Cornerstone / Unlicensed contracting!

1 413 NE Van Loon LaneCape Coral, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1 239 573 5124

This complaint is an update to my previous one against Cornerstone Windows. As I stated before, we foolishly signed a contract on Nov.28, 2007 & didn't hear from them again until we called them the end of Jan. 2008. We were given all kinds of excuses & after 2 weeks of this, we told them we were going to cancel & they threatened us with a lawsuit & a lien on our home. I did contact a lawyer & we sent letters to both the cornerstone company & the GE Money bank where Cornerstone had opened an account in our name & withdrew 1, 237.50. After several weeks our lawyer received a letter from Cornerstone saying that our windows were in & they were insisting on installing them. The lawyer felt we had to let them go ahead because we signed a contract with no specific date for install. I then called our local County code people & explained to them what had been going on for 4 months & they said they would look into it & get back to us. Cornerstone set up 3 different times to come for the install & finally showed up the end of March. My Brother told me that when they showed up, I was to ask them for ID, Contractors license & Insurance & they were to have a copy of the original contract. The first two guys were only able to show me their drivers license & said the boss was coming & he would have all the info. I then went in the house & called Charlotte County code & told them what was going on & they told me to keep them there & they were on their way. After about 10 minutes the boss knocked at my door & asked me what my problem was. His name is Steve Chikitus & when I explained that I needed to see proof of insurance & licenses & the contract, he said he didn't need them because he had the permit & he shoved it at me. I told him I would go in the house to look it over & he became quite angry. I told him I needed to make sure everything was on the up & up before they started any work on my house. He then called Dale Nungester (the manager that threatened to sue us & put the lien on our house) and Mr. Nungester started to call our phone, but I let it ring. I waited about 10 minutes & went back outside & Mr. Chikitus was hollering at me & asked me why I didn't answer my phone & he wanted to know what the hell my problem was. I told him I had no desire to speak with Mr. Nungester & that I had people coming to make sure that everything was ok before work began. He ranted & raved some more & was insisting that I talk to his boss on the phone & I said no, that I was going to go back in and wait for the code enforcement people. After about 10 minutes I could hear them packing the windows back up & starting their vehicles & I was afraid they would be gone before the code people showed up, so we went out to get license plate info. Just as they were about 500 yards down the road a county truck pulled up & we pointed them towards the two trucks down the road. They went after them & cut them off & questioned them for about 30 minutes. We waited at our house & the county people came & told us that our contract was null & void because they didn't have a license when they were writing contracts. They will have to pay all the money back that they took from people & also will have to pay back GE Money Bank. We know one couple had given them 10, 000 & the county made them give it back. They didn't get a license until the end of Jan. 2008 & I hope the county took that away from them. I highly recommend that anyone that has done business with this company call the Charlotte County Code & talk to Shonna Jenkins at [protected]. She can help you. They have been investigating this company for several weeks. I also want to warn people to NEVER sign anything until you have taken the time to check out the company you will be dealing with. Call your local code office & check on their license status, make them give you references & check those out, make sure that whatever they promise you verbally is also on the contract & that there is a completion date.

The sad truth is that Florida is full of scam artists & you must educate yourself to save yourself from a real nightmare. We also found out that the windows they were going to install were not up to code & we would have gotten in trouble when the county inspected & then we would have had to get someone else to put the correct ones in. How do these people live with themselves???

Comments

11th of Apr, 2008
    Cornerstone - Failure to deliver!
    Cornerstone
    413 NE Van Loon Ln Suite 104
    Cape Coral
    Florida
    Phone: 239-573-5124

We ordered windows and were never notified by the Co. that the Co making the windows were no longer going to make anymore windows and were closing their doors as of june 2008 what i don't understand if we had waited 12 weeks for was promise to us and we are only in the month of April 08 why are the windows not being delivered as promised. We have found this to be bad business practice, we have asked the Co. Cornerstone to just refund our deposit of $1000 and are now being told because we have declined on a alternate window we have now lost all rights to our deposit, because the contract reads a 3 day rescinding period, whats wrong with this picture, sounds like a scam to me!

27th of Apr, 2008

I'M SORRY YOU WENT THRU THAT, BUT I CAN TELL YOU IT WASN'T ME YOU TALKED TO. I FOUND OUT THEY DIDN, T HAVE A LICENSE AND THEY USED MY NAME. I KNOW SOMEONE WHO WORKED FOR THEM AND IS NOW GONE FROM THERE. YOU SHOULDN'T BE PUTTING MY NAME ON THE WEB WITHOUT KNOWING FOR SURE WHO IT WAS YOU TALKED TO. I'M IN THE IN THE PROCESS OF DEALING WITH CORNERSTONE AT THIS TIME AND I DON'T THINK THEY'LL BE HAPPY WITH THE OUTCOME. ONCE AGAIN I'M SORRY FOR WHAT YOU'VE BEEN THRU. (THE REAL STEVE CHIKITUS)

• Ed
      28th of Apr, 2008

I hope that you are able to resolve the issue with this company using your name. Your name was on our contract as the installer & the man that showed up the day of installation said his name was Steve Chikitus, but he refused to show me any ID or a license. I have sent this information to our lawyer & Charlotte County Investigators & ABC7 news. Maybe we can work together to prevent other people from being defrauded by this company.

11th of Jun, 2008

AFTER FURTHER PROBING INTO THIS MATTER, IT WAS FOUND THAT STEVE CHIKITUS HAD NO PART OF THIS OR ANY IDEA WHAT WAS GOING ON. HE IS AN UPSTANDING CONTRACTOR AND A CARING PERSON WHO CARES ABOUT THE WELL BEING OF PEOPLE IN NEED, AND HAD HAS DONE MANY GOOD THINGS FOR NEEDY FOLKS. THANKS FOR READING THIS. {HS 15 YEAR DAUGHTER}

5th of Aug, 2009

FROM STEVE CHIKITUS; I'VE ASKED YOU TO COMMENT ON THIS TO LET PEOPLE KNOW IT WAS'NT ME. AT LEAST GIVE ME THAT MUCH. YOU KNOW IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE USING MY NAME AND LICENSE#. AT LEAST COMMENT YOU KNOW IT WASN'T ME...THANKS...STEVE CHIKITUS

3rd of Oct, 2009

IT SURE WOULD BE NICE OF YOU TO LET PEOPLE KNOW THAT CORNERSTONE WAS USING MY NAME AND LIC # WITHOUT ME KNOWING ABOUT IT, AND THAT YOU DIDN'T EVER SEE ID OF THE GUY USING MY NAME.. STEVE ROSS WAS THE ONE PRETENDING TO BE ME. JUST TAKE A FEW SECONDS OF YOUR TIME AND LET OTHERS KNOW I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. THANK YOU VERY MUCH...STEVE

6th of Jul, 2014

AFTER ALL THESE YEARS AND KNOWING IT WAS STEVE ROSS[ FROM CORNERSTONE] THAT WAS PRETENDING TO BE ME, AND AFTER CHARLOTTE CO. KNOWING IT WASN'T ME, I STILL HAVE TO SEE MY NAME INVOLVED IN THIS KIND OF CRAP. YOU KNOW IT WASN'T ME, ALSO MAYBE YOU COULD TAKE A LITTLE TIME AND CORRECT THIS . ATTACHED IS LETTER FROM BOB HAILEY [OWNER OF CORNERSTONE] QWNING UP TO WHAT THEY DID