Cruises-N-More / lack of customer service

United States Review updated:

I had requested a quote for a cruise on the Holland America Cruise Line through several companies using a website called cruisecompete.com. Cruises-n-more had the best rate, and also offered a shipboard credit on each cabin, which seemed great. I called the agent, Mary, to request more information and ask about the deposit for each person. She was able to offer me a reduced security deposit of $100 per person, and quoted me rates for inside and balcony cabins. I was arranging this cruise for a total of 10 people with a possibility of several more.

After booking my cabin, a friend of mine called to book his cabin yesterday. He unfortunately forgot to get the cruise identification number from me, but knew my name and exactly what the cruise was and when it left. Mary was unable to locate the cruise number and told him he would have to call back in the morning. He called back later in the evening with the cruise number, but was placed on hold for over half an hour and no one ever picked up.

When he tried to book today, he was told that the rate jumped to over 600 more per person and that the reduced deposit was no longer available and that he would need to put down $350 per person now. Obviously, this was not something that was discussed the previous day with me or my friend, so we were understandably upset. When I spoke to Mary's supervisor, Tiffany, she said that there was nothing she could do about the deposit and that the possible jump in deposit was fully disclosed on the original quote. This may be true, but because I was dealing with Mary on the phone to arrange the cruise, I would have expected her to disclose that the deposit would jump if all cabins were not booked by yesterday.

So, I ended up canceling my cabin (won't get my deposit back for 2 weeks) and now I have to search all over again for a new cruise. The original date we had wanted are now all booked, so we now have to arrange a different date. Mary and Tiffany were both completely unapologetic for dropping the ball, and have left a very sour taste in my mouth. Do not do business with this company!!!

Comments

Mi
  3rd of Jun, 2007
I booked a cruise through Cruises-N-More and received a "final payment received" confirmation number and e-mail. I then registered on-line through the cruise website. I thought everything was in order. Today, I called the cruise line and they said that my cruise was "auto cancelled" because my credit card was declined by Cruises-N-More. I called my bank and confirmed that no charges had ever been declined on my card.

No one contacted me from Cruises-N-More. The TA Eric had my e-mail and phone number. I doubt if he ever booked my reservation in the first place. His excuse when I called earlier was that he was sick, but he would work on it over the weekend.

Due to their error, I didn't have a reservation for the cruise even though I had a receipt confirming final payment was received and confirmed.

Luckily, the cruiseline was able to rebook my cruise and flight with only a slight fee increase.

Cruises-N-More really dropped the ball.
Ti
  30th of Jun, 2008
i would like to hear from anyone who has canceled with cruises-n-more.com - and if they were charged fees after being assured that "no additional fees would be accessed"...
Br
  2nd of Jul, 2008
We've used Cruises-n-more and they were wonderful.
Sc
  14th of Jul, 2008
Cruises-n-more has been nothing short of remarkable with the three cruise vacations they have helped me plan. One such vacation included 13 guest and their representative was very helpful in placing all reservations. I would highly recommend this company.
Ma
  20th of Aug, 2008
Cruises-N-More provided bottom-line service. They didn´t answer e-mails, until finally they tried to tell mee the rate they had quoted was not longer available. I strongsy suspect they were giving me an unexisting low rate just to hook me up, to sell me a more expensive cruise. If the rate was correct but had changed - well, who´s to blame, when the agent doesn´t reply for several days? My contact with a supervisor wasn´t very uplifting. She told med the agent was reprimended - I don´t care about that, I expected some kind of compensation to sort out the problem. But there was no willingness to do anything. An unhappy customer apperently doesn´t mean anything to this agency. There are som many travel agents on the Internet - no need to use this lousy one!
Bo
  27th of Aug, 2008
I used Cruises-n-More from Florida for my cruise to Alaska this June... I'm in the destination travel business in Hawaii and I give Cruises-n-More a superb service rating.
To research my initial options, I used a cruise bid website, some of the agents that replied were not knowledgeable enough to sell me. Steven from Cruises-n-more was fabulous from the get go! Not only did he get the lowest price, he patiently guided me through all my options and got me a fabulous deal. As you can imagine, I have lots of questions and need lots of service, Steven was a real pro! I will book again for sure, as well as recommend this agency to friends and family... Note that there is another company in the midwest with a similar name; the company I am referencing is based in Florida.
Dr
  8th of Nov, 2008
I am so sorry to hear that this individual had problems with Cruises-n-More. My wife and I have had them help plan about 12 of our 18 cruises and nearly 5 cruises for each of our sons and their wives without any problems.

We always buy the extra cruise insurance, and that helps with potential problems. On one trip - our plane had problems - so we called the emergency number given to us. We were told that IF we missed our flight that they had us on standby to fly to Puerto Rico and had a hotel room on standby in order to catch the ship at it's first stop...

It turns out that we barely made it for the sailing. we were met at the gate by staff - had someone help pull luggage for us - were the ONLY ones on a large bus that sped us to the port and had someone take our tickets as we went up the escalator to have the doors of the ship almost hit us in the behind as we got on board.

Perhaps we will find problems on some future cruise - right now - I have to say that Cruises-n-More has provided us the best service possible. We have particulatly been impressed with our agent (LOIS) and how hard she has worked to get us exactly the accomonations in the price ranges we look for. AND - for the record, she has booked cruises for a number of our friends as well.

So - to the person(s) who wrote this review - I feel badly for them and wish them better luck on their next trip. However - in fairness to cruises and more - we think they are GREAT!!!

Sincerely,

Dr. Michael Lockett
Ge
  29th of Oct, 2009
I agree, cruises-n-more is a terrible company and I would never do business with them again!

They are nothing but a "bait and switch" company. They lure you in with extremely low rates and then when you get your invoice its hundreds of dollars more then you agreed upon. When you try to complain all you get is voice mail and no one will return your calls. Then when you've had enough and want to cancel your socked with a $75.00 cancellation fee on top of their $29.00 customer service fee (what a joke). I hope someone will file a class action lawsuit against this company.
Ge
  29th of Oct, 2009
Dr. Lockett,

I'm glad you had good service from cruises n more, but I think your the rare exception.
Bi
  10th of Sep, 2011
I have also used Cruises N More multiple times with no problems whatsoever.

I am sorry Meredith did not know that price quotes are time sensitive. This is always the case, but I suppose a new cruiser might not realize that prices invariably change as staterooms become less available. Little a TA can do about it.
Ch
  3rd of Dec, 2011
In my opinion Cruises-N-More is a legitimate cruise retailer. I do not believe they are a "bait and switch operation" as someone commented on this board. It is my understanding that they are a very large seller of cruises and that they do a very good job. It is my understanding that they also have very good pricing on the cruise they sell.

Cruises-N-More Logo Cruises-N-More