Cox Communications / poor employee communication and customer service

1 Virginia Beach Virginia, VA, United States

First of all, when you call these people for a service request, make sure you understand that it will be 3-5 business days before they get to you. That being said, when I first moved to this apartment, I was told that it would be approximately five business days before I could reestablish services at my new address. Fine. I put up with it, and was so thrilled on the day of when my cable and internet were accessible again.
All was well for about a week, and then my cable started to act funky. I could access the guide, but when I clicked on a show, all I could get was a message saying that it was "Temporarily Off Air." I called, and a service technician was sent out--three business days later. He did a wonderful job of troubleshooting, told me that the levels of reception were too low in our apartment, and that another man would have to come out a few days later to put in a new line. NO MENTION OF NEEDING A LETTER OF PERMISSION! Call me ignorant if you'd like, I don't care. I've never had to deal with it before, and it was their job to fully inform me of my obligations in all of this!
So, the second technician came out a few days later. He looked around for a few minutes, THEN told me about needing the letter of permission. He was a little snotty about it too.
I was frustrated, but thanked him for the time.
A few days later, on the day of the THIRD appointment. I was desperate because our internet was going out, too, and as a SAHW with my husband being in the Navy and on frequent underways, I depend on the internet to get everything done. I ended up speaking with a woman in the customer service department. The only thing I wanted to know was if I was under a contract with them. That's all. "Well, ma'am, no, you're not, but may I inquire as to why you're asking?" Just a simple "yes" or "no" would have sufficed! That's MY personal information, and I should NOT be subjected to questioning as to why I want to know!
So, I told her. I told her that if it wasn't resolved on that day, I would be disonnecting my service and switching to Direct T.V. She then informed me that she heard tension in my voice and to make sure that when the service tech came out, to ensure that I very "respectfully" and "politely" explained my concerns. Ooooooooh! I was 36 weeks pregnant at the time, I was babysitting an infant who cries all the time, a five year old, and my daughter is two!!! Of COURSE I was tense! But I can guarantee that I was polite to her...I was trying to explain to her that I had NO intention whatsoever of taking my frustration out on the service guy as my dad was a contractor who had to put up with @$$holes all the time! No foul language was used, I was speaking to her the same way I would want to be spoken to, because I also recognized that it was NOT her fault that this mess was happening!
What does this woman do? Informs me again that she heard tension in my voice, and again, to be nice and respectful to the technician, and blah, blah, blah...
I cut her off and said "Ma'am, I do NOT need a lecture from YOU on how to treat people! God bless, and have a nice day!" Then, I very nicely and respectfully hung up on her, something I very rarely do.
We now have Direct T.V., and I get our internet through AT&T.
Hey Cox, if any of you read this, know that I would have been a customer of your even now had there been better communications between your workers and me, and had this lady not lectured me the way she did. I was a faithful customer since 2005.
One last thing: I'm 29 years old. I'm not a child. And this woman really overstepped her bounds.

Pa