Cross Country Van Lines / Sleeping on the floor for a month with 3 small children for a month

I hired Nationwide Movers to move my belongings from Boston to TX. Apparently Cross Country Van Lines (CCVL) was contracted to do the labor. CCVL showed up early and in a hurried mode where unwanted items were shipped and wanted items were not. Also, I was billed $25 for their placement of my TV in a Big Box without any mention of the "cost for their help."

I was promised my delivery by Sept 19. I phoned several times shortly before, on, and following that date with no response. The response I did get one time was, "it will be there this weekend" with no specifics. It did not arrive. Monday I phoned and no response. I was ready to phone the police when I finally got a supervisor rudely tell me "it will be there this weekend" and that it was a "busy time of year." No excuse for no communication.

I have 3 small children under the age of 5, one of which got very ill and needed hospitalized. We hired movers before with little inconvenience. Three weeks without beds, refrigeration, washer/dryer, furniture, CLOTHES, cooking utensils was extremely inconvenient and COSTLY. I believe I should be reimbursed for expenses incurred due to their negligence. If they communicated fairly, I may NOT have purchased another toaster oven after the 3rd week; however, how was I to know my belongings would ever arrive?

The condition of my property (full of sand??? and significantly dented) is another complaint. That, however, can never compete with sleeping on the floor for a month with 3 small children with no appliances to cook a home meal for one month.

Mb

Comments

Je
  21st of Apr, 2009

I've used the company Cross Country Van Lines to move my belongings from CA to NJ and must admit they did an amazing job. There Customer Service staff was very helpful and kept me posted at all times about my belongings. There moving crew was also a delight to work with, they were 1 of the most hardest working men I've seen and handled my belonging very carefully. I would recommend this company to all my friends and family.

Ma
  23rd of Apr, 2009
cross country moving company - good service
cross country van lines llc
Newark
New Jersey

hey i just moved back here to Jersey, i know big mistake, but i just came back to dirty jerz from living out in texas for 3 years and i used cross country and im happy with their service. if i move, which iwill bc jersey sucks, i will def use ccvan lines.

El
  28th of Apr, 2009
Cross Country Van Lines - smooth move, excellent service
cross country vanlines
East Rutherford
New Jersey

best moving company i've work so far. i move around alot for my job and this was the first time i used cross country vanlines to do my move and i am very happy with their services. they were accurate with my quote and pickup/delivery dates. I will use them for all my moves from now on. I saved some money and I got excellent service.

Sa
  30th of Apr, 2009
Cross Country Van Lines - Great Service
Cross Country Van Lines
East Rutherford
New Jersey

Great Service! I am very happy with my move. They were very careful with my furniture! No scratches, no dents, nothing bad, just excellent service! What I found very wonderful about my move is that it was at a great low cost. Good Timesssssss

Ln
  10th of Jun, 2009

DO NOT USE THEM!
The move agent promised continual updates to where your things are - which a completely untrue. We've had to call their dispatch in Jersey every day and their own dispatch can't even tell us where our stuff is nor the estimated delivery date. It has been 21 total days so far and we still have not seen our things. First off, be careful because they do not give you an arrival date. This is the first red flag. They have a buffer of 7-14 BUSINESS days - for us now it has been 13 business days. We wish we would have chosen another company to transport our things. I would recommend paying the extra money for someone else that will give you an exact delivery date and piece of mind that your things are safe and secure.

Ih
  10th of Sep, 2009

Good times? This is a review for a moving company, not a cocaine night out in JOISEY, honey, with your scummy pals.

Lies -

Ih
  10th of Sep, 2009

Lies, lies, and more lies. Rather than giving themselves high grades on a COMPLAINTS board, you'd think these stupid foreign pieces of sh1T would actually offer some REAL SERVICE.

Ks
  8th of Oct, 2009

We're going through this with CCVL right now. They were subcontracted to move our home from CA to KS and we can't even get a response from them. The arrival window ended yesterday and we just found out that our belongings still haven't left California! Meanwhile, my husband and I and our 4 kids are sleeping on the floor, going to the laundromat, and using coolers to try to keep our food cold. We're at 2 weeks now - I seriously hope we don't have to wait any longer. We've had to buy some things like towels and blankets for the floor. Any advice on how to get reimbursed for that? Thanks. And oh yeah...don't choose Cross Country Van Lines!

An
  1st of Feb, 2010

Absolutely the worst moving experience I have ever had. Would highly encourage anyone considering using this company to reconsider. Customer service is virtually nonexistent...literally...trying to get these folks on the phone is impossible.

18th of Feb, 2010

Based on Better Business Bureau (BBB) files, CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES has a BBB Rating of “F” on a scale from A+ to F. AN "F" IS THE LOWEST RATING BY BBB. The Reasons for this rating include: 116 complaints filed against the business, 3 complaints filed against the business that were not resolved, and a failure to respond to one complaint filed against the business in the last 36 months. The grade represents BBB’s degree of confidence that the business is operating in a trustworthy manner and will make a good faith effort to resolve any customer concerns filled with BBB. In other words this company is NOT considered trustworthy! Do your homework before ever considering this company. For those of us who have been ripped off and stressed out the best we can do is make sure our complaints make it to the BBB and other regulatory agencies and associations CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES is associated with in order to the hold them accountable. Please forward your complaints to the following entities, which will submit inquiries to CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES and let them feel some frustration and answer for their poor business practices.

18th of Feb, 2010

I move around alot as well and could not disagree with "Elie" more. This is one of the worst moving companies out there. Sorry, "Elie" but facts speak for them self. Based on Better Business Bureau (BBB) files, CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES has a BBB Rating of “F” on a scale from A+ to F. This is the LOWEST RATING BY BBB. The Reasons for this rating include: 116 complaints filed against the business, 3 complaints filed against the business that were not resolved, and a failure to respond to one complaint filed against the business in the last 36 months. Te grade represents BBB’s degree of confidence that the business is operating in a trustworthy manner and will make a good faith effort to resolve any customer concerns filled with BBB. In other words this company is NOT CONSIDERED TRUSTWORTHY! For example:

On 17 May 2005, the U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) announced it had assessed penalties for multiple violations of Federal Motor Carrier Commercial Regulations (FMCCRs) against five motor carriers hauling household goods, including CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES. The company was cited and fined $7, 500 for failing to follow loss and damage claims procedures; failing to provide a summary of its complaint and inquiry program and a summary of its dispute settlement program; failing to prepare orders for service in the prescribed form and manner; failing to prepare bills of lading in the prescribed form and manner; and failing to obtain weight tickets in the prescribed form and manner. Check it on the web at http://www.protectyourmove.gov/about/news-releases/fmcsa0205.htm. Do you want to do business with this company? After my experiences I wish I had not. If you were screwed by CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES please file a complaint by calling FMCSA's nationwide complaint hotline, 1-888-368-7238 (1-888 DOT-SAFT), or by going to http://nccdb.fmcsa.dot.gov on the Internet. A commercial complaint form also is available on FMCSA's Web site at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov. The form may be mailed or faxed to: FMCSA, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, MC-CM, Washington, DC 20590 . The fax number is 202-366-7298.

Also visit the following sites and make your complaints known:

18th of Feb, 2010

I find it comical that all the positive remarks in favor of this company on this complaint board were posted within a two week time period from 2009-04-21 to 2009-05-04. Nice try CROSS COUNTRY. Fact is this one of the worst moving companies out there. Based on Better Business Bureau (BBB) files, CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES has a BBB Rating of “F” on a scale from A+ to F. This is the LOWEST RATING BY BBB. The Reasons for this rating include: 116 complaints filed against the business, 3 complaints filed against the business that were not resolved, and a failure to respond to one complaint filed against the business in the last 36 months. Te grade represents BBB’s degree of confidence that the business is operating in a trustworthy manner and will make a good faith effort to resolve any customer concerns filled with BBB. In other words this company is NOT CONSIDERED TRUSTWORTHY! For example, the U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) announced it had assessed penalties for multiple violations of Federal Motor Carrier Commercial Regulations (FMCCRs) against five motor carriers hauling household goods, including CROSS COUNTRY VAN LINES. The company was cited and fined $7, 500 for failing to follow loss and damage claims procedures; failing to provide a summary of its complaint and inquiry program and a summary of its dispute settlement program; failing to prepare orders for service in the prescribed form and manner; failing to prepare bills of lading in the prescribed form and manner; and failing to obtain weight tickets in the prescribed form and manner. Check it on the web at http://www.protectyourmove.gov/about/news-releases/fmcsa0205.htm.

Also visit the following sites and make your complaints known:

Bi
  17th of Mar, 2010

It’s official Cross Country Van Lines no longer “exists”. I have been trying to contact their offices regarding my claim for a long delay in delivery of my household goods with no luck. I contacted the relocation company that contracted this company and was informed they “no longer existed”. Apparently the relocation company sent representatives to their offices in East Rutherford, NJ and found the building locked up and abandoned. It’s almost comical because I received an e-mail from Michael DeBenedetto, the Operations Manager, on 1 Feb 2010 regarding my claim indicating it was still at their rating department and he would have an answer for me at the end of that week. All the while he knew the company was folding…I can picture him sending the e-mail right before he boxed up his computer and shut the lights off. I was informed that I could submit my claims against Cross Country Van lines to their insurance company for payment.I would recommend doing the same for anyone who has a claim with Cross Country Van Lines.

Well I guess I can’t really complain about Cross Country Van Lines anymore since they ran themselves into the ground. But at least I can still complain about the piss poor management of the company by the president and operations manager who at the very least is a confirmed liar by his own actions. The owner is listed by the Better Business Bureau as Sam Jabareen and the Operations Manager was Michael DeBenedetto. They operated out of East Rutherford, NJ. Hopefully they can’t find employment. Potential employers beware!