Costco / using ebt card

1 Pompano Beach, FL, United States Review updated:

I had such an awefull time this evening at Costco (Pompano Beach, FL).
My family is an EBT card holder and I have been using the EBT card at other locations but this evening I was denied the ability to use the card because the name on the EBT card is not a member. I advised the Manager that there is only 1 EBT card issued per family, each family member does not receive an individual card(at least in Florida). The Manager insist that it cannot be done. So, I added his name to account and remove another household memeber, then she said he had to be there now. His name was already listed as a previous household member and she saw that. Why give me a hassle?
Come on, it's an EBT card, I need a PIN to use it. When I use my husband's debit card or anybody's debit card; no one asks to see my debit card at the register.
After all this time, they now decide to accept EBT cards and then to have EBT cardholders go through this hassle.
Why are they making it so difficult to use the EBT cards? The entire household receives 1 EBT card (my household consists of 3 adults and 2 kids) and my Costco membership only allows 2 household members per membership.
I asked the Manager if I need to carry the letter from Department of Children and Families showing my household composition with my name on it, she completely ignored my question.
I don't have a choice, the State of Florida would not issue another EBT card for the same household.
I personally believe the manager just wanted to prove a point of authority because all she was saying is that he has to be a member and when I told her well go ahead and add him (because she saw he was previously on the account) she then changed her story and said he had to be there now.

Ba

Comments

• Pe
      5th of Mar, 2010

there is so much fraud with ebt cards i appreciate costco requiring the name be on both the membership and ebt card, you are suffering at the hands of those who defraud the system not from costco they are just doing what every other other merchant should be doing.

Do you really think the argument that you have to use a pin number holds water? I guess those are never shared right??? By the way you should not be using anyone elses debit card either...Why dont you get your own????

• Bo
      21st of Dec, 2018

@peoplerdumb Idiot on parade!

• Th
      27th of Jul, 2010

EBT cards are sold every where so that the owner can get cash that they can spend anyway they want instead of buying what they should be buying for their family. It should be required by the state of Florida and I am sure that it is, that the owner of the card is the only one to use it. It is also required by law if you are to return anything purchased with an ebt vard that it be refunded to that card.

8th of Dec, 2018

@the customer isn't always right Since when are EBT cards sold? You have to go on public assistance to be assigned one.

8th of Dec, 2018

@naere Sure but the cards are not legitamitely sold. You can not go to the gift card section of the rite aid and stock up.

8th of Dec, 2018

@Mrs Bean I think he means on the streets. With all the crack and gun dealers ect.

8th of Dec, 2018

@First Born Triplet I know exactly what he means. Still, the cards have photographic proof of the card holder! So how can anyone do that anymore?

• Ge
      4th of Aug, 2010

im not sure why youre complaining. they store is protecting itself, and the card holder against fraud.

• Da
      14th of Sep, 2010

Holier than thou types make me ill.

The OP has a very valid point. Usually, the head of household is the person in who's name the EBT card is issued. The government only issues the card in one person's name. If that person has a full time job and their spouse is working at home taking care of the kids, is it fair that the spouse can't shop while the cardholder is at work?

The point of having the pin is that it can be given to trusted family members. It is very difficult to steal a card and be able to use it. Certainly there is fraud, but it's really not Costco's job to regulate that. If I can take my sister's debit card into Costco and use it, there's no reason that I shouldn't be able to use my own family's EBT card.

Those who are talking about Fraud. Are you suggesting that debit and credit cards aren't used fraudulently occasionally? Then why doesn't Costco, or any other store I've been to, require that i show ID when I use my debit card? Hell, McDonald's doesn't even require me to sign or use a pin!

Are you suggesting that it's fair to punish and inconvenience honest, law-abiding people because of the actions of criminals? Okay. Then let's say that no one can have guns because a criminal might use a gun to commit a crime. This would be a logical application of your argument.

She isn't using "someone else's EBT card" she is using the EBT card that is supplied, one per family. It belongs to her, her name just isn't on it. As long as she has the pin, then she shouldn't be hassled about it.

And for you that said "Oh, and get a job" ... I cannot express the amount of contempt I have for you. You dare to, in this economy, say something like that? I hope you lose your job, and I hope you lose your house, and I hope that you find yourself without money and without hope. Perhaps then, you might be able to experience compassion for another human being, you rotten husk of a supposed person.

I am glad that I know that you trolls aren't the majority of humanity. I don't think I could take it if you were.

• Ri
      25th of Jan, 2011
    Best Best Advice +22 Votes

I'm sorry you had such an awful experience. You should have been able to use your EBT card because it requires a pin. I will apologize for the insensitive and ignorant strangers posting that you need to get a job, telling you to get your own card (although you explained that policy is one card per family with only one name being allowed on that card) and claiming you were using someone else's card (when you were clearly using the one issued to your household). For those who don't understand and are quick to judge let me explain to you how the system works. If a household is issued an EBT card, that household will only get one card with one person's name on that specified card (regardless if there are two or four adults who live there). That card requires a PIN for every transaction for the very reason that there may be more than one adult who needs to use it. Yes there are fraudulent people out there but this is policy. bad4so should have been able to use her card because it was issued to that household. This is not a bash board and more respect and understanding needs to be learned. Understand why this person is so upset and that Costco actually stepped out of line. This is not a credit card and doesn't not require ID as long as the back of that card is signed and the correct PIN is used.

• Sm
      22nd of Aug, 2011

SOME PPL HAVE JOBS AND THOSE JOBS JUST DON'T PAY ENOUGH. YOU ARE A HORRIBLE PERSON FOR JUDGING WHAT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. YOU CAN MAKE $20 AN HR IN FLORIDA AND STILL BE CONSIDERED POOR. FACT. THAT PAY IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO ENOUGH TO.CARE FOR A SMALL FAMILY. SO YOU SIR NEED TO FIND A HEART AND DITCH YOUR OBVIOUS IGNORANCE.

8th of Dec, 2018

@smurfy1977 You can't afford to write full words? What is this a tombstone?

11th of Apr, 2012

Come on... There are rules when you shop at a Warehouse...
    You have to be a member for one...
    Two, what's up with using an EBT card anyway??
    Three, people who use those DAMN cards act like the world revolves around them
    and it really becomes irritating...

"Get a DAMN job!"

16th of Dec, 2018

@margobaccellia You're an ass! I had a very good job, but ended up with Lupus and had to have emergency surgery. I lost my job, spent my savings and needed help. I COULDN'T get a job because I had both knees and one hip replaced all at one time. It wasn't a matter of getting a job, ut was the issue of inability to work due to NO FAULT of my own. So, may you lose your job and see exactly what it is like to have to ASK for help, because you've exhausted EVERY resource you have!

• Co
      17th of Jan, 2014

First off costco requires anyone using a card no matter what the card is be it ebt/credit debit etc. To have they're own Costco card they cannot allow someone who is not a member to use they're card it's policy. Every Costco, every state. It has nothing to do with it being an ebt card like previously stated they do it to debit card holders as well if the names don't match they don't check out. I wish people would stop taking it out on Costco employees they are just trying to do there jobs something these people obviously have
    No idea what that's like. I'm not judging everyone that has ebt because I do know that some people are using it to supplement they're income but when I see these people coming in to buy lobster and alcohol with they're ebt/cash aide it makes me sick I work hard and I cannot afford even one lobster! I see people everyday with 6-8 kids and they are buying nothing but junk it makes me wonder if they are just having kids for the money I'm sure that's not true but it makes you question peoples motives like what is a 5 year old going to do with a new York steak abd a bottle of tequila? honestly!

• Co
      15th of Jun, 2014

First off @concernedpatriot you cant not purchase any alcohol with an ebt card! 2nd you are totaly missing the point the person has a card. But the person that has the ebt card, thier name is different than the person that has the Costco card.. Still not understanding the person that has the Costco card, there name is part of the ebt case, so even though their name is not on the ebt card they are one and the same, if it be 2 people or 7 people only 1 person gets their name on the ebt card but it is good for however many people the ebt case says its good for 1-10 or however many. And people who get ebt cards cant afford to buy extra membership cards for everyone in their household.. i think that would be more disturbing to me than buying junk food or really good food for their family's to eat and enjoy. You say your not judging but then you judge, , you dont live within those walls so you should not have said anthing at all..

• La
      9th of Feb, 2017

@conceredcitizen First off Concernedcitizen, you CAN use EBT to buy alcohol. The card also has a cash function, and if the cardholder gets a cash allowance (child support for instance) they can use that cash to buy booze.

• De
      10th of Aug, 2017

@LadyScot You can use EBT itself to buy alcohol if you so wish, but not EBT Food! And don't try to tell me you can, because I know for a fact you can not! You are probably referring to the EBT program CalWorks (or a similar name if you live in another state besides CA) which is a completely different program than Food-stamps and has a list of its own separate requirements. Also note, that in order to participate in this cash assistance based program the head of household must find work usually in a very limited timeframe.

So even though you didn't explicitly state it, no "lazy [censor] who don't have a job and are on food-stamps cannot buy alcohol" but you my good lady, are definitely a [censor], a rich snot nosed conceded one would be my guess :)

11th of Aug, 2017

@Deez Nuts 420 Actually, I know for a fact that you CAN indeed buy alcohol with the EBT function. It is ALL in how the retailer CODES the merchandise. Some shady retailers will code alcohol as FOOD (NTX) to get around this function. So don't even try to tell me something dude.

16th of Dec, 2018

@Wine Is Good Point...if you are buying alcohol with an ebt card, you are totally misusing the card. It's for FOOD TO FEED YOUR FAMILY, Not satisfy an addiction, want or desire!

17th of Dec, 2018

@So you say... but that is what many of them do! in fact, they dont really need ebt anyway because they do work -- they just know to work not on the books [so that uncle sam can't catch them working] cash money from work for their plasma tv's and money on food cards/section 8 so they can 'survive'. these people suck.

• Eb
      29th of Nov, 2014

Yes you can buy Alcohol and cigarettes using the EBT cash card. First the person walks up and says they want to use it as an ATM and get cash back. Once they get the cash they then say this is what I am buying. I have seen it done many times. I have also had them buy multiple cases of soda, water, cheese, eggs, milk, meat, bread... Just to name a few things.
    They then resale the items in their stores and restaurants. Oh if they also happen to be an executive member. They will get a check back at the end of the year . They can either cash it out, apply it to their membership(so membership is now free) or apply it to their order.

• Sh
      12th of Jan, 2015

People who don't receive food stamp benefits needs to stop hating on the people who do receive them. All these negative comments I believe its because you can't get food stampbenefits so you have to be mad with the one's who do receive them out of anger and frustration. Yes not all who receives the benefits are unemployed most have jobs so Iwwould say that they deserve some assistance since they do pay taxes to. People need to stop talking from out the side of their mouth and express more Love towards your neighbor. If people knew how to Love others I mean really Love others there will be no issues in this evil hateful world. Be Blessed! :-).

8th of Dec, 2018

@shaulamite 33 And some of the peyon public assistance needed to realize they are blessed and take care of themselves and use OUR money wisely.

• Oh
      26th of Jan, 2015

Lol lol at ignorance in the world today. I am a married woman with a job and my husband works as well. We have 7 beautiful children and we receive fs benefits. Unless in the state of AZ we make combined 6000 per month we qualify to do so. We buy healthy meals and snacks for the kids (mostly cheap chicken) and still need to apply cash and get food boxes. Not one of the kids is starving or obese. We are thankful for the supplement and i would like to give you a break down in how much "help" it is. 1315/7=187.86 a month per child 187.86/4=46.97 a week per child. Now seriously are we really living it up having kids for money?!!! Lol hell no and i didn't count the fact that my husband and I have to eat too! We have a Costco membership and we both have cards and I didn't sign for a membership so idk maybe we are blessed. My name is on the ebt card though and he uses it as he pleases. Move out of hurricane country and bring it to the desert folks are all poor here so there's empathy.

11th of Aug, 2017

@Oh SugaHoneyIceTea If you make $6000 per month, you can damn well support your kids without food stamps.

8th of Dec, 2018

@Wine Is Good Depends on how many kids they have.

8th of Dec, 2018

@naere As much as you want, since the invention of #GoFundMe.

8th of Dec, 2018

@naere Just start charging them for sex if you have ten kids different fathers you already played rock the castle with at least ten of them. $100 a go sounds about right.

8th of Dec, 2018

@First Born Triplet Naere is just joking. However, there are more and more people whose goal in life is to have 10 kids by the time they are 30. When you start at 15, you are off to a good start apparently.

11th of Dec, 2018

@Mrs Bean My comment was a joke too.

• St
      14th of Jul, 2015

Just for everyone who says "just get a job"...I'm a 22 year old college student who works 2 jobs, responsible enough to live on my own and pay bills. Yet despite making 11 an hour at both my jobs and working over fulltime...I still need food assistance.
    Yes, I've seen the other side where people are lazy and abuse the system. But not all who have ebt cards are like the latter.

8th of Dec, 2018

@stewart23 You being a college student automatically makes you eligible for public assistance.

There are plenty of people out there who spend their entire lives smoking weed, drinking booze and bumping uglies. Then comes the gentle game of push-your-kid-into-the-street so you can 1)sue the poor guy who didn't see your kid until it was too late and b) #gofundme. And you know the GoFundMe page will say how they lost their lawsuit when in fact they won.

Many people on P.A. suck as human beings.

• Sh
      18th of Oct, 2015

So many heartless people in the world.. Pretty said wen u see a homeless man cloth or feed someone else in need.. Experiment or not. U watch wealthy or just ur every day people walk right by and not even think twice... Heartless heartless people... Some aren't so lucky...

17th of Dec, 2018

@Shawn85 Well... I just saw three homeless people living on the sidewalk scrolling smartphones. Who paid for those? Who pays for the service and unlimited data plans?

Or... Are they not homeless?

14th of Dec, 2015

Get a job and you won't have to worry about EBT card issues.

16th of Dec, 2018

@FistedFace Tell that to a veteran who has served our country. I'd like to see your attitude afterwards! You need to get a soul!

17th of Dec, 2018

@So you say... dude, he posted that three years ago!

17th of Dec, 2018

@So you say... well, my sisters and their husbands all served in the most recent middle eastern fiasco numerous times and somehow they were all able to sustain their way of life. no government aid necessary.

there is a 'homeless' 'veteran' who lives on the streets [apparently] in nyc. his first sign i saw was: veteran... need 13 dollars to go to my brother's house in delaware [i presumed to live]. so i give him 25 on the spot -- for his bus ticket and money for a snack and a bottle of water or something.

the next month guess who i see again? this time with another sign about visiting his sick/dying father in south jersey. ??? so what about his brother??? i confronted him about the $ i gave him to go to his brother's house for a place to live. he stared at me shocked.

• St
      4th of Jan, 2016

Rules are rules. Why do you think you deserve a special exception?? I have observed that many people receiving public assistance believe that the rules do not apply to them. If you have one EBT card for the entire family then logic dictates you are doing the grocery shopping for the entire family. That being the case, you really only need ONE Costco card (and obviously the name should match that of the EBT card). Wasting the manager's time and bullying him/her in an attempt to get your way simply demonstrates selfishness and a lack of respect. I am relieved to hear the manager did not give in. Just get over it and stop whining.

• Di
      9th of Feb, 2017

@StructuralEngineer My husband is disabled and cannot leave the house except for dr appts...i am his full time caregiver...My husband and I have different last names as not all women change their last names...My husband is head of household because we live on his disability income so the EBT card has his name on it...There is no way for him to do any shopping at all...having a heart and not judging people would do a world of good for you...Judge not least you have walked in my shoes

16th of Dec, 2018

@Diane Anderson Rehor Webb Amen to that!

23rd of Jun, 2016

It may not be Costco's job to regulate fraud, but it is their right to protect themselves from it.

4th of Jul, 2016

I had a problems with costco as well. I am not a member of costco but I had went to purchase food with my EBT card ( Multiple times) and costco has setup the system to become unresposive/ malfuction to food stamp cards because of there social stand points and the market they are directing their service at, are wealthy people. I am very highly skilled in techonolgy and I know when a company is trying to make a statement and this is there way of telling the public who depend on food stamp and good deals, screw you. Costco customer service is not trained where I am located to even understand how to approach the situation with food stamps. I find this discusting to pull this kind of behavior on the public and I would LOVE. to take serious action against the entire costco corp. It is said to be publically humiliated for your disabilities and/ or need for financial assistance. I find it disgusting that there are people are really believe that people on public assistance or anything have nerv to "take advantage of the system" and think they have the right to tell a person what they should or should be allowed to buy ( food wise) on food stamps EBT. This kinds of people make me sick.

17th of Dec, 2018

@Andrew Cohen You bet we do! that is OUR money we GIFTED to you! you want to kill yourself with Doritos and tequila, do it on YOUR DIME!

4th of Jul, 2016

Also as I read threw the comments I see some arrogant S.O.B's do you not understand that you take your hatred out on the wrong people. You don't know anything about economics or business or government to even hate tbese people on government assistance. You don't have to be jobless to be on government assistance as long as you fit the guide lines which are different in each state you can work and qualify for government assistance you arrogant. As well yes it isn't Costco's job to say who they think is committing fraud or not and also you arrogant SOB they don't protect themselves from fraud becausr they are not a person no one can steal their identity by using someone elses info to make a purchase. You sound stupid! Anymore arrogant bull you want to say refur to what I said prior to this because to speaks on anymore ignorant trash that might come out of your mouth.

5th of Jul, 2016

Andrew Cohen, when a person uses a stolen card to purchase items from any retailer, who do you think loses the money and the goods? It is not the cardholder, it is the retailer. The card company will always protect the card holder from fraud. The retailer has no such protection. Therefore, they do have the right to put in place any policy that will protect their interests. Why does the consumer have that right but not the retailer? You are the one who sounds stupid because you do not understand simple economics. If I steal from you, do you have the right to get your stuff back? So does the store.