Core Naturals - Salba / Missrepresentation of product

Core Naturals claim to be the United States exclusive supplier of certified Salba seed, a tested version of Salvia Hispanica L. When growing this variety has white flowers. The common version of Salvia Hispanica L. is known as Chia and produces purple flowers when grown.

For a number of reasons Salba seed commands a substantial premium over Chia seed on the market. All of the seeds I tested from samples of "Salba" from Core Naturals grew purple flowers. I notice the latest gimmick is offering "ground Salba" which would of course solve the problem of having people discover this fraud by growing the product.

David Roberts

Comments

• Pr
      6th of Mar, 2009

The IRS should check them out along with the Better Business Bureau.

• St
      11th of Apr, 2009

This company is known for its consumer fraud. You must wonder why none of our local stores carry the product. They know better than to buy from a company like this one

• Ry
      15th of Apr, 2009

I planted Salba seeds 2 weeks ago, and the resulting plants bore about 95% white flowers. As far as I understand, Salba even says on their website that there are some "common chia" seeds that make it through the screening process. Regardless, Salba still boasts substantially higher omega-3 and fiber numbers. Plus, they have scientific evidence to boot.

• Mi
      10th of Jun, 2009

David, it is a shame you slag a good company like Core Naturals. Maybe you work for one of the companies that sell an inferior junk "chia" seed.

You know David, one of those companies that don't do any research, don't spend any money properly screening their products and buy products grown in Mexico where they are fertilized with human waste and sprayed with illegal pesticides.

Do us a favor and give your head a shake. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Stop trying to grow your own Salba and just drop the bucks and get the health benefits - how much is your health worth?

I've been buying Salba & using Salba religiously for over 2 years now and I don't care what they charge!

• Gu
      10th of Nov, 2009

All I know is all my life I've struggled with weight gain due to my love for food and snacking. After finding Salba my appetite has come to be much more normal. I take 2 tablespoons of this stuff with water and the rest of the day I can only eat a fraction of what I used to.
    Late night snacking was a very hard hurdle for me to stop. I tried to stop the snacking but I'd get so hungry and I could not ignore my compulsions to order a pizza or break open a big bag of chips. With Salba in my daily routine the latest I eat is about 6pm when I have my dinner and thats it. I don't even think about food.
    I have a daily routine that includes Psylium husk with bentonite, Virgin coconut oil and Salba. The rest of the day is just sensible eating and some exercise.
    When I started this it took me about 4 months to shed 25 pounds. It was mostly due to my nutritional diet. Although I do try to make exercise a constant in my routine I'm not that active.
    Most of my nutritional habits like the psylium bentonite and coconut oil I've been doing for a few years with some success. But the last peice of the puzzle that brought it altogether was the Salba. Salba is what allows me to control my hunger. I've read the other benefits and some of the remarks against them. I don't really care if its 2X better than this or has 10X more of this then that. All I know is that I don't over eat with Salba. And I feel like I eat plenty enough. Its like dieting without thinking about it. Seems like cheating.

22nd of Nov, 2009

Actually David is very right. I am a leading supplier in the Natural Food Industry with over 25 years experience and can attest that Core Naturals (aka NaturalGuidance.com and SalbaStore.com) is distributing a fraudulent and inferior product than what they are actually representing. It a shame that this industry is trying hard to maintain a strong reputation of delivering quality and goodness while companies like this degrade the value to the consumer. Buyer Beware!!!

• He
      23rd of Nov, 2009

Actually, the truth is somewhere in the middle... As I understand it the farmers that were actually growing some of the seeds used in the Salba products hired and paid Dr. Vladimir Vuksan (the head researcher) for his supposed third party research by offering him stock in the company. There's some big to-do over the trademark rights for Salba and it looks as though the Mealla Brothers that claim to have invented this product are claiming that they are the only ones with the actual "seed". If you dig deep enough, some of the involved say the Mealla Brothers actually stole the seed from it's birthplace and 4th generation farmers in Acatic Mexico. Dr. Vuksan of the University of Toronto is grouped up with these criminals who continue to defraud the public - he told Avis Favaro of CTV News in Canada that he was never paid by Salba! Liar, liar, pants on fire! He also has ownership in PGX Fiber which he also teamed up on the research for (OUCH!)...
    I'm sure in time it will all get sorted out but all I know is thet I've been buying Salba in the bottle (Core Naturals) since it came out in 2006 and I've never had an issue - even wrote in and got a returned email from the CEO which impresed me.
    INDUSTRY SUPPLIER: I wonder if your comments are designed around your own personal gain? Hmm... let me think!

12th of Jan, 2010

HealthyWarrior...

While your digging around, check out www.usnutra.com and if you feel so inclined, give us a call... you'll find a Core Naturals account on file (which is ironically, very past due)... and while your on the website, check out the product listing... Don't go looking for Salba though, because the closest thing you'll find is Chia...

Personal Gain?

Sounds like you've been getting ripped off since 2006, and now your pants are on fire... nothing "personal"...

11th of May, 2010

WARNING!!! BUYER BEWARE!!! Core Naturals has changed their name to Ancient Naturals!!!

19th of May, 2010

Industry Supplier I can tell you that as holder of the trademarks on Salba, Mitch Propster from Ancient Naturals has always paid us accordingly and on time. He has never been sued or taken to court by anyone in Salba including the growers of the seed in Argentina, Salba Corp. S.A. nor has he or his company been party to any ongoing litigation. Mitch Propster is recognized by Salba Corp. N.A. as the main supplier of Salba grain in the U.S. Please identify your company because hiding behind "Industry Insider" just means that you are a disgruntled competitor trying to stir up trouble.

Salba Corp. N.A.

20th of May, 2010

Salba N.A. - I have identified myself above and I am not a competitor.

You stated "nor has he or his company been party to any ongoing litigation"

Perhaps you can explain the following public notice posted on the internet which names you both?

28th of Feb, 2011

From the King of Bad Debt, Mitch Propster, comes this ridiculous testimony... http://dytonco.com/testimony.html