Cox Communications / unauthorized surcharges and assorted overcharges

I've been a customer for several years (There's no choice in my area.. Cox is sole provider)

And between the price increases, the poor service, the bait/switch (They count the hd channel lineup (Which is exactly the same content/channels of the regular lineup) in their listing of number of channels for consumer viewing..In reality it is half that.. )

Changing the service so that they increase the prices by now requiring boxes on every tv in the house (Of course at separate prices.. So if you have 2 tvs, its now double the cost)..

The latest is an unannounced price gouging..

Cox calls it broadcast surcharge and regional sports surcharge
(I specifically don't subscribe to sports channels.. I do not want to pay for something I will never use and I definitely don't want to pay surcharges for that which I never asked for nor signed up for in the first place)

None of these additional price gouging is even communicated to the customer via any notifications.. It just shows up in the bill!!

When I go to the customer chat upon seeing this price gouging and new 'surcharges' on the latest bill.. The only answer on their customer service chat is this where the agent admits that it is not in my previous bills and I was not notified

"i don't see any notice on your previous bills. I do apologize for this inconvenience"

(Hello.. It is an overcharge and price gouging.. Not an 'inconvenience'.. I asked to have the charges removed)

What was the response from the chat line?

"i can't remove it. The only way will be by removing the tv essentials pack"

(Since when is the sports channels now in 'essentials'? That is also not what I signed up for at all! They never were part of my lineup)

Again.. I told the agent to remove the price gouging overcharges

Here's cox's reply..
"keep the pack and keep the charge".. "i can't remove the charge. "

Then there is the fact that they are doubling down on this price gouging.. By not just putting it as a line item (Which is only on the printed bill.. Not in their system (Cox even admits only some customers are being gouged in this manner.. That means me) )

By putting this 'surcharge' also in the taxes section of the bill.. So now instead of this..
"broadcast surcharge $4.00 and regional sports surcharge $4.00 for a total of $8.00"

That is also added to the taxes portion of the bill..

(Meaning that the nature of this new price gouging is increasing the bill a total of $16 per month.. Yes, per month!!!)

And what was cox's reply here???

"we introduced the surcharge to better enable customers to track how the increasing costs of carrying sports programming drives the total cost of their tv service higher above and beyond what would normally be reflected in periodic rate adjustments"

(In other words.. Intentional defrauding and price gouging of the customer.. No notice at all to the customer.. And they don't care that they are gouging the customer)

So.. By doing this.. Cox increased the taxes portion of the bill by over 21%.. They doubled down on this gouging and defrauding customers by an additional 6% on the tv service with unannounced surcharges..
Defrauding the customer by counting the same channels of broadcast twice (Meaning that their lineup is half of what you expect.. )

And even with the required box now on each device - - only half the line-up is available at any time (And the quality of the tv service is poor).

Add on top of this the lousy customer service and refusal to stop gouging customers with increases

• Updated by sglmomof2, Feb 07, 2017

bottom line: this Price Gouging unauthorized/unapproved "Surcharges" is intentional fraud of the consumer and it is Cox's way of going around the regulatory process to increase the bills withOUT having to go through the utilities committees, hearing process, regulatory review and government approval.

This amounts to an additional $200 or more annually ADDED onto the bill withOUT authorization at all ..

Sg
Feb 07, 2017

Comments

• Ta
      Apr 04, 2017

Same thing happening here!

• Ca
      May 12, 2018

[protected]
    I agree entirely. COX is the only choice and is the only viable provider here in San Diego, CA. ATT internet with DirecTV is available but their internet speeds are very limited and only available in certain areas. Other providers are available but very limited and at low speeds. COX knows this and they know they're really the only high-speed internet provider available. Recently, I contacted COX to drop my TV part of the bundle and have only internet. My $131/mo COX bill would drop by only $10 and I would still be paying $120/mo for internet only because they say its part of the "bundle" savings. I wish Google fiber was available. Only then you would see COX change their tune and begin to drop rates and get realistic. There is no competition to COX in San Diego.

• Jc
      May 16, 2018

My new bill shows an increase in this new "Regional Sports Surcharge" to $13.60 and I don't even watch sports! If anyone successfully fights this, please share. Thank you!

• Ni