Costa Coffee / verbal abuse from two members of staff

1 Ventura Retail ParkTamworth, England, Staffordshire, United Kingdom Review updated:

My friend and I had been sat in Costa for around half an hour and we chose to leave to meet some other friends. As my friend walked out the door a member of Staff, Holly Jennings, suggested squirting the cleaning liquid at my friend's face. I saw this and said "I don't think so, you're supposed to be a member of staff" to which she laughed. We walked out and were followed out by another female member of staff who shouted "don't bother coming coming back 'cause you won't be served". I said "you're both supposed to be members of staff, that's disgusting" to which she said "yeah well". I am absolutely disgusted that a member of staff would treat a customer like that because of an issue completely unrelated to her job. If she cannot be professional then she she shouldn't be offered any job. I will take this further because there is no way my friend should have been treated like that when all we went for was a coffee and a chat. To have been banned for a personal matter is horrendous customer service and completely unacceptable. I am 20, my friend is 19 and Holly Jennings is 17. Such childish behaviour is something I would never expect and will never accept from anybody, regardless of any situation.

I'd appreciate a reply from Costa and some action to be taken.

Jade Dodd.

Comments

26th of Apr, 2012
    Costa Coffee - Loyalty cards.
    Costa Coffee
    China

Why have a loyalty card that only includes a small number of shops and locations? I had a choice of coffee shiops in Shanghai and used Costa coffee. They did not recognise the loyalty card, which was surprising, but it meant that I didn't go back there again - so you lost my loyalty!
    I am sure that technology could accommodate the swiping of a card anywhere in the world - you can use money cards anywhere.
    Any comments?
    Thanks
    Nadia

3rd of Jul, 2012

Please explain to me which part of walking out was childish? I went for a coffee with a friend and were randomly abused by two members of staff.
    It was completely unprofessional and undeserved.
    Don't comment on my complaint with your meaningless reply when you don't know the whole situation.

3rd of Jul, 2012

"As my friend walked out the door a member of Staff, Holly Jennings, suggested squirting the cleaning liquid at my friend's face. I saw this and said "I don't think so, you're supposed to be a member of staff" to which she laughed."

What is that supposed to mean. Did she actually say that she was going to squirt the cleaning liquid in your face. I have a feeling you are leaving something out.

3rd of Jul, 2012

I don't know the girl personally at all. I used to work in a nightclub and many people would come in who I weren't fond but I always treated them with respect.
    I didn't say she actually squirted it, and not for one second did I tell her how to do her job. I said she suggested squirting the cleaning liquid at my friend's face as we were leaving the premises. My friend had already walked past and didn't see, but I did.
    I'm twenty years old, why would I have an issue with a 17 year old?

How are you taking this as our fault? I went to a Coffee shop to have a latte with a friend, we walked out to meet some other friends and the girl suggested to squirt it. How is not wanting to be treated like that by STAFF wrong on our part?
    Don't call me "youth". What a ridiculous statement to say "the youth are greatly overrated". That doesn't even make any sense.
    Never would I treat or expect to be treated like that by a member of staff in any situation. I don't know the girl, I'm three years older than her and find it quite amusing for you all to be excusing her behaviour when I'm sure if you were abused by staff you'd have something to say about it also.

I wasn't looking for a petty argument to come of this over the Internet so please don't comment back if that's what you're here for.
    And as for using my full name, I have nothing to hide behind.

• Hm
      3rd of Jul, 2012

Excuse me, the said member of staff GESTURED sprayin me behind my back which my friend witnessed. I continued to leave after, as did my friend only I be sworn at by a member of staff and be told I wasn't welcome anymore. I did not stop anyone from doing their job and I'm sure Costa's CCTV would prove that. There was no harassment involved on my behalf. I do not expect someone's dislike for me personally to effect their job or my day.

• Ho
      3rd of Jul, 2012

Actually Jade and her friend have come to our place of work before. I don't know her and her friend personally but they are a wild bunch. You said they left things out and you are correct. They were making fun of people who are mentally disabled and I let them know that was inappropriate. This was when they started to swear at me and tell me that their conversation was none of my business. They told me that we would settle this after work and they would get their friends to beat me up. This is when they were told that they would no longer be served.

• Lo
      14th of Jul, 2017

@Holly Jennings I do not believe a word of what you say Holly !
    Typical fabricated story.

3rd of Jul, 2012

Of course I've been there before, it's a coffee shop.

And as for that brilliant story, that's quite heartless of you to make that up as my family have mental issues and I don't appreciate you making that up about me at all :/ so I'm out of this conversation now because you've just turned it personal.

3rd of Jul, 2012

Oh so you actually believe that lie?
    I'm not even going to defend myself against that because that's just disgusting for someone to make a profile of Holly then write that.

I know it's a fake profil because of what the person has written.

3rd of Jul, 2012

Why would there be more to it? Why the hell would I be so cruel to someone when my whole family have had some form of mental issue? I would never be so vile to another person. That's actually upsetting that you're judging me over an Internet site when you don't even know me.
    I haven't even said the girl at Costa was horrible, I don't know her, but what she did was unacceptable as a member of staff.
    But whoever has made that profile has completely gone too far.

3rd of Jul, 2012

And as proof that it's a fake profile, and not the real girl from Costa, I went on her page and she's based in Dorset, not Tamworth. So great effort, well presented, it's a shame you're nowhere near where I live.

• Ho
      3rd of Jul, 2012

Tasha is right I did not post my personal information, not because I am not willing to use it but because I am too lazy to click down and just chose a random location

However I was wrong in my suggesting that I spray cleaning spray in the friend's face and I apologize for that, but you were wrong to make fun of those who are disabled.

3rd of Jul, 2012

I have held my hands up to everything I've ever done wrong. But never will I admit to doing something I have never done, and don't ever make the mistake of thinking you can tell me to either.
    This has gone too far, I'm not even mad anymore. That insult has one way too far. I can't believe someone would do that.
    So if you could all stop commenting, I'd appreciate it.

3rd of Jul, 2012

Whoever you are, I suggest you stop now.
    I know you're not Holly, so just stop it.

• Bo
      3rd of Jul, 2012

You know what, yeah Holly you were wrong, you never threaten to spray chemicals in anyone's face. However at least you have the guts to apologize and admit your fault. Holly may be 17 and the OP and her friend may be older but Holly is the one acting more mature.

• Qu
      3rd of Jul, 2012

I am a customer who was in Costa at Ventura yesterday. I was going to make a formal complaint myself after what I witnessed in the car park but it would appear a complaint has already been made. I had called into Costa for a drink before shopping briefly at a near by store. Upon returning to my vehicle it was clear for all that the young ladies leaving Costa were been verbally abused by a member of staff outside.
    Having visited Costa moments before I recoginsed the customers as the one young lady had distinctive hair. I can confirm the these ladies were not been rude or offensive to Costa staff members nor any member of the general public who were there at this time.
    I am shocked and totally disgusted that a member of staff would use such terrible language outside the work place. It really doesn't give the company a good image if this is the kind of people they employ. Regardless of whether the customers are known the staff members or not they should always behave professionally and should not be replying to valid complaints on here in a childish manner. I for one will not be returning to Costa at Ventura in Tamworth in a hurry for fear I may receive the same treatment. I will be calling Costa's HR and making a verbal complaint regarding this matter also.

3rd of Jul, 2012

You know what you are all a munch of ###s. I am threw with you losers. Have a good day.

3rd of Jul, 2012

Also my friend and I were not making fun of disabled people. We simply stated that disabled people should not be allowed to work as they had a disabled worker working there who happened to be Holly's friend

3rd of Jul, 2012

Jade Dodd, you know what you should just ignore the other posters. Like I said I vouch for you. I was in the parking lot with heading to my car and I can saw that the employees were abusing you and that you were not being rude at all. I noticed several people were rude to you. I don't know Jade and her friend. I just happened to be in the parking lot at the time, and I just happened to come across this site and I see that the person pretending to be Holly is posting lies. After seeing how Jade and her friend were treated I will not ever be returning to the Costa at Ventura in Tamworth, I just might receive the same treatment as Jade did for voicing my opinion. I don't know Jade personally, but Holly is paid to work there and if this is the case I am the customer and she should treat me better, instead she threatened to spray her cleaning solution in my friend's face and I won't accept the apology.

3rd of Jul, 2012

WHO HAS MADE A FAKE PROFILE OF ME?!

a) it's spelt through* not threw
    b) it says you joined today, when I made my complaint yesterday
    c) you have too much time on your hands

3rd of Jul, 2012

What are you actually on about?
    Why would I make a fake account with the same name as my own?
    I don't know Holly, would you like me to say it one more time or are you having trouble registering that?