Cumberland Home School Academy / Home schooling online

Cumberland Home School Academy goes by other names also. Phoenix Sunrise Institute, Phoenix Sunrise Academy and hometutorhelp.com

All of these are associated. We signed our 14 year old grandson up with them for online homeschooling. We paid upfront for the program by credit card.

The program was supposed to be available for him to start on Sept. 5th, 2007. After going through several weeks of online evaluations, it is now November 14th and he still has not been able to start the course work. They say there is a problem and they can not put new students into the scheduling portion of the program due to a computer glich. We have tried to be patient and work with them while "fixing" the problem. This has gone on for weeks!!

Now, we see that they are still recruiting on their website at half off the regular price.

So, if you look into using them, I would not. They are only somewhat good at letting us know what is going on and we do not get regular updates while they "work" on the problem. We have sort of been "left out to dry".

At this point I would not recommend getting involved with any of these companies.

Comments

Ka
  18th of Nov, 2007

I was here to complain about something else, but noticed this post. My three children use the Cumberland program. Over the last several years, we have tried several different "online schools" and they were all a waste of money. In fact, none was actually online. These people at the Cumberland school made sure we had what we needed and went out of their way to help with things they didn't have to. In fact, when my husband was in an accident and we had problems making our payment, they let my daughter go for free for several months. The assessments are what we wanted in the first place, and the kids like the lessons. I don't know what kind of problem you are really having with this school, but if you didn't like it, why didn't you just get your money back and go somewhere else?

Ta
  26th of Nov, 2007

I have had the EXACT same problems with Cumberland Homeschool Academy. Today was the last straw for me. This has gone on to long. I had to send an email threatening legal action. I am sure I will get not response, (or a refund), as is very common with them. Voice mail is full and no responses!!!! Stay away from this school!!! Oh and as far as getting a refund, they won't ISSUE a refund.

Je
  12th of Dec, 2007

I also researched home schools as I had never done it before. I decided on Cumberland for my two children. I too paid by credit card. This was in September. It is now December and 1 child is receiving lessons (as of last week) but it is a totally different program than I had been promised. There are no tests and no progress reports. My younger child still has no "classes". I have left numerous voice mails and sent numerous emails... of course, no response. I paid $900 for 2 children and I see they are offering their "classes" for $160 per child now. I have also threatened to involve my lawyer and still no response! Someone on this posting suggested cancelling and getting a refund. That's great if you could get a response from them. And... if I do get a response and a refund, where do my children go for school then. They are already 3 months behind their friends and have planned on going back to school next year! They are also involved in sports and need progress reports to go to their coaches to remain eligible for the programs. If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it! I would also encourage others to stay far away from this "supposed" school. It's nothing but a headache and a nightmare!

Ha
  14th of Jan, 2008

I am having the same difficuties! My 13 year old son had taken his assessment testing, but that was it. It has been 6 weeks and no word or school lessons.

St
  22nd of Jan, 2008

I signed all three of my kids up. They did so many assesements it was ridiculous, they become so bored and frustrated. Still no work was available for them. Very angry and tired of waiting ,I ask them to sign them up with a program called time for learning. The signed my children up as promised and gave them credit cards that are no good. So now my children are again with no work. Do not use Phonix Sunrise Academy , run away as fast as you can. Time for Learning is a great on line school, especially for lower level children.

Do
  14th of Apr, 2008

Went through never ending assements with both of my children. Never recieved any school work as promised. Emailed about getting refund (was emailed back it would be about a week) That was January. Finally talked with Mark "Full of it" Wadley, and was told he would mail the refund (that was in February). It is now April, I have been advised to talk with the Attorney General about interstate fraud. I cannot believe how much they have ignored and lied to us.

Be
  29th of Jul, 2008

My daughter has actually completed most of her course work, but we can't get a link for her final exams, and can't get progress reports. She will be in 12th grade and I need transcripts of her grades to register her somewhere else next year (since I can't get any response from the school staff). I printed out copies of all her tests so I actually have all of her grades here, but nothing from them that makes it official. I would like to hear any suggestions anyone might have to offer about getting transcripts. My phone calls and emails have been left unanswered.

An
  21st of Aug, 2008

THIS SCHOOL SUCKS THEY MAKE IT SO HARD FOR OUR KIDS. I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH TRANSCRIPTS FRO MY KIDS. I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN. THEY ARE A FAKE. I HAVE EMAILED AND THEY LIE EVERYTIME. NOW ALL THEIR ADDRESSES HAVE SEEMED TO DISAPPEAR. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVISE FOR ME. I REALLY DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE SCHOOLS WILL DO ABOUT ALLOWING MY KIDS BACK INTO SCHOOLS. THANKS

Ji
  22nd of Aug, 2008

We have been through all the same with these crooks. I hope people will find all this information before they spend any money with Cumberland or any of their aliases.

We did get our money back but only due to the fact that we had paid by credit card and I had an email statment from "Don" saying that he would eventually issue a credit. I got tired of waiting and requested it from my card company and they issued the credit.

However, since my grandson completed the alternate program they put him into, he was able to be accepted to a private school. The problem is since we had no transcripts and could not get them, he is having to repeat the the entire ninth grade and we did not find out about this until the first day of school. I had copies of all his tests from McGraw-Hill, but the private school would not accept those as a substitute for a transcript.

So, screw you Cumberland, Sunrise Academy or whatever your new name is this week. And, "Don",
you are goimg to burn in a very hot spot for eternity for what you have done to all these kids!!,

Jo
  14th of Oct, 2008

This is the exact same experience we had with Cumberland, I have called to resolve this no less than 200 times never getting an answer. DON answered the phone on accident 4 weeks ago and promised to resolve this and give back my $900.00 he said he would call me back in the next couple of days. And that was the last I heard from them. They never answer emails or the phone; my girls fell behind in school last year because of this mess and are working so hard to catch up this year. I just want my $ back but I won't hold my breath.

Dl
  19th of Feb, 2009

I can't say how thankful I am for everyone that came here and spent the time to make these posts. I am removing my son from public school this week and hope to begin homeschooling next week. I am SCARED TO DEATH! I was just about to sign up for Cumberland and found this board as well as several others just like it. We have researched several different programs, this one, A.C.E., as well as Abeka. Can anyone tell me what they use. I like the A.C.E. technique of the PACEs, where you start exactly where you need to be in each subject based on Assessment testing. I would love to hear feedback if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks for saving us the trouble, we certainly won't be going with Cumberland.

Dorothy

Ci
  7th of Jan, 2010

I have had the exact same problem. I am now a year behind for graduation. I am on COVA (they are wonderful) try them! but I am not repeating courses and catching up to graduate a year later. Has anyone received refunds or contact from the school?

Ci
  7th of Jan, 2010

Does anyone have Cumberlands phone number still?