Cosumer Portfolio Services / My Car Payment

Irvine, CA, United States Review updated:
I purchase my car from CPS in 2006..I tried to make my payments every month..I got behind 125.00 because I don't have insurance and had to go to the doctor, so I used the money for doctors' visit , medicine and blood work. I told CPS that I would catch my payment up with the next due payment the following month....they continued to call everyday at my home and I would tell them the same thing, they continued to call my work, people that knew me and really didn't know me. I ask them not to call my job because they had my phone number. They were very nasty all the time when they called. On October 25 someone called my job and said that they were looking for my car...they told this to the receptionist at my job. When I came home I called them, they told me that I couldn't afford the car and need to give it up! At this point I was physically and mentally tired of them calling and told them to come get it! I spoke with someone named Mel and she was really nasty..but after I had told them to come get it....she was ready to make arrangements....they turned it over to the recovery department anyways....the phone calls subsided for awhile...I called and talk with some woman named Mckinze...said she was handling my account..I ask her is I could pay the 125.00 to catch my payment up for Sept. and she said they needed 250.00 that day! She said go borrow it! She was nasty also. However on November 16, I got all the money together and paid it by money gram. I am now caught up with my payments until Dec. ...These peoples way of collecting payments are very nasty. I even try to get them to change my due dates and they wouldn't. Are these people allowed to call your job when you ask them not too. I live in a small town and they have called people that I don't associate with. CPS has a bad reputation, they don't know how to treat people at all!

Comments

He
  20th of Dec, 2007
I also have my car financed thru CPS and totally agree with you... as to the work question... they are NOT allowed to call you at work. They did that with my husband and even went so far as to send faxes to his work. Please look up debt collection laws. Once they are told to stop calling a number or told to take the number off your account .. they have to... and please keep recordings of all messages.. we have but they dont know it.. yet.
Me
  20th of Dec, 2007
I have the same problem and they can actually get a lawsuit against them if they continue to call your work and you have told them not to! I worked for a company like this before and I know the procedures... They have to discontnue the calls at work regardless if they have an alternate # for you or not.

I have the same problem with CPS! They will not work with paymnet arrangements with me or deferments to get me caught up.

Someone needs to stop these people from treating us (their customers) like this!!!