Crocs / We deliberately make them flimsy

1 6273 Monarch Park PlaceNiwot, CO, United States Review updated:

Towards the end of last summer, I bought three pairs of Crocs Prima shoes.

One thing I liked about these shoes was that they were described as slip-resistant, and that they were suitable for wear in wet weather/wet areas. I spend a lot of time at the beach, and in the sprinklers with my daughter. I thought these would be perfect.

However, I quickly realized that they were anything but slip-resistant. I could wear them on wet sand or wet grass, but as soon as I would step on an interior tile or hardwood floor, it would be like hydroplaning. Immediate, and serious, slipping, with my feet going right out from under me.

The other day I was on the way to my daughters pediatrician, when it started raining. We were crossing a very busy avenue, in traffic, when I had the same severe slipping on the wet pavement. (Freshly and very smoothly paved.) I went face down, hard, right in front of oncoming traffic. Thanks to a good Samaritan, we were OK he pulled my daughter onto the sidewalk, and returned to grab me away from the cars and retrieve my shoes, which had flown off.

I wound up with two very badly bruised knees, scrapes on both feet and both wrists, and overall sore joints. The pediatrician helped me out with bandages, ice, and ibuprofin. But the worst was the scare, of falling flat out on a busy NYC street, with a four-year-old in tow.

I wrote to Crocs, and asked for a response. This is what I got:

From: Sarah DiMartino (sdimartino AT crocs.com)

Dear Maslowski,

Thank you for your inquiry. I am so sorry to hear about your incident. I am glad to hear that you are okay. Crocs footwear is the first product, in my knowledge, to successfully market a truly comfortable shoe. Our shoes have been shown to ease and/or eliminate stress on the lower back, knee and hip joints. They are extremely light weight and exhibit many other features that are not found in other footwear. The comfort and light weight is what has made Crocs so popular. The comfort level, or cushioning effect, of our footwear requires a soft durometer material to maintain that attribute. Soft material does not wear very well, especially, if worn outside (during hot weather) on rough surfaces such as concrete. There are many variables that will affect wear, such as some people drag their feet during the walking process. We realize that more durable soles would increase the value of our product. Our shoes were not designed to be clones of shoes that are more expensive, heavy (composed of leather uppers and a hard rubber sole), and not any where close to being as comfortable as our product. We want to be unique and are still striving to increase the durability, create new & different styles and improve the overall value of Crocs products. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me

----------

After this, I did contact her again, asking how and if they planned to address the ubiquitous slipping problem. And what I was supposed to do with $100 worth of shoes that were unwearable after a couple of months. She did not deign to reply.

Va

More Crocs Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Mt
      27th of Jul, 2010

I have to say that I do, unfortunately, agree.MY situation is such that I bought a pair of FLORENCE.I got them and wore them 3 times only.I am a STAY AT HOME MOTHER. LITERALLY.BARELY get out.I have a couple of other syles by Croc and have been satisfied.I did have a slip incident too, but lukily (in this instance anyway) I have a dirt drive. My slip was on a visit.But, I KNOW what you are speaking about.I was pregnant and SCARED out of my minde that I would fall.I did manage to catch myself with my right hand and such to break the fall and landed on my knees. THANK GOD we (baby and I) were both just fine!So, I do know.Also, the "Customer Service", or lack there of! FOR SURE! I KNOW!I live in the middle of "nowhere" and was expected to drive half an hour to a FedEx location to drop off the shoes to get to Croc.Well, I also have little ones to think of, ONE CAR, and just LIFE CIRCUMSTANCES.They were not helpful or ruefull of my problems..being the shoes!What happened was that I noticed the silver lining chipping and peeling off.Then, upon further inspection, I noticed that the FOUR STRAP areas (where they meet the sole) were coming apart! The shoes...for 29.99 are JUNK!While they are a nice style, comfortable to me, convenient to slip into quickly, THEY FELL APART AFTER 3 TIMES OF LIGHT WEAR!!! BARELY worn at all. SIMPLE drive to the store and home stuff! UNREAL!! I am still dealing with them for a month now! NO replacement yet!Then the C.S. Rep. (AFTER ASKING FOR A DISCOUNT SO I COULD NOW GET A PAIR FOR FALL, as it would take that long to get here, just for my trouble) sent me a code for 20% off! The same deal that I already had after purchasing a pair, they sent me this to bait me into buying another pair! I ASKED for it to boot!LOL! This was on my third email to her.LONG STORY! I finally emailed ALL my grievences, which will take to long to repeat now.But, her reply to ALLof my issues was, "thank you for the information. have you sent the shoes back, as yet?" THAT IS IT..and oh yah "thank you and have a nice day! LOL!!! I think I will find a way to post our emails! QUITE INTERESTING!!I would avoid them. PERIOD!!

• Av
      16th of Oct, 2013

I had the same experience with crocs footwear. Now, I'm suffering from bed knees due to falling at an E R hallway in the hospital. These footwear get stocked on a tiled and carpeted floor, thereby making you unstable or leaving one foot behind ending up falling on your knees. They are comfy for me, because they're wide and easy to put on and cheap. But the negative side is that: they are not made for walking, they're made for display or for decoration only, to make it short, they're USELESS. They don't perform their function at all. They are dangerous piece of footwear. They should improve their quality or better stop producing them. There will be a lot more of people that will be injured. I hope this comment will serve as a lesson, - Avelina (injured crocs owner)

26th of Oct, 2015

I strongly agree with Croc's very dangerous slipping in wet conditions on smooth surfaces. I have loved the shoes... they have fleece lining & I wore them everywhere in winter 2014/2015. BUT... on a rainy day in March I stepped from outside onto a concrete surface, then ZOOM - my foot slipped. Feared landing flat on my back, but kept balance on one leg... resulting in a hyper-extension of my knee. Experienced knee pain for months until bought a knee brace, wear it now ALL the time. Then today, Oct 26, on a rainy day walked in Crocs from wet parking lot into a supermarket & BAM - with first step slipped & fell flat on my back plus on my injured knee. A kind gentleman helped me to my feet & retrieved my cart which had gone flying. Knee is now extremely swollen... will go for orthopedic exam tomorrow. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THESE SHOES IN WET CONDITIONS!! IF YOU SLIP IT WILL BE VERY SUDDEN, VERY FAST, & IMPOSSIBLE TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM INJURY. -- Mac Brown, Athens GA