Cross Country Van Lines / i will tell all my friends and family

1 East Rutherford, NJ, United States Review updated:

So i booked cc van lines about a month ago for my move to la (Cali) in november and they gave me a reasonable quote but i wanted to shop around to make sure i was getting a good price. so i did, and all these moving companies were giving me really good, cheap prices so i was trying to decide which one to go with and i got an email from cross country and i called them to double check my price because they say they meet or beat any quote so they did and i had to move up my move date to middle of april so i can start my summer session courses in may and they were very acommodating and i just got my stuff and im content and proud that i made a great decision. i dont know if i will move out of cali but if i do i will be sure to call cross country van lines. ps- the even do the quotes over email if you want which i thought was pretty cool.

Comments

• Je
      Apr 21, 2009
    Cross Country Van Lines - great move!
    cross country van lines

I am so satisfied with the services from cross country van lines. I was so nervous for my move from ny to florida because i had so many valuable goods but they assured me a good move and i got a GREAT move. i will use them again in 5 years when i move back to new york! thank you cross country!

• Me
      Jul 25, 2009
    Cross Country Van Lines - NIGHTMARE MOVE
    Cross Country Van LInes
    New Jersey

I moved from NJ to AZ. I had a 1.5 BR Apt. I got a lot of estimates, and went with AMerican Van Lines as they came recommended. UNFORTUNATELY, they subcontracted to Cross Country Van Lines. My oridginal estimeat of 2100$ went to 2600$, then to 3200$. That's before the weigh. And once your stuff is in teh truck, they own your ###. I got a call that the cost would now be 4500$ after the weigh. I was insane and complained to both companies with no answer but that if I didn't pay, no stuff would be delivered.
    Then comes teh good part. After three weeks, still no things. I call teh company. They have lost the truck and driver. Then I get a call from a cell phone, that teh amount due is $5500. I said NO WAY I AM GETTING A LAWYER. Guy hangs up and disappears. I went through both companies only to find out that moves are insured for 10 cents on teh dollar and you cannot claim at all for 120 days. Well, two weeks later I get a call, guy says "I am at your door with your things", it was late at night. And I wanted my things. So I paid them before they got away. Things were damaged and ripped. The movers hid most of the damage by placing things in certain ways. They also had repacked things in boxes for a net cost of 900$. Bottom line, avoid Cross Country and be very careful of teh bigger companies subcontracting, as you lose total control. Load of sh--.

• Ih

East Rutherford NJ 07073
    New Jersey
    Phone: Toll-free: 800-650-8780
    ccvllc.com

Found this company through Nationwide Movers in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. These guys were nice enough and did a thorough binding contract, and they guys at Cross Country are nice on the phone, and then you SIGN! CAUTION!!! DO NOT SIGN!!! You will end up calling a dozen times to try and find the location of your possessions, and nail them down to the "Real" delivery date, and then even when your item are delivered damaged, or with items missing, the drivers will not leave until you pay in full. In reality, they are demanding payment, and if items are missing, they have not fullfilled their side of the contract and you should not have to pay, but the drivers follow you and hound you. Especially if you are a woman. And furthermore, you will NEVER see the missing items again, (and you aren't going to get that $50.00 per day late payment either!!!) even though empty promises will be made.

I have secured a lawyer, she has sent letters, made phone calls, and these guys have "settled" and promised to send a check, and then totally ignored their "agreement" and have just blown us off. They have absolutely no intention of paying and are laughing all the way to the bank. I may not get anything back, or ever receive the check promised, but at the end of the day, I am not the ###.

Jan 08, 2010

I, also hired Cross Country to move all of my furnishings fro California to Ohio in Feb. 2017.
    I flew from Ohio to California in order to witness the taking of my belongings from my storage facility. My facility was emptied and placed on the truck. The promised delivery date was off by a day or so. (no big deal). When my items finally arrived, it was discovered that my 30" color television purportedly packed for shipping was very badly damaged, cracked case and inoperable. Because I'm handicapped with only the use of one hand it took me a month or so torealize that not all of my items, approximately 4 boxes were missing. I notified the company at their location in New Jersey of my intent to file a claim which I did do but I was told that I filed too late and I never received a dime or my items. I firmly believe that my boxes were mis-delivered in either Texas or Tennessee as these were the two states their driver Eli told me they had made stops. I promptly told the New Jersey claims office of this and asked them to follow with other customers on my route but my gut tells me they did nothing but laugh as one other dissatisfied client believes, as well. Bottom line, an awful experience.

Feb 01, 2010

My shipment was misdirected to a different state causing it to be delayed. Upon arrival and unpacking I was amazed. I could have had children pack my household goods and received better service. My computers, monitors, keyboards, etc were thrown in boxes with other office supplies with no effort in protecting my stuff. In addition, a lot of my furniture was scratched and dented. Unfortunately I didn’t get the additional insurance, so I get reimbursed $.60 a pound. This amounts to almost zero reimbursement. I guess they could careless about carefully handling your shipment if they no they are not responsible for providing good service. I would highly encourage anyone considering to do business with this company to think twice.

• Do
      Feb 18, 2010

I hope you don't have too many friends and family. This is one of the worst moving companies out there. Based on Better Business Bureau (BBB) files, CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES has a BBB Rating of “F” on a scale from A+ to F. This is the LOWEST RATING BY BBB. The Reasons for this rating include: 116 complaints filed against the business, 3 complaints filed against the business that were not resolved, and a failure to respond to one complaint filed against the business in the last 36 months. Te grade represents BBB’s degree of confidence that the business is operating in a trustworthy manner and will make a good faith effort to resolve any customer concerns filled with BBB. In other words this company is NOT CONSIDERED TRUSTWORTHY! Do your homework before ever considering this company. For those of us who have been ripped off and stressed out the best we can do is make sure our complaints make it to the BBB and other regulatory agencies and associations CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES is associated with in order to the hold them accountable. Please forward your complaints to the following entities, which will submit inquiries to CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES and let them, feel the frustration and answer to their inadequacies.

- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/)
    - American Moving and Storage Association (http://www.moving.org/)
    - Better Business Bureau (http://www.complaint.bbb.org/)
    - New Jersey Department of Consumer Affairs (http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/)

• Do
      Feb 18, 2010

Unfortunately, I hope this company is no longer in business in 5 years. This is one of the worst moving companies out there. Based on Better Business Bureau (BBB) files, CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES has a BBB Rating of “F” on a scale from A+ to F. This is the LOWEST RATING BY BBB. The Reasons for this rating include: 116 complaints filed against the business, 3 complaints filed against the business that were not resolved, and a failure to respond to one complaint filed against the business in the last 36 months. The grade represents BBB’s degree of confidence that the business is operating in a trustworthy manner and will make a good faith effort to resolve any customer concerns filled with BBB. In other words this company is NOT CONSIDERED TRUSTWORTHY! For example:

On 17 May 2017, the U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) announced it had assessed penalties for multiple violations of Federal Motor Carrier Commercial Regulations (FMCCRs) against five motor carriers hauling household goods, including CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES. The company was cited and fined $7, 500 for failing to follow loss and damage claims procedures; failing to provide a summary of its complaint and inquiry program and a summary of its dispute settlement program; failing to prepare orders for service in the prescribed form and manner; failing to prepare bills of lading in the prescribed form and manner; and failing to obtain weight tickets in the prescribed form and manner. Check it on the web at http://www.protectyourmove.gov/about/news-releases/fmcsa0205.htm. Do you want to do business with this company? After my experiences I wish I had not. If you were screwed by CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES please file a complaint by calling FMCSA's nationwide complaint hotline, 1-888-368-7238 (1-888 DOT-SAFT), or by going to http://nccdb.fmcsa.dot.gov on the Internet. A commercial complaint form also is available on FMCSA's Web site at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov. The form may be mailed or faxed to: FMCSA, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, MC-CM, Washington, DC 20590 . The fax number is 202-366-7298.

Also visit the following sites and make your complaints known:

- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/)
    - American Moving and Storage Association (http://www.moving.org/)
    - Better Business Bureau (http://www.complaint.bbb.org/)
    - New Jersey Department of Consumer Affairs (http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/)

• Gr
      Mar 20, 2010
    Cross Country Van Lines - Terrible moving company! Beware!

This company was contracted to do a move by another company I paid. They were a nightmare from the beginning. Customer service was very rude when I actually reached a live person. Otherwise they never returned phone calls. Instead of the 24 hour notice we were supposed to get before they arrived, they called me and said they were a mile down the road. They were extremely rude on the phone, yelling at me and saying that if I didn't come meet this man, they would put my things in storage and I would have to pay for it. We were out of town, so had to immediately coordinate someone to meet them. In addition, the driver couldn't find our address, and refused to take directions from me (and could not speak English at all), so he sat in a parking lot and our friends had to go find him and lead him to the house. He was alone with the delivery so our friends had to help him unload all our furniture (large, heavy furniture). Our table top was missing, and they just brought the legs. To this day, they have not responded to the claim for the table, or returned my phone calls in reference to it. This move was the worst experience I have ever had with a hired company. They demonstrate no knowledge of ethics or customer service at all. I would never recommend them. There is a reason their prices are lower than others...because the service is much worse.