Cookies Charms / No full refund
I put a $100 deposit for an $800 puppy with xxxxxxx, the breeder and owner of Cookies Charms.
The night of December 19, Friday, she called me to tell me that the puppy had a small umbilical hernia. I didn't know much about hernias and was uneasy about getting a puppy with one but she convinced me to talk to Dr. xxxxx first, her vet, and my vet here before making a decision. Before we hung up, I asked her If I would get my refund back if I decided not to get the puppy and she said that she'll have to ask her husband first. Next day she called me and said that she's spoken to her husband and that they'll just not sell me the puppy and just give me back my refund. I would really like to get the puppy so I had asked her if she would just give me until Monday to decide because I needed to speak to the vets before I make a decision and I need to know what I was getting into (the vets are closed on the weekend). Monday, I talked to Dr. xxxxx. He did say that this umbilical hernia is a hereditary defect, the puppy will be okay, its' not a big deal, but she'll have to have it fixed when she gets spayed. I called my vet here in town and they said it'll cost $60 to get it fixed if I have it done at the same time as getting her spayed. During this time I've been reading a lot about this hernia and have also found that I have to watch it closely because there can be serious problems that can rarely but possibly occur. If I have to get it fixed sooner than she gets spayed, according to my vet, it'll cost a couple hundred dollars. If it was an emergency that I have to take her to an emergency animal hospital, it'll cost a couple of thousand. That same day, even with the risk I mentioned above, I called xxxxxx to tell her I would like to get the puppy, but I asked her to lower her price $60 less as this is how much it'll cost me to have it fixed. (And I do need to get it fixed according to her vet.) She refused and said she'll only take $50 off. And really it's only a $10 difference from what I'm asking vs. what she's willing to give, but, it's the principle of it, it just makes sense that the price of the puppy should go down that certain amount because that's how much it'll cost for me to get it fixed. So, I've decided not to take the puppy. And she said that that is fine. She will be sending me my money back. I waited and waited for my refund but none arrived. I emailed her on January 9 to check up on it and she called me back January 12. She said she thinks her husband sent my refund back last Saturday, and that it was only for $50. I was surprised of course, as this is not what agreed on. She went on and on about how most breeders will not be giving me my refund at all and that I should read this and that website, and her contract. I explained to her that all those doesn't matter becaused she promised me that she'll give me my refund back with no mention of just giving me half.
She promised me the refund and 18 days later she sent me back my refund that is only half of my deposit. She didn't even bother to call me to talk to me about that for 18 days! She told me the $50 was for her time spent. But my time was spent too. I didn't sign up for puppy with a hernia! I had to call here and there, spent my time reading up on umbilical hernias, and got my hopes up in getting this really cute puppy.