Costco / irritating business model

1 MD, United States Review updated:

Disservice to the customer: I have a number of beefs with Costco Wholesale. For years now I have gotten a type of bait and not switch from costco. Generally I find their own Kirkland Brand to be well priced and of good quality. On five occasions I basically got hooked on either a Kirkland Product or another mfg. product--hooked meaning it became a staple of or in my families' diet and then because of market conditions Costco has discontinued these products. OK business is business, so I called Costco, and explained that I drive 35 minutes each way to get to Costco and should they drop an item it would be nice to know in advance. No such luck was the response. Anyway to check online ahead of time to see what disappointment might await, ----- no luck the response. Are you interested in my complaint----- no not really is the response. Do you have some means for "members" (which should really be altered to privilege holders, we aren't members, members have some voice) to voice their likes, dislikes, desires, ---- answer----- no but thank you for wasting your time calling and giving me something to do for 3 minutes.
OK, with a deep breath and a big long extended o and extended k.
Last time at Costco: we have member cards via an arrangement we have with our employer. The gal with the task to get our yearly contribution forgot to get/solicit the contribution from me. I spend 65 minutes shopping and get up to the checkout: "your card expired this Tuesday" go to customer disservice. Where they told me I could pay $50 and buy my items. I retorted, I have had this card 7 years, there was a mix up and no $50 for you. Can I speak to a manager. The manager refused to allow me to check out by using someone elses card, even her card--go home, no food for you!! If I had been told, look guy I will get fired if I do that for you. I would have taken her response without doing much chewing of my own cud but just hearing no seemingly for the glee of it did not cut it.
There are probably 10 items, that I would really like to buy at Costco, for both price and quality but the "arrangement" is over, I can and am going elsewhere.

Mm

Comments

• Do
      1st of Mar, 2009

Posted: 2009-02-18 by MMO
    Irritating business model

Complaint Rating:
    Company information:
    Costco
    Maryland

=================================================================
    The problem is with YOUR EMPLOYER NOT COSTCO! What happens is, you don't give your employer the money in time, THEY will deactivate you from the account NOT COSTCO. The Costco employee only makes changes the the account per the primary person's request. There IS NO WAY for your card to be expired and the remainder of the account ok unless YOUR EMPLOYER REMOVED YOU...take it up with them.

• Mm
      2nd of Mar, 2009

So spending an hour shopping at a club you have belonged to for years, means nothing. The manager was right-"no food for you!". What a ridiculous response.

• Ne
      16th of Mar, 2009

You must be calm and respectful if you wish to be treated calmly and respectfully. It sounds like you have some issues and pent up negativity, and take it out on anyone in the way! I'll bet my lunch money for a week you have perfected rubbing people the wrong way and blaming others for every problem in your life. Anyone can detect this. Now...

If you treat people with kindness, and always with respect, it will come back at you tenfold! Next time you're in Costco, I recommend apologizing [meaningfully] to the people you treated badly, and you'll see they will go out of their way for you next time. If you want to change the Costco Business Model, put in a constructive suggestion and you'll probably get a "Thank You" for doing so! Thank them for carrying products you like and become accustomed to, and when they change them, try the new one out! You may be surprised that it is as good as or BETTER than the previous one!

Costco is a [successful] business because of its' business model and customer satisfaction! It exists for one reason, and one reason ONLY; return on investment! It is profitable because its' customers are happy and satisfied. So don't be fooled you're bringing Costco to it's knees. Pay your company fee and get back to enjoying life and the great Costco Products! And walk every day for 45 minutes. It is a great stress reliever and you'll get fit as well.

• Ep
      4th of Sep, 2009

good answer neophyte58. costco cannot control what the company does to your membership. it's as simple as if the membership is paid you can shop, if it isnt you can't. it is not fair for a person to be able to shop with their membership expired when everyone else is paying for their membership to be able to shop.

• Za
      17th of Oct, 2009

yea chill out

• Di
      2nd of Jan, 2011

I agree that the situation was frustrating, and it would have been nice if they would have been willing to make some accommodation.

The trick in this case would have been to sign up for Costco membership, then cancel it for a full refund. In fact, you can apparently cancel memberships from prior years, since their policy states:
    We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.

Since you were dissatisifed, you qualify for the full refund.