Cricket Wireless / problems with cricket wireless

1 4809 70th St.San Diego, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 6193030846

I received an email from Cricket Communications advertising their new Cricket Wireless service.
I wanted to learn more, so I went to their website:
[url=http://www.mycricket.com/cricketdatacards/details/um100usbpromo/?CMP=EMC-20081023bbnewpr&attr=mainoffer]Cricket Data Cards USB Broadband Modem[/url].

First, I noticed that in the small print it states: "Works with Windows (2000 through Vista 32-bit) and Mac (Leopard)".
Since all of my (and my son's) 5 computers are Vista 64, I wanted to verify compatibility.
An exhaustive search of the web-page and their Home Page, revealed NO links to "Contact Us", "About Us", "Technical Support" or similar.

I DID find a link to "Support", but it ONLY has FAQ's (about their phone service).
There is NO link to "Customer Support".

I clicked on "Find a Store" and found several in my area. At 7:30PM on a Friday night in San Diego (second largest city in CA), I was not able to find a single store open.

I called the 800 number for sales and the recording stated the number for Customer Service was "1-800- CRICKET". Seeing no reason to hunt down the number using letters, I waited for "Sales" for help or to get the number.
The "Sales" person (David) first told me the stores close at 8:00PM (I called way before 8) then was unable to give me an answer about the Vista 64bit compatibility, unable to give me a number or email address for technical support or the number or email for customer service.
I told him I had a problem doing business with a company that can't provide email or phone technical support. He told me to "have a nice day" and hung up.

From the email I received, I found a link to email "Customer Support" and discovered that you can ONLY email "Customer Support" if you already have a Cricket phone number. This link is NOT on the web page.

Since Cricket is not the only provider of wireless services, please check out this total lack of Customer Support, Customer Service, Technical Support, stores with reasonable hours (NO 24/7 support? Isn't wireless 24 hours?) and even no listed phone, email or address for the company (hiding?).
Everyone knows that ALL electronic devices (especially wireless) require technical support at one time or another.
It seems if you have a connection or other problem you are S.O.L.
Check it out before buying.

Comments

• Sp
      24th of Oct, 2008

I wanted to learn more, so I went to their website:

There is NO link to "Customer Support".

It seems if you have a connection or other problem you are S.O.L.
    Check it out before buying.

• De
      7th of Mar, 2009

In Nov. of 08 I signed up for Cricket Wireless Broadband service. I paid $159.00 for the modem (with a $50 mail-in rebate) and over $19 for prorated services since my billing cycle would be up on Dec. 18th. I was told my service would cost 35.00/month for unlimited broadband service. A bit pricey but we wanted a wireless device. Crickets ads on TV and their OWN web site states that it is an UNLIMITED broadband service as did the man who sold me the modem, and $35 was still $5 less than we were paying for cable internet. The moden was easy to install and at first the service was great. Not as fast as cable, but fast enough. Now, we use the internet mainly for surfing, games, dowloading, the typical things MOST people do on their internet. About a week after we installed it, the internet started to slow down considerably, to the point of being as slow as dial up. We couldn't download and God help you if you wanted to watch a video on YouTube (the average time to load one is about 45 minutes). We went to the Cricker retailer and complained. They said they had no idea why this would be happening and asked if I had called tech support. I told them I had, but for 3 days straight I got the "we are experiencing higher than normal call volume, please call back...CLICK". So they gave me another number to call. When we called that 800 #, it was another branch of their tech support and to my joy, it was someone from Ohio (typicaly I would reach someone who spoke very little English and who couldn't understand me either). After some checking around, she told me that the reason it was so slow was beacuse we had hit our download limit of 5gbs. She explained that pretty much anything we do like playing games, watching streaming video, downloading songs, downloading pictures from e-mail and even Microsoft updates count toward our 5 gbs, and once that happens, the broadband is shut off and that you're basically on a dial-up line. I explained to her that we told it was unlimited and she told me she knew that is what they were telling people and she didn't know how they were getting away with false advertising. We are like most families in what we use the internet for and with that useage, the limit is reached within days...so you have a few days of broadband and the rest of the month is dial-up. Now, mind you, you STILL have access...you can still download and surf but a Microsoft update can take DAYS to download (almost 2 days in our case). We were also informed that when you exceed your limit, anything beyond that (even if it's not on broadband) counts toward your next months limit. So, at this point, it'll be years before we have broadband again! She was nice enough to reset our limit, and for a few days, we have speed again. I honestly have to say, that after other bad experinces with Crickets customer service, this women was actually very nice, spoke clear English and was very helpful.

Now, we are stuck with a new wirelss modem that put us out $159 (the $50 rebate has YET to appear) and really crappy internet service that is pretty much useless, might as well have a dial-up line, which I can get for $10 a month! When we went to the retailer to complain, they claim to not ever know this is how their internet service works

• Im
      5th of May, 2009

the cricket a600 will work with your laptop.

• Ke
      18th of May, 2009

I had Cricket for one month, worked great, then I go to get online, and it would not connect. I called customer service, the tech area, and the lady goes " did you pay your bill today" ? I said this morning at a cricket store, I paid cash. She goes "well your payment is pending, so I cant help you with anything until it goes threw" I said I paid my bill early, plus I paid cash, what does that have to do with tech support? she goes "nope cant help you" I was dumb founded, that made no sense whats so ever, then she just hung up on me! I called back and got another tech support person, this person trouble shooted with me for a hour, then refered it for a tech to call me back. After 2 days no call, I called them back, first I needed to give them 48 hours, then after 48 hours came and went, I was told to wait at least a week, for a tech to call me. no calls, I took it to a cricket store, this guy worked on it for 2 hours, told me the problem was real simple to fix, but when the trouble shooted it they made a disaster out of it.The Manager told me that I had to wait for this Tech guy to contact me, dispite 12 calls to this Tech guy, with polite call back info, he would not return my call. So I was stuck with a down computer and a tech guy that will not do his job.I had the same problem with customer service, alot of the operators, once they realized the scope of my problem, they would just hang up on me, so they would not have to deal with it. Then you spend for ever trying to get threw again. The 1-800-cricket line, is disgusting, they are complete idiots. But when I went into the Cricket stores they were VERY GOOD. Anyhow I had to pay a computer nerd $150 to fix, what cricket did to my computer.The internet is great, but if you have tech problems, good luck! I would go directly to the store, and not deal with calling them.Also the Manager at the store, rebated me the week I was with out service, and he made a complaint to the corporate office, regarding the jerk tech guy who wouldnt do his job.

• Ba
      27th of Jul, 2009

This phone services is terrible. I can't top-up my phone sometimes for 2 days!

They say my credit cards are not good.
    I have a visa, MC, American Express which I use daily!
    Cricket denies my cards, even the top-up cards you buy in the store.

It's scamming and worthless. I'm going back to Virgin Mobile! :)

• Mi
      7th of Aug, 2009

I have to say I have had Cricket phone service for 2 years and broadband for about 9 months. I never have problems with either one. I love cricket because its affordable and there are no suprise charges. My phone bill is the same every single month. The ONLY thing I dont like is the fact that they cut the bridge payments to one a month.

• Th
      23rd of Nov, 2009

Where to file complaints against this "company"
    FBI.gov
    finra.org (as LEAP Communications)
    Your state's Consumer Protection Department/Agency AND the California Department of Consumer affairs
    FCC (if they have no FCC license they can not continue thier abuses
    Federal Trade Commission - 1877-382-4357
    Department of Labor - (must have something to hide if they are trying to get me fired from this agency (which bahahah I don't work at) for making a comment on the President of LEAP Communication that theyare a Federal Contractor and maybe in need of a DOL Compliance review)
    The LEAP President's office number is 858-882-6304 (they only call you back to threaten you)
    File a police report if your issue involes illegal and fraudulent charges
    I liked googleing the Board of Directors and telling them about the ways in which this company stole from me.

• Ca
      8th of Dec, 2009

We purchased a Cricket phone on line, for our grandson. When the phone arrived we called and had it activated. They gave us a wrong area code for Arizona and then said we would have to call back because something was wrong with their computer system.
    We called back and were told they would waive the fee for changing the number. They finally gave us the correct area code number. When phone is on, it is always searching. It is a refurbished phone, and this morning it acted up really wierd, It would not shut off by pressing end, I had to remove the battery.

Battery checked out good when charged, but if you leave the phone on it searches all the time. If you walk five blocks away the reception is great. We can not walk five blocks to use the phone. We are senior citizens and got this phone so that our grandson can call us for a ride from school. The reception at school is great.
    We took the phone in 2 times and this last time we were told we can get another refurbished phone for $10.00 and no camera.

This is a very bad policy. If one phone does not work why would I put out another amount of money for a phone and no camera. It is like throwing more money out the door.

We live on social security and in this economy I feel I was treated very badly. They say there is service in my area. We paid $47.00 for the phone and a months service, I would never recommend this service to anyone.

Carol and Edward Kensek Verizon phone number 847-370-4399 Goodyear Ariz Home phone 623-882-2048

10.00

• Fa
      2nd of Jan, 2010

leapwireless.net is the same thing as cricket communications. DO NOT GET THIS SERVICE!! THEY ARE SCAMMERS! I filed many complaints with the FCC already and they are investigating from numerous reports.

Class action lawsuit sounds right to me.

4th of Jun, 2010

I began my cricket internet service in September of 09. At first the service was decent at my house, better than dial up. It has gone down to less than dial up speeds if that is possible. I basically have no internet ability with their service.

I have yet to receive my mail in rebate back yet. They seem to have lost it and cannot send another out until the first is located. Apparently this is taking them a while.

The new update came across for cricket two weeks ago, I downloaded it onto a new laptop and it immediately blue-screened. Go figure, I take it to the tech guys at best buy. It was the new update from cricket that caused the software issue. I talk to cricket technical support which come to find out is their customer service department. I got a guy who could barely speak English, I asked for an English speaking tech support person since I could not understand but every 5th word. He couldn't transfer me or give me a number to a U.S. based call center.

I pushed through with him just to find out that Cricket has no tech support but customer support people reading possible solutions to issues from a computer screen. He was of no help, I asked for a manager, he said he was the manager, I asked for his manager, he said his manager was out. I asked when I could call back to speak with him, he said he could not give out that information. It continued on like this from that point, I would ask a simple question and he would tell me that he could not give out the information. I asked for some type of compensation or credit to my account since this issue was created by cricket, he said that cricket did not create issues for peoples computers and would have to end the phone call since their was nothing he could do for me. I told him that it was a damn shame to be treated like this by customer service/tech support. He said he was ending the call due to foul language.

Nice job Cricket, your really setting the bar high here.

4th of Jun, 2010

Ok,

Much to my better judgment I just called Cricket tech support to see if they could resolve the issue with my internet going down to slower than dial up speeds over the past week or so.

In my mind it is something as simple as redirecting the tower which probably was turned at some point over the past week.

Their solution was for me to sit closer to a window. Really???