Cottonwood Futons / Poor service!

I ordered a frame,mattress and cover from this company. A box containing the rails, instructions and parts was lost in shipping via FedEx. Two boxes arrived with 2 slats w/chipped wood pcs., one slat had 2 splits in the wood lending it unsound structurally and the left arm end pc was missing a support part -4 pcs all together. (Some of the wood was warped and screws not in completely.) I took good pics and reported it via email and phone. No response to my email and the machine said they would call in 48 hrs, I left word and waited, no call back. (I learned from BBB they had 39 complaints in 36 mos. some they never responded to.) I called again got a young guy who said I had the warehouse and they did not decide what to do. Meanwhile I discovered the mattress was 2" of foam, 4 1/2" in width; I ordered the Deluxe w/ 4" foam, 7" cotton, 6-8" wide. The mattress cover was for a much larger mattress and it was sewn wrong w/ remnant pcs. No response to my email so I called again. This time the woman told me they had sent my replacement pieces and would be sending an email with the tracking and then said she did not know. I received no emails again. I reported the mattress and cover and they did tell me I had the right ones then nothing somemore. After 10-14 days I asked them for return author and full refund then they started having fun w/ me. They said they would immediately send the replacements, they told me 3 different times more and the last that they had and would send an email to confirm. Next they said only the warehouse could decide if they would replace parts and they would call to decide which ones were "problematic". They never called. When I asked why they said I told them I was tired. I told them they needed to make the order good. They said to ship the goods back and even after it shipped, they did give me return author, they continued to say they would be glad to replace the parts. They told me they were charging me their shipping charges to send it to me including the box I never received. And they did, $106.40 it cost me to work w/ them. I have contacted the AG of WI. I am interested to see how Shawna came out.

More Cottonwood Futons Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Su
  17th of Aug, 2007

I am having my own problems with Cottonwood Futons and wish I had read this comment before purchasing. I ordered a futon frame which didn't arrive after two weeks. Within that time, I called them three times for status reports. They informed me that they didn't have contact with the other warehouse and were unable to give me a reason why it was taking so long. They then told me not to worry as they were sure it would show up the next day or two. I finally received an email from them saying that the item was out of stock and I would not receive it at all (my out of town company slept on the floor).

I ordered a different frame. It came quickly, but with incorrect parts and directions. I called the number on the directions page and it is incredibly difficult to get in touch with them. When I sent Cottonwood an email explaining my repeated disappointment with their service they sent me this email..."You need to call technical support at 800.656.6730... we are not trained to handle these types of problems ..." They are clearly not trained to handle much of anything.

I will be contacting the BBB about this if my new frame and its parts are not taken care of immediately. Thanks for your email, Kathy.

Do
  7th of Jun, 2011

These idiots at Cottonwood Futons have been treating me and my wife like crap ever since we gave them almost $500 for a cheap piece of crap futon. The tools needed for assembly were not included, the instructions were vague, the screws did not fit in the holes, and the holes were not drilled in-line, so the screws all stripped. I called and they said they would send replacement parts that day. A week passed. We called again today and they said "The parts will go out today". Yeah, I believed that. I then left a message with some course language and a veiled threat, and got a call back within 5 minutes. The current status is that they will ship us the parts by FedEx today. I will believe it when I see it. The issue here is that every company tries to save money by farming work out to China or some other third world country. The wood part of the futon was made in Indonesia (correctly), and the metal parts and mattress were made in China. The only part of the entire transaction that was US based was the shipping. In future, I will check out any company I do business with online thoroughly before buying. My next call will be to the Wisconsin BBB. I will also post on Facebook so none of my friends will make the same mistake I did. Caveat emptor! Pat W.