Apr, 2009

You weren't fat, that was the problem.

They don't want someone who is obviously going to keep a regular shedule. They want large women who they can get to sign a year long contract and then they work these women so hard on the equipment that they lose interest in the club (but still pay their monthly fees, cuz they signed a contract!)

For some reason, a high percentage of very large women that sign up at gyms will stop going after a few hard sessions. Curves has noticed this and therefore built a business model around it (GETTING PAID OFF CONTRACTS, NOT FOR ACTUAL WORK).

• Pr
      27th of Jun, 2009

I'm very in shape and I've been attending curves in Reno, NV for the past 2 years. The club I patron has a mix of skinny and larger woman, some in shape and some not so in shape. Never have I once seen my club employees turn away or treat a woman badly because she was fit. It didn't happen to me when I joined, nor any of my friends and family members who attend different clubs throughout the country. I also have a sister who works at another Curves here in Nevada.

I think you either are making this complaint up for some strange reason or you simply imagined this stuff. Here's why: when a Curves employee signs up a new costumer, they earn quite a big commission. Something like 10-20 percent. That's quite a lot of money and I do not know about you, but I wouldn't turn anyone away if there was cash to made. Secondly, if you arrived one hour before they closed and she felt that there wasn't enough time to get you started, then that is why she turned you away. I know, for me, it took a good hour and a half to sign all of my papers, fill out health information, get weighed and measured and complete the full circuit. And I had to make an appointment to sign up. The Curves employees also cannot be the only person there when doing a sign up because there has to be another employee to tend to the other patrons. So, if she was alone, that is probably another reason she couldn't sign you up at the moment.

You sound like a very spoiled and entitled girl/woman. You also sound very young and immature. I'd be willing to bet that the employees asked you to make an appointment but you wanted them to serve right away. Well, that isn't how life or the club works. You are not anymore deserving than anyone else. If you really want to join, get over yourself, grow up, and call to make an appointment!

As for secreter, you are completely incorrect! Curves employees get bonuses for every pound a costumer they sign up loses. And when you do not show up for a week, they start calling you and telling you to come work out. Educate yourself.

• Cu
      15th of Jul, 2009

I own a Curves in Columbia Maryland. Our club is open to ALL women. My club has a very diverse membership. We have young and old alike as well as those who are working on their weight and fitness goals and those who have met their goals and are now working to maintain. We are here to help all women.
    My club truly lives up to the Curves reputation!! I work hard to make sure of that. Everyone is greeted with a smile and we are always ready to go the extra mile for the members as well as potential members.
    Always look for Curves clubs that are "shining Star" clubs like mine. These are premier clubs that adhere to the highest standards.

• Be
      13th of Jun, 2011

heya the curves franchise doesnb't care because they are a franchise so its not there problem..thats the attitude that has been exhibited to me...