Cortez Towing Company / Terrible service!

1 9410 MISSION BLVDRiverside, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 951-361-3565

Major Scam artist Cortez Towing Company of 9410 Mission Riverside CA 92509,[protected], illegally towed and left damages on my vehicle from my private property in from of my garage.In less than 5 minutes they came while i was loading my car to pick up husband, because of the redeployment from Iraq they came and illegally towed my auto and said that I was blocking a fire lane.All fire lanes are indicated by red paint around the compound.This was not professional services they need to be off the market and investigated.They lack honor, commitment.

Now I pay $232.00 in towing fees in order to get my car back and another $1800 damages to fix my car), because It seriously delayed me in the p/u of my husband.Cortex company are taking advantage of poor people and ripping people off in illegally towing fees.

I want them to reimburse my towing fees and fix my car with the damages they created. Very distressed!

Va

Comments

• Mi
      28th of Dec, 2007

Cortez Towing does "Predatory" or "Patrol" Towing which is illegal in California. They need to change their towing practices. I see numerous law suits in their future.

• Je
      7th of May, 2008

as i was walking out of my friends apartment, i saw my car being towed by cortez towing. after pleeding with them to leave my car due to ILLEGAL TOWING they left it and with my lap top, camera, and cash. i am filling a police report and law suit, unfortanatly my law suit by itself only qualifies for small claims, I urge any other victim to contact me so appropiate measurse can be taken to bring this companey to justice. contact number is (951) 240 8719, allt. (951) 252 3411

• De
      16th of Jul, 2008

Cortez Towing made me pay cash only, which is illegal because they are not offering two forms of payment, and they said they did not have change. I am demanding my money back and filing a report.

• Am
      6th of Dec, 2009

My house is in a community with a Home Owner's Association, and it has a shared driveway between five units. Neighbors often park their vehicles in the driveway which obstructs our ability to get our car in or out. No one has been cited as far as I know, nor has security done anything. My wife parked our car behind our garage (which doesn't obstruct others) to unload some things she had bought from the store, but she forgot to move it again. The next Sundaymorning our car was gone, and when we called the police we were told it had been towed by Cortez Towing. They have apparently been targeting vehicles in our neighborhood.

I looked online to find out what the vehicle code requires for towing companies, and article 22658 (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22658.htm) states that towing companies must try to notify the owners of the vehicle that their vehicle was going to be towed (they didn't, and were home at the time), the reason, who authorized it, and provide photo as evidence of the infraction. We contacted Cortez, and were told that they did have the car, and it would cost $309 in cash to get it out. Since it was Sunday their office was closed, but they would send someone to meet us (which costs an additional $78.50 because it is "after hours".) We went to their tow yard at the stated time, then waited for over an hour for their driver to show up. He stated that it would be $309. I asked if we could pay by credit card, and he said "cash only" because the office was closed. (This is illegal; they have to accept credit cards according to article 22658 section k of the vehicle code). I asked for a copy of the written authorization of the tow from our Home Owners Association. (Vehicle code requires this too). He did not have any paperwork, but stated someone else could meet us in another couple hours if I wanted to wait. I asked why it cost so much, their posted tow rate is $157. There is $39 storage fee, then the $78.50 for after hours. That adds up to $274.50. He stated the other $35 was for "special equipment" that they used.
    Since there wasn't anyone we could talk to to object to the fees, and the lack of proof that they had been authorized to tow the vehicle, we paid the $309 and left. I have found many other complaints against this company online (/URL removed/), and am considering going to small claims court to fight the fees. Given the long history of problems with the company, it should not be too difficult to show a pattern of abuse.

25th of May, 2010

IT HAPPENED TO MYSELF, WIFE, AND 2 YEAR OLD GRANDSON LEFT WITH A FULL CART OF GROCERIES AND NO DIAPERS, WATER, SNACKS OR ANY THING FOR OUR GRANDSON, NOT TO MENTION MY MEDICATIONS WERE LEFT IN THE CAR THAT WAS TOWED WITHOUT ANY TYPE OF "GOOD FAITH" EFFORT TO ASK THE MARKET TO USE THE P.A. SYSTEM, , THEIR DOGS AND MAY THE LORD CURSE THEM AND RECIEVE WHAT THEY HAVE GIVEN, 100 TIMES OVER!!!

• Ra
      20th of Jun, 2010

Cortez Towing violates several sections of CVC that can result in 4 times the fees they charge if they are taken to small claims court.

A $ 300.00 charge could cost Cortez 1, 200.00 if you win. Document the facts and photograph the location your vehicle was illegally removed from. Make sure you show that required signs ( must be visible at entry to property) are absent or do not meet specific requirements.

If you have a strong case you may want to use a lawyer, see website below.

• La
      1st of Sep, 2010

I had the same trouble with cortez towing, it appears their illegal activities are their standard operating procedures. It appears this has been going on for years without anything being done to stop them. It looks like they make alot of money this way and just keep betting not to many people will say anything.

• Jj
      26th of Dec, 2016

This go fund me account is for legal fees for a law suit against Cortez towing. Not only for legal fees, but for recovery of illegal towing, car damage, other expenses (Taxi's, UBER, etc.) not only fro myself, but for anyone else that has had illegal towing issues with them. Businesses in the strip mall their who have suffered loss of potential business etc. as a result of Illegal towing by Cortez towing. I would also be looking to reimburse any Go Fund Me donations.