Crunch Fitness / steal people's money

Crunch Fitness
144 West 38th Street
New York, Ne 10018 US
www.crunch.com

I was a member of crunch fitness for 6 months in 2006. I cancelled my membership due to a medical condition, providing the requisite doctor's note, as requested by crunch on 12-22-06. Or at least I thought I cancelled.

Crunch's billing department apparently didn't get the memo. In May of 2007 Crunch began debiting the amount of monthly membership dues from my account despite the fact that I was NO LONGER A MEMBER. This went on from May until July of 2007. Finally, and thank god, I lost my wallet. Therefore changing my debit card # so crunch couldn't take anymore of my hard earned money.

Upon realization of the fact that they were stealing money from my bank account, I attempted to contact both the AGT Crunch Acquisition LLC based out of chicago to rectify this and also reached out to the local crunch. Quite a frustrating experience.

It was like deja vu every time I called the national group out of Chicago. I explained my situation and how I had cancelled long ago and they owed ME money but somehow I never received calls back, nor did I get my money back--at this point, over $200.

The local crunch assistant manager must have been the one to finally get me some relief. I threatened to go to the BBB, https://www.complaintsboard.com AND file a complaint with the consumer division of the NY AG's office as well as go to the local media...that finally got his attention.

Crunch finally credited my bank account the money they owed me BUT THEY FREAKIN STARTED SENDING BILLS AND COLLECTIONS NOTICES AGAIN!!!

My hell has started again and I'm going on a blitz until this is over and done and they stop trying to steal people's hard earned cash.

Va

Comments

27th of Oct, 2007

I had the same experience with crunch - they are terrible - they stole 2000 dollars from me and double billed me, despite canceling and hours waiting on hold to speak with someone and 10 letters.

30th of Jan, 2008

I've been a member of Crunch since it began here in Fort Green, Brooklyn. Each time I enter the facility, I'm harassed by the front desk worker. I keep to myself as much as possible, in and out of the gym, and this ### has been spreading rumors of my personal hygiene. I wear a hat, I've many hats, and due to my full set of hair, it's more manageable/hygenic, for ME to keep the hair in my cap.

Well, I guess I might have ignored her by mistake once, and she's ever-since made it a rule to defame me in a hush-hush capacity. I've had my coat stolen in this Fort Green, Brooklyn facility and never made a big stink about it. Just informed the front desk of the theft and they of course denied any responsibility.

I wanted to threaten cancelling my membership, but it seem's most people I spoke to are doing a mass-cancellation of thier memberships there. They don't seem to mind that a client has a complaint about being harrassed at a gym that posits "NO JUDGEMENTS".

• Li
      23rd of Feb, 2009

I worked for Crunch, in Atlanta, from 2000 to 2003. I worked at 3 different locations there, as I was climbing the management ladder. I get so frustrated with the people who claim that they've followed proper cancellation procedures (when they really haven't) and then, in turn, claim that the company is "stealing" their money. I've been in the gym industry for 16 years, and from what I saw during my 3 years with them, their business practices are sound and ethical. If people really follow proper cancellation procedures, which consist of sending, through certified mail of course for proof, the necessary documents showing proof of a medical condition or having relocated the necessary amount of miles from the gym they joined, then why in the world can't they provide sufficient proof whenever situations arise where the Crunch home office has record of documents ever having been sent? Why? Because they never were in the 1st place, or they were the proper documentation that was required and asked for. The #1 reason people try to cancel their memberships (at any cost or by falsifying documents) is because they are not going to the gym like they should. Instead of getting their butts in gear and actually following though with the comittment they've made (and it's just that, no different than a cell phone agreement or lease on an apartment) they expect the gym to just make an exception for them and cancel their membership, without them providing the proper documents. And then, when the gym/company holds the person accountable to what they signed or says "no, we didn't receive those documents" b/c that person never really sent them, then all of sudden the gym/company is called unethical or thieves! Wow, it just makes me sick how all these people want to point the finger at everyone other than themselves. I'm still in the business, working in another state and for another reputable company, and I still see the same crap every day. Grow up people and take responsibility for your actions.
    And to the lady the hat issues; ma'am, that's life. People talk about people b/c we're all screwed up and fall short in God's eyes. I'm sure you're guilty of it as well at some point in your life. Don't blame the company b/c of one person's childish actions. If you have an issue with that person, you could do the grown up thing and ask to speak with them in private and try to resolve it. If that doesn't get it done, then you would speak to that employees manager.

• Av
      28th of Feb, 2012

I told Crunch when I signed up that I was moving at the end of the year and only wanted a membership until then. I pre-paid my membership for the 9months I expected to use the club. When I moved I started getting collections calls. The first time they called I told them that I had just paid for a 9month membership and didn't owe them any money. They claimed I had to fill out paperwork to cancel my membership and that I owed them money for the three months I hadn't paid them after I moved away. I told them to sort themselves out and stop calling me. They've had collections people calling me at work almost daily ever since.

• Cr
      21st of Dec, 2013

Why is it so difficult to cancel my membership? I signed up online I should be able to cancel online. If I wanted to make time to walk into the gym I wouldn't have signed up online in the first place. Everything is so easy to pay. Thanks CRUNCH! I will stick to your CRUNCH videos. Never again will I pay for your gym here on Howe in Sacramento.

• Ks
      25th of Nov, 2014

I've been a member since when Crunch first opened in Elk Grove location. I had the Base Plus membership which allows me to use the equipments and take the classes. After about a year I decided to upgrade my membership to Peak because I wanted to try out the tanning booth and hydro massage. They charge $20 fee for upgrade by the way plus the monthly $20. After few months of paying $20 and did not use the tanning or hydro massage, I downgraded back to my base membership, paid another $20 fee. Then I took few months off due to death in family, I continued to pay even though I wasn't going but that was not the problem I had. The problem is when I came back to take the classes, I was told I could not take the classes because i have the base membership. I was like, WHAT? I've been taking the classes with the base membership before the upgrade and after the downgrade and there wasn't any problem. They said because I downgraded my membership, it went back to BASE instead of BASE PLUS. And they no longer offer the BASE PLUS, only BASE and PEAK. This is RIDICULOUS! BASE and BASE PLUS, it's still $9.95. It should have reverted back to whatever I started with. Nobody told me that I would loose the classes when I downgraded. And when did this new policy became effect without any notification? What a RIPOFF! Canceling my membership ASAP!

• Ar
      26th of Jun, 2015

Same with me, I told them my last month is December, the people at the desk told me that they will cancel it for good. Then this year they started calling me March saying that I have past dues!!!

• Jj
      3rd of Dec, 2015

People should be able to change their minds if they want. If you sign up for something that doesn't have a contract (cause they tell you when you sign up "Oh you can cancel anytime". But they don't really mean that. I do not sign up with anyone for life. No company is that special. When I say I'm done. Cancel per my request and let me get on with my life. It is so easy for them to grab your money but they want you to go through hoops to stop stealing from you. BS

• Ca
      9th of Jun, 2016

To the gym employee: No, it is not like a cell phone or rental agreement, in those instances you continue to use the product or service that you entered the agreement for. If I used the gym and didn't want to pay that is a different conversation. This is people who no longer use the gyms services or products and rightfully do not want to pay for something they are not getting.

• Do
      14th of Aug, 2018
    Crunch Fitness - False Advertising
    Seminole
    crunch.com

Signed up in DECEMBER to the Seminole Florida Location and was told they would be open in April. Here it is almost August and still excuse after excuse...

• Fo
      14th of Aug, 2018

The local Crunch here in Jurupa Valley Ca is exactly the same, overcharged, difficult to cancel, almost impossible to get a refund. The manager Bruce is rarely there or unavailable. I too am canceling my debit card to end this nonsense. Their front desk people are very poorly trained...……….it's true though, you get what you pay for.

15th of Aug, 2018
    Crunch Fitness - Staff Member of Tysons Crunch Fitness Gym
    Vienna
    Virginia

Aubrey Scott, salesperson at Tysons Corner Crunch, rudest employee I've ever encountered--did a one day free trial membership and told him I was not interested because I wanted a sauna. He said "Good luck paying 'double' the price then!" rolling his eyes!He sent 3 more emails "5" VOICEMAILS the next two weeks! PLEASE FIRE THIS GUY! Very RUDE!

• Ni
      15th of Aug, 2018

Note that libraplaya23, the gym employee defending Crunch, IS exactly what you will encounter in most gyms. No matter how friendly they might seem, this is what most gym employees think of the customers. They consider their deceptive sales pitches to be "ethical" and they will never, ever, cancel your account when you request it, as a sign of good faith and because they view you as a human. In general, gyms and their employees are coached to hold the customer in contempt. In their eyes, it's ok to say you are locked into a 12 month contract even if your contract actually states that your obligation is month to month. It's ok for them to smile and say you can cancel anytime.

Ordinary people start memberships with the good faith assumption that if it doesn't work out for them for some reason (and yes, there ARE more important things than the gym) they have the option to cancel by simply telling a manager and letting them know they do not want any further charges to their account. No one is willingly handing over indefinite access to their bank account with the knowledge that they will have to jump through a lot of hoops and still likely lose money if they want to stop before a year is up. The assumption is that they are paying for regular services (in this case, access to the gym, and possibly personal training) and that if they can not, for whatever reason, make use of those services that any reputable company will stop charging them.

The problem is that these are NOT reputable or ethical companies. They can and will hold your account and your money hostage, simply because they can. They feel entitled to take your money, to lie to you, to flake out on scheduled personal training appointments, cut a half-hour session short by 10 minutes or spend most of it walking away to do other things, randomly change the time/date without your knowledge or consent and make it difficult to impossible to communicate with them to schedule a make-up session -- as poor "training" as they can get away with, and charge you for them anyway. Some of them really don't care and probably WANT you to stop coming in because then they can keep taking your money without even having to work for it. It's basically free money for them.

Libraplaya23 is right about one thing -- do read the contract carefully. If they rush you through that process (by helpfully summarizing each section so you THINK you know what it says), read it very, very carefully when you get home. By state law in most states, you have at least 3 business days to cancel without penalty. And you might well want to cancel when you see how deceptive their explanation was, and how truly terrible these contracts are for the clients.

If you take the risk of signing on anyway, ESPECIALLY for personal training, go to the trouble of getting a letter ready in advance, to which you can add the date and any necessary info, revoking authorization for any and all future debits your account(s). And expect to lose at least 2 payments, because if you have to cancel unexpectedly they will still debit your account for any future appointments scheduled within *at least* 10 more business days (so, 2, and possibly 3 sessions if you're signed on for PT). And sometimes they STILL don't stop. At that point, you have to open a dispute with your bank/credit card company. Keep the documents on hand so your bank will refund your money.

Beware that this is exactly the type of people and organizations you are dealing with. And if you do get burned, definitely share your experience - maybe it will help other people avoid getting swindled.

20th of Aug, 2018
    Crunch Fitness - I cancelled my membership and I am still being billed.
    FORT MYERS
    Florida

I cancelled my membership and the local gym keep charging mu credit card and refuse to give me a refund.

• Sh
    Crunch Fitness - Unethical Behavior
    Lancaster
    California
    crunch.com

I purchased the $360 personal training package and then decided that was not what I needed. I was promised a refund over a month ago and it has not been processed. The manager won't take my calls and the corporate number has no option to speak with someone. It seems that the only recourse is taking a legal route. What a shame.

Crunch Fitness - music?

what is crunch policy on playing loud RAP on the speakers?

• Iy
    Crunch Fitness - unauthorized credit card charges
    Parkland
    crunch.com

this place is horrible! someone used my card online to sign up, I've been trying to handle it with Crunch for MONTHS! they are still charging! STAY AWAY! The manager WILL NOT HELP me! Insane!
    Crunch Fitness, Parkland, FL

• Ju
      21st of Aug, 2018
    Crunch Fitness - No complaint, just a suggestion

I would really like to workout at Crunch, but it is a little ways from my home. There is a La Fitness closing down close to where I live and I think a Crunch Fitness would go great there. Please consider. The location is 1000 Easton road, Wyncote Pa 19095...

• Mm
      3rd of Sep, 2018
    Crunch Fitness - Gym
    Granada Hills
    California

This gym has racist staff and have been seen harassing many of their members simply because of their Race. Daniel was extremely rude to the customers.

• Js
      6th of Sep, 2018
    Crunch Fitness - Gym Membership
    Dunwoody
    Georgia

Membership is a total scam! They lure you in, only to pull a bait & switch. Cheap monthly membership, ($10-$20) but trainers are [censored], and cancelling is nearly impossible! I've tried cancelling for the last 4 months, to no avail. Even changed c.c., but they managed to bypass that. This place reminds me of the Hotel California! Buyer beware!