CPA Disaster Aid Kit / unauthorized bank transaction

1 OH, United States Review updated:

I received a pop up that said I won a prize which was a disaster aid kit and all I needed to do was pay the shipping and handling fee of $3.99. I did and the kit came. Today I see a $99.95 unauthorized charge made out of my checking account. I never was shown terms and conditions for this transaction either.
The account never keeps much in it and this also sent my account to overdrawn status.
I contacted the company and talked to Judy Reynolds. I let her know the conversation was being taped. I was denied the right to speak to a manager, the owners name and someone other then her since she could not help me. She just repeated that all complaints need to go through the billing department. She said there was no phone for the billing department and she had no one else to contact so the only way was to send off an email.
I contacted the bank and they are working with me to investigate this company and report the issue. I just left a message with my attorney as well, if I do not see my refund I will move forward from there.
What a scam! BEWARE

Comments

8th of Feb, 2010

Same thing happened to me. I was offered free kit for 3.99, then charged 99.95. I called customer support number and told I had to send email to billing and would receive response within 24 hours. The free offer was generated as a part of frequent user of son's school textbook resource website, so I thought it was legit.

I should be within the window of 15 days to return product, but have to get the RMA number before I send back. Total scam!

8th of Feb, 2010

I got vague response from them but no RMA number. Notice that they don't even say who the charges are from, like they left it out purposely. Unbelievable!

"This email confirms that you have been canceled from the membership program as of 2/8/2010.

You will not receive any further charges from .

Thank you for using our product!

Customer Support Staff"

• 1u
      12th of Feb, 2010

The same thing happen to me. I received a pop up as well a sight a frequent quite a bit. I believe it was from my banking website. So, i figured it was legit and paid 1.00 plus 3.99. I am yet to received the product but my account was charged 99.95. I immediately contacted my banking dept and they will be researching. This is awful.

• Ha
      12th of Feb, 2010

The same scam happened to me and I found the Disaster kit to be a total joke. I called the number that is on my bank invoice and all I get is music playing. So I filed a coplaint with my bank and the BBB. Are there any suggestions as to who else I should contatct?

• Ib
      13th of Feb, 2010

I have just experienced the same scam and did not recall any terms and conditions that I supposedly agreed to. What a decietful fraud! The kit is worth no more than the 3.99 handling fee I already paid and have also been drawn an additional $99.95, unauthorized from my account. I will be contacting my bank and you can bet I will fight for my money back! What is this $99.95 supposed to be paying for anyway?

• Al
      17th of Feb, 2010

William The same thing has happened to me also. while looking at my bank statement online a pop up came up about a diaster aid kit for $3.99. I did purchase the aid kit for $3.99. The next thing I know there is a charge for $99.95 on my account what the hell is this for? I will be contacting my bank to get my money back. WHAT A SCAM.

• Ka
      26th of Feb, 2010

The same thing happened to me.
    They asked for me to pay $3.99 for shipping of the kit. Once they had my banking info the next three days $99.95 was taken out of my account, sending it into overdraft. I would never authorise a withdrawl in that amout when I am presently unemployed. I only pay my bills with this account. Now no one wants to take action on this situation and they keep making excuses and I need to have a refund!

Karenbrooklyn1

1st of Apr, 2010

S0unds like a broken record. I too responded to a pop-up for a disaster kit for $3.99 shipping and handling but was never told that I had to make a purchase. A charge for $95.00 came up on my credit card account company as soon as I received the bill. The joke of it is I never did receive the disaster kit. I called he credit card company and they will credit my account. There should be a way to block dishonest companies.