Cooking Club of America / failure to honor commitment

1 2147 Spyglass Dr.La Place, United States Review updated:

I've been a member of Cooking Club since Feb. 2009 - member # [protected]. My subscription was paid in full and expired March 2015. However, I never received the Winter / Holiday issue, nor the Spring issue of the magazine. I sent an email earlier this year inquiring about my subscription, but Cooking Club never responded. I was going to renew my subscription, but am hesitant after reading other consumers' complaints regarding this same issue. What is going on with Cooking Club? I would like the two issues that I paid for - but never received.

Ju
May 14, 2015

Comments

• Ju
      20th of Jun, 2007
    Cooking Club of America - Keep sending bills!

I have never joined the Cooking Club of America and I don't know how they got my name but they keep sending bills. I owe them nothing. I never have joined!

• Kr
      28th of Jun, 2007

I have received the notice from a collection agency also and had the same response as others only got an automated service. I had canceled my membership after the 30-day free trial. WHAT A SCAM!!!

• Ju
      21st of Sep, 2007
    Cooking Club of America - They will not stop sending unsolicited merchandise

I have read the other complaints about Cooking Club of America and completely agree. They will not respond to written requests to stop sending unsolicited junk. Their phone number is phony. What I would love to know is if anyone has found a way to stop the problem. Advise smb!

• Ri
      4th of Nov, 2007
    Cooking Club of America - A total scam operation!

This company states that there is a free trial with NO obligation. They send books which have been returned unopened and then send dunning messages stating that payments are past due. A total scam operation!

• Ri
      4th of Nov, 2007

This company is a fraud and should be prosecuted!

• Br
      18th of Dec, 2007

I agree with all ht complaints.

• Lo
      5th of Feb, 2008

I have has of today received ten, TEN cookbooks from this company. I've returned everyone of these books. Still being billed. I've had to go to the post office request a confirmation of return ( which costs money) to show i've returned this books. DON'Y sign up for this company...

• Ti
      11th of Feb, 2008

We have had nothing but problems with this company since my wife filled out for a membership. They sent us a mandolin, which goes for 40.00 dollars in a store. They ask us to fill out the questioner, which she did and send it into them and the mandolin would be free. Guess what happen next was that they sent us a bill for 129.00 dollars. I called them and ask them to send us a label for in which to send it back to them. So far have not received the label, but have had my wife brought in to a so called collection agency. The law states that if you have not ask for the item in the mail and they send it to it's yours to keep. But what I would like to be able to do is that they have given my wife a bad mark on her credited report and would like to press charges against them for defamation of charactor.

2nd of Mar, 2008
    Cooking Club of America - Received a bill for activating, never ever got this book!
    627 2nd Street
    Pennsylvania
    Phone: 412-828-3641
    www.cookingclub.com

I Never heard of this "Cooking Club of America" nor did I ever receive anything. When on Mar. 1st 2008, I receive a bill for the first payment on a 12 month subscription.

• Jc
      5th of Mar, 2008

I recieved the interesting invitation and being an avid cook I was curious. Thanks to all the complaints the "invitation" now lies with the other junk mail in the shredder. I knew there had to be a gimmick and now I know what it is. It appears this company is guilty of 1) false advertising 2) fraudulent claims 3) fraudulent billing 4) possibly FTC violations 5) mail fraud... among a slew of other charges. Perhaps one needs to send them a legal, binding contract which forces them to live up to their claims?! I would suggest that everyone who has been scammed by this outfit file a complaint (free of charge, by the way) with the Consumer Protection Division of their state's Attorney General's Office and with the AG Office in Minnesota (where their "invitation" is mailed from) and with the AG Office in PA where they also appear to do their shady business. Include a copy of the "invitation" and any further correspondence (bills, etc.) recieved from them. Name the company and the name of Betsy Wray, the purported executive director. It is interesting that this "club" is not now or has it ever been a registered company in Minnesota... or anywhere else. It has no legitimate license to do business and you will note that you find no disclaimers or legal information in any of their mailings. Betsy Wray advertises as "Editor" of ""Cooking Pleasures" in addition to being the director of CCA. You can go to the MN Secretary of State website and download complaint forms and information.

• La
      25th of Mar, 2008

YOU sent me a book I did NOT order and I will NOT pay for it !!
    Write back or I will report you to better business bureau
    Lauren Hyman, MSW

• Pa
      28th of Mar, 2008

I have had no trouble with the Cooking Pleasures membership. They once sent me a book I didn't want, so I called them (the number worked fine) to request a postage-paid label and asked them to stop sending me cookbooks. I received the label, plus confirmation of my book benefit decline and have received no books since. No one should be paying S&H charges on merchandise they didn't order. Get the label.

29th of Mar, 2008
    Cooking Club of America - Never/would not update my email address when it was changed so I couldn't get a lot of the 'offerings'
    Minnesota

Would not update my email despite repeated requests and therefore I did not receive info and could not participate in the online 'benefits.'

3rd of Apr, 2008
    Cooking Club of America - Collection
    Houston
    Texas

I signed up for the lifetime membership to Cooking Club of America because my husband liked to cook. I made a couple payments and he got sick last summer and consequently passed away this February. I called to cancel the membership but I keep getting notices from collection agency.
    This is ridiculous.

13th of Apr, 2008
    Cooking Club of America - Thanks to this site, I didn't fall for it!
    Texas

I received an "invitation" to join this wonderful club, because it was 'well-known that I'm a great cook'. That was my first clue that this is a sham, so I decided to check the internet for complaints and just happened onto this site. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all those out there that took the time to tell of their experiences. I should know by now that anything that sounds too good to be true, isn't!!!

14th of Apr, 2008
    Cooking Club of America - Worried

I recently signed up with the Cooking Club of America, like two days ago, and decided to check out their website, instead I was directed here, after reading everything, I have decided that it was probably not the best idea and now I'm not sure what to do, if you have any ideas, please let me know.

• Ta
      11th of May, 2008

i would cancel my membership with them in writing! Be sure to keep a copy of the letter

20th of May, 2008

I was just about to go to my bank and get a money order to pay the 2 year dues/membership fee. I guess the first thing I should have questioned was, how do they know I'm a good cook? Second I didn't want them to have my checking account number so I was going to send a money oreder!! HELLO, I knew subcontiously that these was a scam!!! Thanks to Sandra, and the rest of you I am going to throw away my dues invoice. Oh! and did anyone receive the Gardeners version yet? I did, and like a dummy I mailed it in, however when that dues invoice shows up, I'm tossing it too!!!

• Al
      10th of Jun, 2008
    Cooking Club of America - Non compliance with written promises
    Cooking Club of America

I have paid the 2 years dues for membership to this club and i have yet to receive the promised items... my check has been cleared thru my bank.

• Li
      21st of Jun, 2008

I want to tell you what my free gift was... it was a spong that you put in water and it gets bigger, oh the best part was a small magnet for the fridg. I thought that was a little cheezy.