Countrywide Periodicals / Did not say yes or give my card # and they still charged it

We recieved a phone call trying to confirm an order for magazines and we hung up on them. one hour later I was trying to pay a bill and $50.00 was taken from my card. I never authorized this or gave them my card number. I have four kids and have a hard enough time staying above ground as it is.

Comments

• Ri
      16th of May, 2010

i just found out i too was a victim of countrywide periodical in the amount of $29. for something i didn't authorize! now i can't get anybody to answer my calls!

• Ri
      16th of May, 2010

after calling this company again and again, i finally get a hold of a sales representative disclaiming any scam. i'm on unemployment and this company somehow obtained my debit card number for $29.30 for something i didn't authorize or even talk to anybody about. how can somebody access the unemployment division of any state? now i either have to wait and see if they try to take my money or cancel my card and wait another week for a new card and or wait fifteen working days to see if they try to take my money! pissed to say the least!!!

• Te
      30th of Mar, 2011

They did almost the same to me. I did not order the books and did not give them my check card #, but for Feb and March my card had been deducted 66.41 for each month. When I finally found the phone number she said I did order them and I would have to pay 66.41 for a year. I immedicately changed all my bank info and got another account but she said that they could still get the money.
    What other step can I take to take these people down. Like the guy about I am retired and donot have money for magazines like this.
    I made her mad when I told her that she would not get my money, and she kept saying she would too. Her name is Tara and she said that she was the manager and the CEO was never there. Oh, and I have not as of yet received any of the magazines and she said that I ordered them in Jan.

• Ha
      5th of May, 2011

They just got me today for $#3.20, and i have a 2 month old son. i really needed that money. and i have no clue how i am going to do this now.

• Ha
      5th of May, 2011

i meant $33.20

• Ka
      12th of Oct, 2011

This happened to me too! I did not realize any charges until I got an email from my old bank saying that my account was overdrawn. When I went and looked I saw charges of $66.41. I never authorized these charges and now my account is overdrawn $182. I cannot get a hold of anyone at the company and I cannot afford to pay this every month.

3rd of Jul, 2012

1st of all to all you haters out there we cant get your credit card information without speaking to somebody that answered your phone which we assumed was you because we asked for you. 2nd of all, all you have to do is say no we give you 3 opportunities to say no. And 3rd if somebody other then yourself got your information and gave it to us why would'nt you go after that person. Why don't you people take responsibility for your actions. Instead of blaming everybody else and regards to the person who mentioned the elderly my gramma was 95 years old when she passed and the best time of the month was when her magazines arrived at her front door and she didn't have the means to get to store to buy them so grow up PEOPLE!

11th of Feb, 2018

@mag peddler My mom is 89, and doesn't read much. Even when she does, she pretty much only reads one page; because, she forgets what she has read by the time she gets to the bottom of the page and has to start over. In your case, I hope that their is balance in the universe, and that when you realize your Karma, it doesn't hurt too much.

• Lu
      31st of Aug, 2012

To the comment above, You make some since but were do you get off as a professional representing Your company bashing anyone and Hater may have not been the word you wonted to use broaden your vocabulary. As the rest of these concerned customers, I am as well a concerned customer just like the majority of these customers I to feel as if I almost got ripped off. I was told by Jason that I was to receive a diamond watch and a free subscription to a number of magazines only having to pay for 3 magazines out of 7 it was worded to me as if the 16 dollars and some change would be taken out once a month. I was on my bank web site and saw were my card was pending $66.41, I did not understand why that much was being taken out so I contacted my bank cancelled my card filed a fraudulent charge to my account. I contacted the number that was on my account for customer service at countrywide periodicals the lady that answered the phone was dawn I told her my problem she told me that they tell you that the full 66.41 will come out from the beginning.
    I told her I have a daughter and a wife to take care off on a part time job I would have never agreed to pay 66.41 at a 300 dollar every two weeks job. I cancelled the magazines and I am waiting for the money that is suppose to post back in to my account in 10 days I hope. BUT one question still remains for Mr haters above why do all your customers still have no watch no millions and no magazines. To me everyone of your customers are worst off than they were before you and your company contacted them.

• Co
      6th of Feb, 2013

Well they got my daughter for $77, the first time and $594 the second time. She is young and learning, but they "bullied her" into believing that somehow she authorized something, they had her on recorded session and they would ruin her credit...she hung up but she did not authorize any money, but they got $594 from her. Isn't that awful. I am her mother, and I updated her on scammers, and never do business with anyone on the phone you have not initiated, or can validate it is a lawful business! She got her money back, from the back, but I am sad for those who don't have any resources to let them know what their legal recourse is. Of course, after the fact I asked her, did they ever send you a bill. She said not. They told her she won a watch, and they got her credit card because it was for the shipping and handling and that she also won free magazines. Never been billed, never a change to cancell any miscommunication of goods received or shipped, they are just cons and swindlers. Please do not talk to them...hang up, don't give out any personal information whatsoever!

11th of Feb, 2018

I was called a couple of years ago. The agent told me I was being given the opportunity to cancel the following year's subscriptions and wanted my credit card number. He continued to press when I told him I had not subscriptions. He still needed my credit card number to cancel, and I told him since I have a subscription then you must already have it. He asked several questions about my location and my card, then asked if It was the card ending in "****." He was correct about the first four digits. At the time, I didn't know the first four are pretty are card type and bank. Regardless, his credibility rose enough for me to give him the number. I didn't think till later, that your companies could be getting your client lists from cyber thieves.

The agent was very well trained to be cunning, evasive, and fast talking-slick. I consider myself a competent communicator and critical thinker, and he still conned me. I replayed the conversation in my head, and wrote out as much as I could remember. I went to the computer, an hour later, and found a pending $54.00 charge on the card, even though I had repeatedly told your hatchet-man, NO! I spent the better part of the next two days on the phone, and finally found a supervisor who cancelled the transactions.

So, you can cut the crap. You know what your company is doing; and I don't call a $500.00 dollar a year subscription to perhaps $200.00 of subscriptions available through the publisher, any kind of a deal.

A couple of months ago your agent called my mother. She is 89, confined to a wheelchair, and in the early stages of dementia. Good for you! You sold her some magazines. I happened to be around, and tried to stop her while she was on the phone getting hooked and landed. Since I try not to go up against her demented belligerence, I gave up. So I am a "wuss."

She is preparing to move into a nursing home. I have told her she lost the bank card she used to pay for this, and will replace it when she gets there. Medicare and Medicaid will be taking all of her income, before they pick up the balance of the cost of care. Try and collect from nothing. If you call me, know that I am aware of the legal parameters of debt collection. Please violate them with me.

By the way I don't use hate. However, I have no use for predators in my back yard. Yours is the sort of predatory company that violates all sense of honor, fair play, integrity, compassion, humanity, and dignity; and to MAG PEDDLER, If, in your hubris, you continue to malign your victims, you can go crawl back in your hole before you harm anyone else.

11th of Feb, 2018

@Kyosaku Not "asked if It was the card ending in "****." " but "beginning in"