Crate & Barrel / Customer Service and Credit Information Gathering Procedures

1 Atlanta, GA, United States

My wife and I ordered this sofa from the Lenox Mall Atlanta store and recently discovered that the order is going to be delivered late. I want to emphasize that WE discovered the lateness when WE called to check as we had not heard anything for over four weeks! We discovered through painful phone calls over three days that the store was notified within a week of the delay and did not notify us. When we tried to discover the reason, we were palmed off with several "probable" reasons that all involved the manufacturer and the material we chose for this "semi-custom" sofa. We pushed for a definite reason and the store manager eventually called to say that "corporate" had told her that our order was being manufactured and would be ready as per the "lead time" quoted in writing when we place the order, BUT, it was going to stay at the factory until Crate & Darrell had enough orders from other customers to financially justify picking up from the manufacturer and "corporate" was not going to do anything about it as it was not "cost effective." In fact, the manager confirmed that all the "lead time" and "ETA"s that they give you, verbally and in writing, mean NOTHING: it could be six, 12, 24 months or more before we see our order. Crate & Barrel are not held to any delivery standard if it does not meet their cost effective (read profit line) goals. Individual customer service and satisfaction fall way below their company profit line in priorities, despite the fact that they take your money up front and keep it in their bank account gaining interest for them! Any cancellations after 72-hours of order placing result in no refund. Under other circumstances this may be called highway robbery, or even fraud!

In addition to this appalling example of big business holding the individual "hostage" for their own gains, we have serious reservations as to what Crate & Barrel may have done with our personal credit information. When we placed the order we were advised that we would get a discount if we applied for a Crate & Barrel credit card. I went ahead and applied as directed by the sales associate and inputted my information into the key pad at the checkout desk. Three weeks after, MYWIFE, received a letter from Crate & Barrel's credit card company saying that they could not approve HER application as they could not verify HER social security number. My wife never touched the keypad and never input any of her information. After two attempts from the store, we eventually obtained the telephone number for Crate & Barrel's credit card company as it was not included in the letter. We discovered that the company had NEVER received my application and couldn't explain why my wife had an application processed in her name as the store was responsible for gathering the information. Of course, the Lenox Place Atlanta store had no explanation. We are closely monitoring our credit reports, but are gravely concerned about Crate & Barrel's personal information collection system. BE AWARE AND BE VERY CAREFUL.

Ro