Credit Security Alert / Refusal to investigate erroneous charge

Bank of America's Privacy Assist
P.O Box 220510, Chantilly, VA 20153-0510
Phone: 880-910-6546
My father is contracting with a company named Privacy Assist, which claims to be connected with Bank of America. They have erroneously billed my father's credit card account and are putting me into an endless do-loop when I have tried to rectify the problem...

1. Dad called Privacy Assist for the purpose of giving them his new Assisted Living address. His usual bill per month is $12.99 and posts to his credit card every month.

2. As a result of Dad's phone call, Privacy Assist has billed him an additional $29.99, although my father wanted no additional services.

3. I called Privacy Assist and was told that, without talking to my father, they couldn't even access his account. No one asked whether I had P.O.A., which I do and could have faxed a copy over to them.

4. I asked that they at least review the phone conversation, but they refused, saying they couldn't even do that without having Dad on the phone.

So basically, my problem is this: When Dad did talk to them on the phone, they ended up billing him more than twice as much again as his usual service. When I try to correct the error, they insist on talking to Dad on the phone. I began my quest, thinking that the $29.99 was an honest mistake because Dad is hard of hearing and might have misunderstood something. But now I smell something malignant...I feel as though this company has preyed on my parents.

A  22nd of Sep, 2009 by
They claim to protect your privacy, but it is very shady business.
I tried to cancell and they tell me that my birth day doesn't match and I am not authorized to cancell.
I have never signed up for the service thought and have been desputing the charge to my cc every month and finaly closed the account.
N  14th of Sep, 2010 by
I was taken in by this same scam. A man called my home in July informing me that he was calling from FIA card services, I verified if this was a sales call and he lied that he was not selling and said that he was from the card services. He said in these days there are lot of identity thefts and seems that there was a hack into a batch of creditcard numbers at thier end. They were sending out the credit reports and i was to check if there were any misuse of my account. I confirmed if there is any charge for getting the credit report and he said that there was no charge and they sending it out to all people whose account maybe compromised. So they they had reason to believe my card account could have been misused and that they needed to send me the credit reports so I could make sure that my account was ok. He then proceed to tell my credit card number and he asked to confirm my social before he could proceed further. i confirmed my social. He then asked if he could record what we were saying and if i agreed to do this. I said yes. He then proceeded to very quickly read some terms and notices. I halted him saying he was too fast and i did not understand most of it. He lied that its part of his job to read out and make sure i heard it. He was pretty glib and kept on talking. I halted him again and he was pretty irritated and kept on talking.

I immediately went online and monitored my credit card account for a couple of weeks. No credit reports were mailed to me. Today Aug 14th i seen my credit card statement and there is a charge $12.99 a couple of days back by Privacy Assist.

I called Privacy Assist to check what was going on. The lady on customer assist was trying to convince me that it was a good deal to have protection. I said i m not interested. For the last so many years I have been regularly solicited to buy credit protection, and i never brought it. I then proceeded to tell the lady that i did verify if the guy who called was selling and how the guy lied. She then offered to lower the monthly charge if it was too high. It was like she did not understand that i did not want the service period. After much annoyance and petty talk she finally said that she will discontinue.

I asked for her to refund the money charged and she point blank refused, saying it is my fault that i accepted and BofAmerica customers wer given 30 days...it was like she never heard anything i told her about the guy lying and conning me. I finally told her i will lodge complaints. I told her in the first instance i got the card from Wachovia and not BofA. Secondly i never agreed to the service and finally i never got any credit report too. On and on it went, i was really getting angry. I told her to verify the call made by her rep and she had no right to call me a liar. After much trauma she finally agreed to refund the money.

I agree with earlier comments that 1. They are deliberately scaring someone with a lie so they can steal from the average man and this is so wrong. 2. Giving thier dishonest affiliates my credit card number and asking to verify last four digits social security number is also wrong. 3. The customer assist person tried her dammest to hook me to the service and refused to refund $12.99.

It is sad to hear that the USA employees at customer assist have to work in such pitiable circumstances. My heart goes out to them and urge them to leave as soon as they get better oppurtunities. It will not be easy in this economy. But harassing clients or being a fraud is not the better alternative.

For the most part the majority of customer assists call centers are outsourced and the people there are least concerned about service to Americans. I sometimes am inclined to beleive that they take deliberate pleasure in stickin it to Americans. I hope to be wrong in this, as the only ones to blame are other greedy Americans who outsource in the first place just to fatten thier bonuses.

BTW I agree that "tigereyze" has a vested interest in the company. He probably is employed by the company as PR and his job is to discrediting the folks who are complaining.

Do not trust such Corporates to be honest, or act responsibly, when it comes to this scam. They don't really care and just want your money.