C.P's Guiding Service / Ripoff

The website states that there is some type of guiding service provided. The wilderness hunt is you being dropped off by boat at the banks of Indian Lake at early morning and being retrieved at sundown. The services that are provided are tent accommodations, an outhouse, portable shower, a cot, 3 meals, transportation in and out, and game and trophy care. Bag a 300 lb bear 6 or 7 miles into the woods and try dragging it out yourself. I have been on two trips with CP Guiding service and they were okay.

If you are thinking of the Farmland Hunting Trip offered, Don't bother... it is nothing like what is presented on the website. There is only a 5 day farmland for $1, 000. (cash) and the Chyle Country Inn is not the beautiful home in the photos but just a shell of a house with a kerosene heater. Bring your sleeping bags because there are no linens and your own pillows unless you like stained yellowed ones. There are only two hot meals a day not three. For lunch expect two slices of bread and one slice of salami and one slice of cheese.

Don't think for a moment that you will bag a buck because the area is hunted out even before the season begins by farmers and poachers that just want to take the trophy bucks before any outsider does.

I was put in a tree stand that was surrounded on three sides by barking dogs, farmers shooting off there guns every 45 minutes and earth moving equipment tearing up parts of the tree line with the loudest back up beeping I have ever heard. There were four other guests that were promised doe tags... none were provided. Guess how many bucks were taken by the 5 participants in this 5 day farmland hunt. If you guessed zero you would be correct. And if you think you'll get even a partial refund for pointing out all of the misleading advertising and misrepresentations by the owner you'd better start planning your court case now.

If you really have nothing better to do with a $1, 000. go buy your wife a nice gift or take her and the kids away to Florida for the weekend. By the way there are residents in the area that will let you hunt their land for free.

Ri

Comments

• To
      8th of Dec, 2010

I would only use a guide service if I was unable to scout the area weeks before the season to find food trails and deer and bear travel patterns. Since I cannot get that much time off from work to go in pre-season I guess a guide service would come in handy. Unfortunately it sounds like the service promised much more than it delivered especially when it came to providing doe tags to all the participants. I did visit the website and I can see what you mean about the promised accommodations, I also noticed that a Northern Zone buck is shown for the farmland hunt for the Southern Zone Farmland Hunt. I guess after you and four others spent your whole trip not seeing any deer I would have to agree that you got ripped-off. Thanks for the 4-1-1 on C.P.'s Guiding Service. I will use Bucklore or one of the other guide services advertised.

• Ti
      8th of Dec, 2010
    Best Best Advice +9 Votes

If you and the others got promised doe tags and C.P.'s Guiding Service did not deliver I would ask for my money back. I would think that C.P.'s Guiding Service would have at least offered you a refund or tried to accommodate you in some way. If they didn't, that would make them a pretty crappy businessmen as far as repeat business goes. Money is hard enough to come by in this economic depression we are in. I would be upset too if I threw away $1, 000. on false promises and bait and switch hotel accommodations.

Have you ever thought to sue for damages or file a complaint with the BBB or DEC?

Better luck next year. I hope you get a trophy buck to make up for this years mishap.

• Bo
      10th of Dec, 2010

There are millions of acres of State land to hunt in New York. The farmland guides are only property owners that don't farm their own land. After they've taken the trophy bucks and there is nothing left they open their farms to the outsiders. I've heard several people at Gander Mountain's Plattsburgh, New York store complain about C.P.'s scams. They haven't caught a buck in years on his farmland and his Northern deer and bear hunts. Don't waste your money. For a $1, 000.00 go buy yourself a new rifle and hunt for bear and deer in Pennsylvania or New Jersey.

12th of Dec, 2010

I noticed that you stated that C.P.'s Guiding Service only accepted cash. That's usually a sign that they have no intention of returning your money when you realize you've been ripped off. It's also a sign that he probably isn't reporting all this income. If you really want to get even call the I.R.S. on this business and have him investigated.

You said there were five participants at $1, 000.00 each just for those 5 days that $5, 000.00; now multiply that by the number of trips throughout the hunting seasons (deer, bear, coyotee, bird, and so on). This is a three-hundred sixty-five day per year business. If this is an all cash business he is probably raking in tens of thousands annually that is not reported income. According to the website he's been a guide for twenty years. Now we are talking hundreds of thousands in unreportable income.

I'm pretty sure after a 7 year audit that C.P.'s Guiding Service will be run out of Sing Sing prison in Ossining, New York. Call toll free: 1-800-366-4484

Good Luck with your case.

• Ed
      17th of Dec, 2010

I've seen their ads in the annual Hunting magazine from time to time. I had thought about giving them a call and signing on to one of their trips. Thanks for letting everyone know that they are not what they pretend to be. I would expect if more people complain that they may pull his guide license or at least pull his advertising.

You saved me a thousand dollars and five days of frustration. Thank you.

Edward

• Be
      29th of Dec, 2010

I see that C.P.'s Guiding Service is all over the net under different links. I went to the BBB to check him out and see that he has unresolved complaints due to no response to the complaints filed against him. I guess he pays to be first linked on the search engines. It obviously pays to be a scam artist. When it comes to hunting I take getting the best service from a guide very seriously. He obviously has been doing this for so long he doesn't really care aout providing a service anymore... it's all about the money. The previous writer was correct that he is a crappy businessman. If I had a repeat customer I would have at least offered him the next season's Northern or Southern Zone hunt for free.

Try the District Attorney's Office if you don't get any satisfaction with the Better Business Bureau. You can download their complaint forms on-line.

• Al
      4th of Jan, 2011

I always tell my students never to pay cash for services until after they are satisfactorily rendered. I am happy to see that you have published your complaint online so that others do not have to be ripped off. Additionally, I read the Better Business Bureau rating of " D " for his service. Apparently it should have been an " F " rating, but since he is not responding to them they cannot resolve your complaint. Be happy knowing that hundreds are reading your complaint and he is losing tens of thousands in potential income.

I did do a google search for C.P.'s Guiding Service and several complaints were among the dozens of links he has created under multiple URLs. I guess once people wise up to his scams he moves on, changes his name or website name and starts all over scamming everyone.

I do agree with the previous writer that he should have at least offered your next season's Northern Zone hunt for free to make up for the bait and switch accommodations and for not providing doe tags as promised. He is not a very bright businessman but from the number of websites and mirror sites he has created this scam seems to be very lucrative for him.

31st of Jan, 2011

As a follow-up to my original post... C.P.'s Guiding Service has provided no evidence or statements from any of the 4 participants either verifying or nullifying my statements above.

The Better Business Bureau has closed the complaint as unresolved and given C.P.'s Guiding Service a "D" rating because they have repeatedly asked for the names and numbers of the other guests to verify that he provided everything he had promised and stated that he provided. Since he cannot get any of the participants to vouch for his service he has not provided anything in his own defense. Instead, He has repeatedly critisized my hunting ability even though he has never once done more than drop me off at the shores of Lewey Lake before sunrise and retrieved me after sundown at the same pickup point.

I have been hunting since 1977 and C.P.'s Owner has been a "pretend" guide for less than half of that time. Save your money and use a legitimate guiding service.

• Wi
      6th of Feb, 2011

IN RESPONSE TO C.P VICITIM'S COMPLAINT... WERE YOU GIVEN SPECIFIC INFORMATION TO HAVE A SUCCESFUL HUNT?.. WERE THE OTHERS IN YOUR PARTY THAT UNHAPPY? I BELIEVE NOT.. TO THOSE WHO THINK THIS GUIDE SERVICE AS A SCAM YOU ARE WRONG... THERE HAS BEEN A RESPONSE GIVEN TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU.. TO THE PERSON WHO SAID THERE ARE VARIOUS LINKS, PROVING SCAMS, THATS A LIE!!! I DID RESEARCH AND OBVIOUSLY YOU FELT THE NEED TO EMBELISH YOUR FINDINGS..IF THIS SERVICE WAS SO BAD, THEN PLEASE TELL ME WHY THEY HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS MORE THAN 10 YRS..? ITS BECAUSE THE FEW COMPLAINERS THAT THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE TO SIT ON THEIR ###'S AND REAP THE REWARDS WITH OUT HE WORK. I SUGGEST YOU FIND OUT THE FACTS FIRST BEFORE YOU RUN YOUR MOUTH..PEOPLE SHOULD CONTACT THE GUIDE SERVICE THEM SELVES, INSTEAD OF LISTENING TO A PERSON WITH NO HUNTING SKILLS OBVIOUSLY...YOU CANT GET THAT ANIMAL YOU DESIRE BY SITTING ON YOUR ###!!!IF YOU DID NOT FOLLOW THE GUIDES DIRECTIONS FOR THE HUNT ITS YOUR OWN FAULT, NOT THE GUIDES SERVICES!!!

7th of Feb, 2011

To Wildspirit 40.

YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY THE OWNER OF C.P.'s GUIDING SERVICE AND THE RESPONSE SENT TO THE BBB WAS NOT A RESPONSE BUT A CRITISM OF MY HUNTING ABILITIES AND STATEMENTS ABOUT WHAT THE OTHER PARTICIPANTS WOULD SAY IF YOU WERE TO PROVIDE STATEMNTS FROM THEM. UNFORTUNATELY AFTER REPEATED REQUESTS FROM THE BBB NO STATMENTS EXCEPT YOUR OWN WERE GIVEN AND THAT IS WHY TH COMPLAINT WAS CLOSED AS UNRESOLVED AND YOU WERE GIVEN A "D" RATING.

AS FAR AS FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS OF THE GUIDE... THERE WERE NONE. WE WERE PLACED IN TREE STANDS (WHICH I SAT IN FOR 25 HOURS AND SAW ABOUT 40 DOE). THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT IF YOU WOULD HAVE PROVIDED THE DOE TAGS TO EVERYONE AS YOU HAD PROMISED.

YOU MAY ACCUSE ME OF HAVING NO HUNTING SKILLS EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE NEVER STUCK AROUND AFTER DROPPING ME OFF... BUT I CAN TELL YOU FOR SURE THAT YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO GUIDING SKILLS EVEN BEING IN BUSINESS FOR 10 YEARS.

YOU ALSO FAILED TO ADDRESS YOUR WEBSITE STATING THAT GUESTS WOULD BE STAYING AT THE CHYLE INN BED AND BREAKFAST, SERVED THREE HOT MEALS PER DAY AND YOUR GUESTS STAYED IN AN OLD BROKEN DOWN AMISH SCHOOL HOUSE AND GIVEN BALONEY SANDWICHES.

YOU ARE FULL OF IT AND YOUR SERVICE IS A SCAM... AS I STATED BEFORE IT'S ALL ABOUT MAKING A BUCK NOT CATCHING ANY. KEEP POSTING BECAUSE EVERY TIME SOMEONE DOES THIS COMPLAINT BOARD GETS HIGHER IN ALL THE SEARCH ENGINES. THAT SHOULD BE GREAT FOR BUSINESS.

• Wi
      8th of Feb, 2011

TO C.P. VICITIM... NO SIR I AM NOT THE OWNER.. I WAS JUST STATING MY OPPINION OF WHAT I THOUGHT ABOUT YOUR COMPLAINT. FIRST OF ALL I HUNT AND I AM NOT SURE WHY YOU SPENT 25 HRS IN A TREE STAND BUT THAT SEEMS OVER EMBLEISHED TO ME. AS FOR THE TAGS ILL HAVE TO LOOK ON THAT SITE TO SEE IF THEY ARE OFFERED. I HAVE NEVER USED A GUIDE SERVICE TO HUNT, I LIVED IN ALASKA 8 YRS AND NEVER ONCE COMPLAINED ABOUT NOT BAGGING AN ANIMAL.. MY HUNTING SKILLS MAY NOT BE AS SHARP AS MOST PEOPLE BUT I KNOW I DONT NEED A GUIDE THERE TO HOLD MY HAND...TO GET THAT ANIMAL.. AS FOR THE ACCOMODATIONS ILL HAVE TO LOOK INTO THAT ALSO, BUT IT SEEMS TO ME THAT IF YOU BOOKED A TRIP ISNT IT ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS? MAYBE THE OTHER PLACE WAS FULL? THE WAY I SEE YOUR COMPLAINT IS THAT YOU WANTED THAT ANIMAL HANDED TO YOU... WITH OUT USING WHAT GOD GAVE YOU BRAINS AND PATIENTS.. ALL HUNTERS KNOW THAT YOU MAY NOT ALWAYS GET YOUR ANIMAL, YOU CAN GO DAYS, WEEKS AND MONTHS WITHOUT ANYTHING..ITS THE LAW OF NATURE, YOU WIN SOME YOU LOSE SOME THATS THAT... BY THE WAY I LOOKED UP THE CP'S GUIDE SERVICE FOR NEW YORK AND IT WAS SECOND RATED IN A LINE OF QUITE A FEW GUIDE SERVICES OFFERED. THAT MEANS THEY ARE A REPUTABLE SERVICE AND YOU ARE ONLY MAD BECAUSE YOU DIDNT GET THAT BIIG ONE TO BRAG ABOUT ...

8th of Feb, 2011

YOU SEEM TO BE SURE OF NOTHING, BUT YOU ALSO SEEM TO HAVE LOTS OF OPINIONS BEFORE {QUOTE} LOOKING INTO IT {UNQUOTE}. YOU ARE DEFINITELY THE OWNER OR A RELATIVE JUST APPARENT BY YOUR STATEMENTS.

I SPENT 25 HOURS OVER 2 1/2 DAYS IN A TREE STAND - PRE-DAWN TO NIGHTFALL (THAT'S WHAT YOU DO ON A FARMLAND HUNT). THIS IS NOT A NORTHERN ZONE (ADIRONDACK MOUNTAINS OR ALASKA HUNT) YOU ARE NOT TRACKING ANIMALS. PATIENCE IS SITTING STILL AND WAITING BUT IN ALASKA GOD FORGOT TO HAND OUT AT LEAST ONE BRAIN.

NO ONE WAS WAITING FOR ANYONE TO HAND US A BUCK. THERE WERE PLENTY OF DOE EVERYWHERE ALL WE WANTED HANDED TO US WERE THE DOE TAGS THAT WERE PROMISED AND DECENT ACCOMODATIONS. IF SOMEONE ADVERTISES THE HILTON HOTEL AND PROVIDES YOU WITH A CARDBOARD BOX TO SLEEP IN WOULD YOU NOT GRIPE ABOUT IT.

DO YOU EXPECT TO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR OR DO YOU LACK THE BRAINS TO KNOW WHEN SOMEONE IS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF YOU. YOU SAID YOU LOOKED THEM UP... IM SURE IT WAS QUITE EASY THEY HAVE ABOUT 20 MIRROR WEBSITES UNDER DIFFERENT URL LINKS. SCAMMING IS VERY LUCRATIVE, MADOFF STOLE 65 BILLION DOLLARS FROM HIS VICTIMS.

IF YOU WANT HISTORY GO TO THE BBB AND READ THE COMPLAINT AND THE REBUTTLES. THE BBB DID NOT GET THE INFORMATION (STATEMENTS FROM THE OTHER PARTICIPANTS FROM C.P.S GUIDING SERVICE AS PROMISED) SO THE CASE IS UNRESOLVED.

To Wildspirit40

The definition of a hunting guide is {quote} Under the Game and Feral Animal Control Regulation 2004, a Hunting Guide means a person who for fee or reward accompanies other persons on a hunt for Game Animals for the purposes of guiding, tracking, or otherwise assisting those persons in connection with their hunting of game animals in unfamiliar areas or territory. {Unquote}

A Guide is not someone that takes your money and leaves you at the shore line and comes back 12 hours later to retrieve you or places you in a tree stand in an area that has been hunted out.

Mark Twain once wrote {quote} It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt {unquote} I tend to follow that advise.

7th of Mar, 2011

I read through my original complaint and all of the statements above including what appears to be the owner of the guiding service disguising himself as just a poster on this complaint board. The comments written about the owner responding to the Better Business Bureau was a dead give away because no one but the owner of the guiding service would know that. The poster also stated that a guide is not there to hold your hand. The guide is there to assist in tracking the desired animal or placing you in a ground blind or tree stand that is a know food trail or known travel pattern, the final shot is on whether the hunter hits or misses his shot. It is definitely the job of the guide to do more than drop you off, or place you in a tree stand in an area that is hunted out, surrounded by barking dogs and earth moving equipment actively tearing out trees.

If you are going to state that you can provide doe tags you also must provide doe tags. The doe were everywhere, so many that you could have hit one with a stick if you wanted to. I would have been happy to bag a doe the first day and left knowing that I at least got my money's worth. But to be asked to ignore the accomodations, to be asked to ignore that no doe tags were provided (as promised), to be asked to ignore all of the misleading statments and images on the website depicting a beautifully renovated bed and breakfast and being stuck in an old broken down Amish school house served baloney sandwiches is asking just too much.

I did state that I had been on the Northern Zone hunt twice so obviously I didn't care that the guide did not assist in tracking or guiding me. It was more about the outdoor camping experience anyway. The DEC map shows about five million acres of land to hunt so being able to bag a bear or deer is very difficult unless the area has been baited-which is not allowed in New York, and I did state that the two trips were {quote} okay {unquote} in my complaint.

The website also states that their company's success is due to repeat business. I did not meet anyone on any of the three trips both Northern Zone or Southern Zone that had ever used his service prior or that stated they would ever use it again. He may be referring to his charter fishing trips.

The complaint was forwarded to the Better Business Bureau. The BBB stated that they have no authority to place a judgement, force him to refund my money or force the company to remove the misleading or false advertising. The BBB has been in touch with the owner several times and asked him to provide the promised statements from any other of the four participants that would substantiate that the Guiding Service provided what was promised or provided what was depicted on their website. Instead, what was provided was a nonsensical rambling inferring that if the other participants were to provide statements that they would all backup his claims that the trip was everything and more, he also stated that the reason I was unsatisfied with the service he provided was because I have no hunting skills.

The BBB gave his company a D rating and referred me to the Attorney General's Office. The complaint was sent to the AG's Office, the AG stated that they have no authority to place a judgement, force him to refund my money or force the company to remove the misleading or false advertising from his website. The AG has been in touch with the owner and asked him to provide the promised statements from any other of the four participants that would substantiate that the Guiding Service provided what was promised or provided what was depicted on their website. Instead, what was provided was the same nonsensical rambling inferring that if the other participants were to provide statements that they would all backup his claims that the trip was everything and more, he also stated that the reason I was unsatisfied with the service he provided was because I have no hunting skills.

The BBB sent me an e-mail a week ago stating that a response was sent from the Guiding Service. When I opened the attachment it was the same rambling nonsensical letter he had previously sent a month earlier.

The case remains unresolved and the D rating for C.P.'s Guiding Service stands.

For those of you with similar experiences I recommend sending your complaints to the BBB and AG's Office. They may not be able to get your money back but at least anyone looking into using that service will think twice.

4th of Apr, 2011

Was on the last Northern Zone hunt with their service. The owner or guide took the boat and left us alone for almost a full day so he could drive his son back to Cooperstown for school that morning. The next day he asked us to leave a day early because he heard the forecast for the next morning was severe thunderstorms. He had already started taking down the camp and putting everything in his boat so we thought he was serious about the storms... We left a day early without refund and the next day was clear, sunny and almost 60 degrees.

I would not recommend his service either...

21st of Apr, 2011

Boycott C.P.'s Guiding Service. If the Owner hasn't attempted to resolve by offering a refund whether full or partial then there must be some merit to the complaint. There is a D rating which means the complaintant tried to amicably resolve but the owner did not.

If this is the way the owner runs his business than maybe he should be out of business.

• St
      3rd of Aug, 2011

I hunted spring turkeys at Chris's place near Richfield Springs for three years straight. I will say that the turkey hunting is pretty good, depending on your guide. Chris himslef guides turkey hunts and his clients seemed to do okay. He employed another guide named Mitch who is excellent and I hunted with Mitch all three years. But beyond those two, other guides were not very successful. The problem is that each guide has to bring with him his own properties to hunt. The guides do not share each others properties. As such, some guides wind up taking CP clients to public hunting land. Needless to say, these clients didn't fare very well. These other guides did not put in the time or effort roosting birds on public land which was miles away from the lodge.

As for the accomodations, I found them to be comfortable. Not spartan but also not the Ritz. The meals were fine back then. Chris' wife would get up early and cook a full breakfast and lunch was always a hot meal. I understand that Chris and his wife may be going through a divorce, which may be causing his guiding service to suffer. I never used his services for anything other than turkeys so I can't speak to the northern hunts for deer, bear, etc. But my advice to those who are interested in guided deer and bear hunts, is to go to place that have better deer and bear populations. If you want a bear, go to Maine. I recommend Dave Hentosh of Smoldering Lake Outfitters. If you want a decent chance at a big deer, go to Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Texas where deer densities are higher. New York's winters and coyotes are hard on its deer populations.

In the guided hunting business, you often get what you pay for. If you only paid $1, 000 for a deer/bear hunt, that is cheap. You would pay that much for a glorified camping trip to merely enjoy the sights and sounds of nature. While I regret hearing that some of Chris' clients were dissatisfied, I remind everyone to do their homework and ask for references before booking a hunt. I would continue to recommend his services for turkey hunting, presuming he is still in business.

Strutter Slayer

5th of Oct, 2011

I will be giving it a try this November 2011, I will let everyone know the truthful results. I have experience with one other guide service in NY and never went back. And one in Canada which I highly recommend Macfarlanes Sporting Camps in New Brunswick, Canada for black bear.

• Mi
      10th of Oct, 2011

Hey JoePoe a.k.a Strutter Slayer

Can you post the trophy pictures of your catch when you write the {quote} truthful results {unquote}

• Ju