Costco Wholesale Corporation / employee being discriminatory

I was at the Signal Hill, CA Costco waiting near the door for my boyfriend as he was getting a shopping cart. I observed other customers walking in without showing or being asked to present their Costco membership card. Upon my entrance Cassie (the Costco employee at the front door) discriminated against me and with bias only asked me to show my Costco card. I felt that she singled me out because she was Mexican and I was Asian. She did not ask ANYONE else for their card.

When I mentioned this to Kevin (the manager on duty), he said some people have their cards out already. I explained I was standing there observing that they did not have their cards out and no one else was being asked to show one because I was standing there waiting for my boyfriend. He said policy is to always ask.

I have been going to Costco many years and rarely am stopped and asked to present my card. This year I have been to the Monterey, Manhattan Beach, Torrance, and Signal Hill, California stores and this was the only time I was asked to show my card. It's not a consistent store policy. Nevertheless, my issue is that I was subjectively discriminated and singled out by Cassie.

If you have cameras, you can check that today, December 30, 2017 that Cassie did not check everyone's card because I was standing there observing it. This was between 1 and 2 pm.

Jo
Dec 30, 2017

Comments

• Su
      30th of Dec, 2017

Maybe she recognized them as customers

• Po
      31st of Dec, 2017

How long did you stand there and watch? At my local Costco, they often check member cards at random. Also, it may have been possible that the employee recognized some of the customers she saw.