C.TIRE /YARDWORKS / 24V CORDLESS LAWN MOWER BATTERY MODEL [protected]

1 Toronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

Purchased a Canadian Tire YARDWORKS 24 V cordless lawn mower May 04 2007. Worked well last summer. Stored over the winter as per instructions on page five of owners manual ie. Store fully charged for not more than 6 months with the average temperature below 10 c. This spring lawn mower would not take a full charge and would not hold a charge making it impossible to cut the lawn in one session. Took the top off the mower only to find that one of the two 12 volt cells is distorted in appearance, the other one is fine. I called Yardworks toll free help line only to be told that I had improperly stored the mower and the damage to the battery was my fault. A replacement would cost $120.00. The battery actually needs to be charged every two weeks during the winter according to the Yardworks help line.
I spoke to an individual who works for a battery company located within the GTA and he indicated that proper storage for the battery was exactly as I had done. Store fully charged in an unheated storage shed
at winter temperatures in my area.

CONCLUSION : YARDWORKS is using poor quality batteries in their products which subsequently have a high failure rate. This is not an uncommon problem. I have experienced it with automotive batteries as well BUT the difference is this the automotive battery supplier stood behind their product and replaced it.
YARDWORKS DOESN'T STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS. THEIR PRODUCTS ARE CHEAPER BECAUSE THEY ARE CHEAPLY BUILT. DO NOT BUY YARDWORKS PRODUCTS!!!

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...WITH YARDWORKS YOU GET GRIEF !!!

Ki
Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• Bl
      10th of Jul, 2009

Same problem here, and have 2 batteries. Proper storage during winter, and no charge in either of them. CT and Yardworks inform me that there is nothing they can do for me as I have owned them 2 years...and batteries only have a 1 year warranty.
    Did I mention, my local CT has no replacement ones in stock, haven't since April, and claim they are back ordered until September...What a joke!!!
    Wonder how long it will take me to mow my lawn with my Black and Decker rechargeable whippersnipper...which, by the way, has lasted me 4 years now!!

• Ho
      5th of Aug, 2009

Has anyone thought of submitting a law suit against Canadian Tire and Yardworks for selling an obviously inferior product? A class action suit was successfully leveled against Apple computers some years back for knowingly selling faulty power adapters. Anyone who owned the product had it replaced at no extra cost. Or better yet those bringing back a dead mower would receive some form of monetary compensation. Just a thought.

I also heard that one can replace the faulty battery with a better quality one (which of course Canadian Tire does not carry). I am in the hunt for such a beast here in the Ottawa area.

Richard

• St
      16th of Aug, 2009

I have got exactly the same problem with the one I bought in Sept 2007. I thought the concept was fantastic but I guest I was wrong, very wrong. Cut the grass twice with it, stored it for the winter and the next spring it was dead. Complaint to the store they gave me a battery and the charger of a lawn mower still in the box, it last a season, again the following spring it was dead. Now this piece of mower crap that I paid almost $400.00 is seating in the basement and I can’t do anything about it.

• Mi
      31st of May, 2011

brought two years ago, battery died after first use, still in summer, when I take it back to 64ave store, the manager told me I need to take the mower back to get the battery exchanged. After I took the mower back, he changed his idea, and tell me it must be damaged by leave the battery outdoor in the winter. (I'm a electronic engineer and have always kept all my battery in my basement workshop). I told him I kept my battery and mower separately, but he still refuse to believe. I never buy anything from that store again.

I took the mower to another CT store, this time they replaced the battery for me, but a USED one! I ask them why, they told me, it's not possible to open a new mower to give me a new battery, and the used one is almost "new"

the "new" battery died this year, I have used it for 3 times. so this $300 junk mower has a life span of 6 hours. and I need to pay $10 to dump it in the landfill.

• Do
      28th of Oct, 2008

As per you're comment on

at winter temperatures in my area.

The battery is a Lead Acid battery and with that needs to be charged more oftin then once every 6 months or it will deplete itself. I have had my unit for well over 2 years now, and follow the charges through the winter perfect and have had no problems. If you did not charge you're battery through the winter season that will cause damage.

• Cr
      20th of May, 2009

Same thing in Halifax; stored as directed, unable to use this year. Is anyone getting any satisfaction out of C Tire or Yardworks? I hate to just throw it out and buy a gas machine.

2nd of Jun, 2009

Wow... at least I'm not alone. Ugh, that doesn't make it any better.

I bought one of these pieces of junk in May 2007. It was a refurb model at Crappy Tire and it cut my lawn exactly once before dying. I brought it in to the store and they sent it to a local guy for repair. A month later I picked it up and managed to cut my lawn maaaaybe two times. Then the same thing... battery wouldn't hold a charge for more than 2 minutes.

I took this refurb unit back in to Crappy Tire and spoke a manager. He agreed that the refurb unit was a lemon and allowed me to pay the difference in price for a brand new unit. Yay! This one worked for the rest of the season, which was maybe 2 cuts.

Next spring (2008) same old problem. Of course I had stored it as per the manual instructions which, given what I've read above, are wrong. I risked yet another hernia chucking the machine in the back of my jeep. Off for another local repair, I got it back last summer. Shockingly, exact same problem. 2 cuts and done.

Frustrated, I kinda gave up and ignored it until now. I just got back from yet another visit to Crappy Tire to see what could be done. The "customer service" guy was totally clueless and some guy in a suit wandered over. He explained to me that these batteries are "expected to fail after 1 year" and that I should buy a new battery as part of routine maintenance. To make me feel better he also said that this was to make up for the fact that I didn't have to pay for oil or gas. I laughed at him and said it was a joke that Crappy Tire keeps selling these units. He agreed which wasn't really much help.

So now I'm stuck. I have this useless behemoth sitting in my garage yet again. I don't want to waste $150 on another battery knowing that it will die in a few months time. And I can't justify selling it to anyone knowing what I know. Unless I can sell it to a Crappy Tire rep in a suit. That I'd be ok with.

• Ti
      25th of Aug, 2008

Have the exact same problem as you. Stored properly over winter and dead in the spring. When I needed it too. Brought to Canadian Tire only to be told that I had to deal with Yardworks support. Called several times, and never got a phone call back. So was forced to buy a replacement battery for $100 !!! CRAZY !!! So after about 3 months of use it began to have less and less of a charge till now it is dead. AGAIN!!! NO WINTER. The batteries suck. Wonder if I can replace batteries in casing myself??? Any suggestions?

Please note that the replacement battery container is very generic and you can easily swap your bad battery with the newly purchased replacement battery and return to Canadian Tire. If you want.

• Bo
      26th of Aug, 2008

I am currently going through the same issue...although I haven't contacted YARDWORKS yet as I am just now discovering that I am not going crazy but that it is an issue with the lawn mower.

• Da
      5th of Oct, 2008

Purchased my 24v Yard Works May 2006. Got 2 full summers out of the battery before it died in the spring 2008. I purchased a replacement battery in May 2008 from Canadian Tire for $100.00.
    This battery lasted until the end of August when it also would not fully charge. The battery would show all 3 green lights on that indicated it was fully charged and then as soon as I started using it in the mover the battery would be completely drained in less than a minute. This has eneded my experiment with a cordless mover.

• Pi
      1st of Sep, 2008

Same issue, purchased one in May 2007 at CT Kirkland Quebec, stored properly over the winter in my heated garage and now will not hold a charge beyond a few minutes.

• Mj
      13th of Sep, 2008

Same problem I had. Yardworks sucks!

• Ge
      13th of Sep, 2008

Bought a 24V 60-l767-6 cordless lawn mower in May 2007, battery never held charge properly. Was told we were doing it wrong. Stored lawn mower according to instructions over winter of 07-08 . When tried to use mower in spring of 08, battery never worked at all. Canadian Tire order new one for us because they no longer sell them. Waited 7 weeks, got battery but it was the wrong one, so they had to send it back. Waited another few weeks, got fed up and called yardworks direct. Had right battery four days later, but had to pay 126.00 for it as it was no longer under warrenty after all this hassle. Went to use lawn mower today Sept/o8 and front wheels fell off. Husband says he is throwing it out and not ever buying yardworks again. Everyone is right YARDWORK PRODUCTS STINK.

• Li
      9th of Oct, 2011

I just received a Yardworks Mower with ded batteries and charger. three reasons ;
    1- The previous owner moved
    2- The charger wasn't working
    3- Both batteries were drained to 0.14 and 0.00 volts.
    Fixes:
    1- Can't do anything about someone moving

2- The idiot who designed the charger made two mistakes;
    a- (S)He installed a temperature fuse inside the chargers transformer. When it gets to the trip point, ... rendering it useless because of a 2 cent piece that should not be there in the first palce. If it needs a fuse, put one in where it can easily be accesed.
    b- A fan was not designed into it. a fan, even a small one will prevent it from overheating.

3- Lead Acid Batterys regardless if they are flooded(car battery) or gel, or any other composition, when they become depleated, THEY M U S T BE RECHARGED I M M E D I A T L Y.
    THEY DO NOT LIKE BEING LEFT IN A DISCHARGED OR PARTIALLY DISCHARGED STATE.
    reread that sentance again until you see it in your sleep.

The chemical reaction during discharging(usage) creates sulfates. These sulfates attatch themselves to the plates in the battery and crystalize, increasing the resistance, and decreasing the capacity. A fully discharged 12v battery is 10.50 volts, when its fully charged its 13.6- 13.8v. Anywhere outside that range and your doing nothing but damaging the battery. The sulfation can be removed, but it is time consuming, and depending where you get the desulfators, can be a bit expensive.

4- The operators manual is nothing but a guidline. They know nothing about lead batterys. When you put your mower to bed for the winter, bring it inside out of the cold. Leave the charger connected and plugged in ALL winter. Not just for short top-ups. As soon as the charger is disconnected the battery(s) start to discharge all on their own, causing the aforementioned sulfation.
    lead acid batterys also do not work well in the cold, like us humans neither do we, in general.

The easiest way to prevent sulfation and premature battery death is to simply keep them on their charger when ever your not using the machine. this way it will be fully charged and ready to go when you are.

Rob
    Ottawa Canada

• Te
      10th of May, 2009

Had the same problem... even on the second battery! Did what the instructions said, charged it every two weeks over the winter. Used it for the first time last week and it wouldn't even make it through half of my front yard ( which is very small! ) These rechargable lawn mowers suck! The first one I had was a black & decker and it sucked too. From now on... sorry about the environment. I think I'll have to get a noisy gas guzzler so I can at least do my whole lawn in one day.

• Ya
      11th of May, 2009

I bought a yard works mower last summer I bought the battery in the house to store over winter and charge it on a regular basis.I took it out last week to cut my grass and I only got to do one strip then it died.I was truly very disapppointed in this mover.I am a single woman I thought this mower would be great no gas or oil, no electric cord to run over but it sure did let me down.

• Hu
      23rd of May, 2009

This mower was recalled in 2003 due to fire hazard caused by battery connection design. Look up the CBC.ca Marketplace article. Of course CTC kept selling them anyway until they were out of stock. I know since I bought one also.

• Ne
      29th of May, 2009

I have the same problem, battery will not hold a charge. Mower is two years old. Does this mean you have to buy a $ 120.00 battery every two years.

I bought a reel mower and will use it, tired of problems with gas and electric. Probably be saying the same thing with the reel mower next summer.

• Da
      2nd of Jun, 2009

Fully agree - ### support! Bought the 14" mower in 2007...by midyear 2008 the battery would only last for half a front lawn...Canadian Tire here swapped me the battery from their floor model (which seemed to charge but never had a green light - only amber or red).

Now this battery is dead and neither CTire nor Yardworks will supply a battery under warranty. Want me to buy one at $120. Half the price of the mower when they put it on sale!

At this rate, buying a battery a year, and disposing of the old, I would be more enviromentally friendly running a sorely out of tune diesel powered mower!

Very unhappy with quality, and support. Will remember the name YardWorks as a "to be avoided atall cost" brand.

5th of Jun, 2009

Worst support from Yardworks and CT. Got a run around from the store to the call center of yardworks.